Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas for covering old palisade fence ..help ???

• 04-02-2014 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi all,
    Well here is my problem. I have palisade fencing all around my back garden. It's nearly 15 years old and showing its age. I can't replace all the panels as it is shared with 5 neighbours, so I'm wondering has anyone got any ideas on how I could cover my side with something...my only idea so far is to screw some battens horizontally all around the existing fence at the bottom,middle and top of the concrete uprights and then screw new timber or maybe bamboo rolls vertically on the battens ??....if anyone has any advice or do's and don'ts on this I would really appreciate it. Cheers.:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I'd plant something in front of it, rather than trying to get something up it. A hedge or border.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

ajdublin wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Well here is my problem. I have palisade fencing all around my back garden. It's nearly 15 years old and showing its age. I can't replace all the panels as it is shared with 5 neighbours, so I'm wondering has anyone got any ideas on how I could cover my side with something...my only idea so far is to screw some battens horizontally all around the existing fence at the bottom,middle and top of the concrete uprights and then screw new timber or maybe bamboo rolls vertically on the battens ??....if anyone has any advice or do's and don'ts on this I would really appreciate it. Cheers.:confused:

Unusual to see such fencing used in domestic gardens. Yes you can clad, but I would not think the effort would be justified to attach bamboo roll (very light and limited lifespan). It would be helpful if you could post a photo of the existing fence.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ajdublin

Thanks for answering. I don't want to plant anything as we got garden redone last summer. I will post a photo up tomorrow and see what comes back. Cheers all.

http://imageshack.com/a/img36/2886/5xw7.jpg
    http://imageshack.com/a/img854/4749/hrft.jpg

Hi all,
    Not sure if this works,should be two photos of fence...if anyone has another option to cover up fence that's different from my first post please share....cheers.

http://imageshack.com/a/img36/2886/5xw7.jpg
    http://imageshack.com/a/img854/4749/hrft.jpg

Hi all,
    Not sure if this works,should be two photos of fence...if anyone has another option to cover up fence that's different from my first post please share....cheers.

OP - that's post and panel fencing! Yes you can clad the area without removing any of the existing fencing. It would have been better to have done so before you landscaped your garden, just a little more tricky as a retrofit.

I'll post you a before and after of a similar requirement.

• Advertisement

A couple of Before & After photos to illustrate how this can be done.

Thanks very much for taking the time and effort to reply...that looks very well..
    Can you tell me what type of timber/boards are they ? And I'm assuming they are screwed to the timber on each upright concrete post underneath. As I plan on doing this myself any other advice is very much appreciated....thanks again.

Thanks very much for taking the time and effort to reply...that looks very well..
    Can you tell me what type of timber/boards are they ? And I'm assuming they are screwed to the timber on each upright concrete post underneath. As I plan on doing this myself any other advice is very much appreciated....thanks again.

Timber battens are fixed to concrete posts (Express nails work well) and the timber boarding (pressure treated shiplap) is screw (brass) fixed to the timber battens. IMO a staggered joint looks better, but some people like a continuous joint.

The problem with PostnPanel fencing is that they are rarely have an even level and often poorly aligned. Therefore it is very important you ensure an even and consistent top level and use shims (timber wedges) when attaching battens to concrete posts to ensure that you also have a true vertical line.

Great stuff. Thanks for advice.

Advertisement