Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV that automatically plays a movie file (eg .mp4) on a loop when turned on

• 04-02-2014 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    I'm looking to display a tv in a shop, playing a short promo movie for a product.
    I bought a TV in power city and it does the job. It takes a USB memory stick and plays the movie on a loop. The problem is, you have to set it up each morning....
    (Turn it on > Select Media > Select Video > Select Repeat > Select OK)
    Hardly rocket science, but the shop owner rejected it. He want's something with a 1 step operation. Just turn it on and it automatically plays the movie on a loop all day long. Who am I to argue??
    I consulted the tv manual and there doesn't seem to be an option to do this.
    Anybody here got any suggestions on what bit of kit might make this possible?

Thanks in advance.
    Barry

Note: I can put the movie file onto a DVD if necessary. The display size should be approx 19-24".

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

For a display at that size would it not be better sand easier to use a cheap PC instead of a TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭afishyfish

Sabre Man wrote: »
    For a display at that size would it not be better sand easier to use a cheap PC instead of a TV?

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't see how.
    Instead of a tv with a single power cable, I'd have a CPU, a monitor, a cable to connect them, 2 separate power cables and a mouse and/or keyboard to control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

With your current setup why do you have to set it up every morning? Is it because it's being turned off each evening? Would it be possible to leave it on all the time if it's too much hassle to set it up?

I can't see how it would be possible to just turn on the TV and have it play the video automatically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

Get a programmable remote control and record a macro that maps all the necessary steps into one button press. I set one up a few years ago when my son was about 2 or 3 so if he pressed a certain button on the remote the tv and sky box would turn on and the sky box would go through the menus to other channels and put CBeebies on for him. If a 3 year old could handle that, I'm sure your shop owner could too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭afishyfish

Get a programmable remote control and record a macro that maps all the necessary steps into one button press. I set one up a few years ago when my son was about 2 or 3 so if he pressed a certain button on the remote the tv and sky box would turn on and the sky box would go through the menus to other channels and put CBeebies on for him. If a 3 year old could handle that, I'm sure your shop owner could too :)

Thanks fella. This sounds like it could work. Any chance of a link to a webpage that details how to go about this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

afishyfish wrote: »
    Thanks fella. This sounds like it could work. Any chance of a link to a webpage that details how to go about this?

Well you could pick one up in Harvey Norman or Argos most of the time. Occasionally Aldi and Lidl do there own versions for about 10 euro but expect to pay more in Argos.

These remotes have a small LCD display and you can through menus on them. You will find something like "Program Macro". What you do is press one of the programmable buttons on the remote where you want to store the function. Then you go through the series of button presses like turning on the tv, going into the menu and pressing play. It's all explained in the manual.

Advertisement