Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formating a USB stick

Options
  • 04-02-2014 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

Re formating an SD card or USB thumb drive, is it better to format in the dedicated device, eg camcorder, or my laptop? Laptop gives me unit allocation size. I imagine the actual device sets up appropriate file structure however what I imagine doesn't mean best practice !
    Also what are the min write speeds for USB thumb HD recording?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Check what formats the particular device supports (probably Fat32) and then format the card/usb stick in the laptop with the power plugged in (no chance of running out of power half way through a format).

The read/write speeds are determined by the usb connector not the medium connected to it, or the type of data being written.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭mrtom

[QUOTE=FSL;88836036

The read/write speeds are determined by the usb connector not the medium connected to it, or the type of data being written.[/QUOTE]

So the usb connector refers to usb 2 or usb 3 speed ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

format it on your computer fat32

memory sticks and cards have different speeds look for class 10

usb 3 is come in on newer computer will be able to read and write faster

In my case, I have a HD Satellite receiver with PVR. The unit can handle FAT32 or NTFS. File size limitation in FAT 32 means a HD movie gets split into multiple files so my preference is the superior NTFS.
    My question is about whether to format the USB stick on the receiver itself or on my laptop which gives me the option of selecting unit allocation size.

FSL's comment “The read/write speeds are determined by the usb connector not the medium connected to it, or the type of data being written” is not clear to me, though interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

What was meant was a hard drive connected to your motherboard will transfer data considerably faster than if connected via USB 3.0 which in turn is faster than USB 2.0. The same holds for memory sticks, 3.0 is faster than 2.0.

• Advertisement

FSL wrote: »
    What was meant was a hard drive connected to your motherboard will transfer data considerably faster than if connected via USB 3.0 which in turn is faster than USB 2.0. The same holds for memory sticks, 3.0 is faster than 2.0.

Understood, however USB 2.0 memory sticks come in a varity of read/write speeds. Back to my question what is the min read/write speed to record HD with out frame drop out?

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

mrtom wrote: »
    Understood, however USB 2.0 memory sticks come in a varity of read/write speeds. Back to my question what is the min read/write speed to record HD with out frame drop out?

It depends on the format and bitrate of the source.
    Chances are its something like AVC-HD which caps out at 18Mb/s (2.25MB/s).

maki wrote: »
    It depends on the format and bitrate of the source.
    Chances are its something like AVC-HD which caps out at 18Mb/s (2.25MB/s).

File : 1080i 6421kbps .mts

18Mb/s These are the values I'm looking for, thanks!

Advertisement