Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Loungers on Tour - is there a doctor in the house?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I've three more exams left, then Christmas holliers. Himself is coming to visit on Wednesday and we're going to eat all the food and drink all the drinks :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I love how Irish this is:

http://imgur.com/a/doDWH

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

^^^^ a prolonged and much-needed LOL there, DK!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Das Kitty wrote: »
    I love how Irish this is:

http://imgur.com/a/doDWH

That reminds me of the bit in Frances Ha where she goes to Paris for an amazing weekend on her own, she can't get in contact with her friends there and spends the weekend either sleeping in or reading a book in her apartment. Myself and a friend both just said, "That'd be me."

I'm at a gig at The Academy now, Gogol Bordello. I came up on the Aircoach with a friend and I'm getting a late bus home. If it stays this easy I can see myself going to a lot more bands in Dublin.

• Advertisement

I'm at a gig at The Academy now, Gogol Bordello. I came up on the Aircoach with a friend and I'm getting a late bus home. If it stays this easy I can see myself going to a lot more bands in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

I absolutely love The Academy and I've only been there once!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Went to see Devin Townsend there a few years back, tis a good venue alright :)

Gogol were amazing. I had a pint (5.40 for Paulaner, not bad) for the first half of the show and was on the upper level just taking it all in. When I finished the pint I just said feck it and started dancing. it was absolutely brilliant. I'm just disappointed one of my friends couldn't make it. she'd have loved it. We went for a burger after and I can tell you a cold wet street after dancing full on for an hour and being all sweaty is miserable. I swapped feeling human and a coffee for not being able to sleep on the bus home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭PhysiologyRocks

I love this thread!

Hate how little time I have lately.

But I have actually managed to save a few lives in the meantime, so that's something.

(I have also reassured people who came in with paper cuts, but that's kind of fun too.) :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

At least this is the last week before Christmas though, flying back on Sunday :D

Snap!! Heathrow 9pm into Dublin :D

Had my interview for the Rugby World cup volunteer position Saturday and was in bed since. Went into work Monday and couldn't catch my breath, so finished at 1 and went straight to the doctors. Turns out I've a chest infection, so was in bed all day yesterday. Drove me nuts doing absolutely nothing all day, so I came to work even though I probably shouldn't be here. Antibiotics, paracetamol and my inhalers don't make a great combination - my hands have been shaking all morning and I'm still tight in my shoulders and back, despite taking my inhaler. One lesson done, two left and then have to stay to supervise someone until 4.30

I'm hoping by Friday I'm feeling and breathing better, or else it will be some trek trying to get all my stuff to Heathrow, and a battle to get all my shopping etc finished Saturday and sort my room and washing before I leave. If I'm not, I'll head to the hospital and see if I can get checked further, cos it doesn't exactly feel like my normal chest infection.

Southend 8:10pm for us - OH wants to head out early and watch the Liverpool-Arsenal match in the Irish pub in the middle of Southend before heading to the airport...

That sounds like a godawful dose you've got - hope things clear up a bit soon for ya!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

I'm flying in the opposite direction. I'm flying TO London. First Christmas I won't see my little cousin on Christmas morning :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

Had my interview for the Rugby World cup volunteer position Saturday and was in bed since. Went into work Monday and couldn't catch my breath, so finished at 1 and went straight to the doctors. Turns out I've a chest infection, so was in bed all day yesterday. Drove me nuts doing absolutely nothing all day, so I came to work even though I probably shouldn't be here. Antibiotics, paracetamol and my inhalers don't make a great combination - my hands have been shaking all morning and I'm still tight in my shoulders and back, despite taking my inhaler. One lesson done, two left and then have to stay to supervise someone until 4.30

I'm hoping by Friday I'm feeling and breathing better, or else it will be some trek trying to get all my stuff to Heathrow, and a battle to get all my shopping etc finished Saturday and sort my room and washing before I leave. If I'm not, I'll head to the hospital and see if I can get checked further, cos it doesn't exactly feel like my normal chest infection.

RG, I'm gonan be a little bossy with you now (sometimes relative strangers being bossy helps...maybe :P)

If you still feel sick tomorrow, stay home and rest! Lie in bed and only get up to make tea. Watch TV or a crap Christmas movie - just stay still! You're gonna burn yourself out completely and be out of commission for Christmas. Sometimes you have to admit defeat and just let yourself have a day or two to heal or you make it ten times worse.

You actually worry me with the stress you put yourself under when you're sick and I don't even know you!

Now have a cup of tea, stat! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

I submitted my Literature Review for dissertation today. That was a close one. Awesome sense of relief now though! :) I have decided I'm going to make a yummy dinner and take the evening off study, maybe do a bit of blogging.

Yay Christmas! :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

RG, I'm gonan be a little bossy with you now (sometimes relative strangers being bossy helps...maybe :P)

If you still feel sick tomorrow, stay home and rest! Lie in bed and only get up to make tea. Watch TV or a crap Christmas movie - just stay still! You're gonna burn yourself out completely and be out of commission for Christmas. Sometimes you have to admit defeat and just let yourself have a day or two to heal or you make it ten times worse.

You actually worry me with the stress you put yourself under when you're sick and I don't even know you!

Now have a cup of tea, stat! :D

Join the club, I'm getting jackets made!!! :D I've had my head of department meet me this morning with a hands out gesture as to why I'm in, a friend in a department give out to me for being in, and a few other staff members. I hate not being at work. I admitted defeat yesterday, and I'm not the type of person who can sit at home and switch off, especially when I'm in the UK. When I'm in Ireland, I have that barrier, so I will switch off. Only two more days left, then I have all of Christmas to recover - I very much doubt I will be doing anything much over Christmas anyway, so can relax at home

Don't drink tea or coffee, weird for a teacher I know! Last piece of marking to be done with my year 11 papers and I'm done for the year :D Steak pies and potato gratins in the oven!

Southend 8:10pm for us - OH wants to head out early and watch the Liverpool-Arsenal match in the Irish pub in the middle of Southend before heading to the airport...

That sounds like a godawful dose you've got - hope things clear up a bit soon for ya!

I've just been ill all this term! Ridiculous - the staff room was like a small hospital this morning with everyone feeling so poorly. It has just been a really bad dose of it for students and for us, about 100 students out a day on average, just over a tenth of the student population

I've just been ill all this term! Ridiculous - the staff room was like a small hospital this morning with everyone feeling so poorly. It has just been a really bad dose of it for students and for us, about 100 students out a day on average, just over a tenth of the student population

:eek:

bluewolf wrote: »
    :eek:

??

nevermind me and my stupid jokes :)

aaaaanyway rg, mind yourself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

Saw Ilyana on Grafton St earlier. #stalker :D

Addicted to the show How To Get Away With Murder. Loading another one to watch this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

Addicted to the show How To Get Away With Murder. Loading another one to watch this evening.
    Love it! :D

The drama. Plus, eye candy galore!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

It's amazing! That and Scandal are my two favourite shows! I'm suffering serious withdrawal now that there aren't anymore episodes til end of Jan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

I'm starting to get weirdly bummed out that I won't be going to Ireland for Christmas. Even though my parents are here in London, it feels a bit like I'm missing out on something. It's really dumb, but as everyone else is going home I feel a bit... left behind or something? I dunno.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

How so Joe wrote: »
    I'm starting to get weirdly bummed out that I won't be going to Ireland for Christmas. Even though my parents are here in London, it feels a bit like I'm missing out on something. It's really dumb, but as everyone else is going home I feel a bit... left behind or something? I dunno.

It's clearly because you don't get to see me!

I do get it. It's your first year not coming back so even just the habit of it is gone. It's not dumb at all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

Oooh maybe I should download how to get away with murder maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

It's clearly because you don't get to see me!

I do get it. It's your first year not coming back so even just the habit of it is gone. It's not dumb at all!
    That *must* be it! No MCR, sure it's not even Christmas like that!

My form's assembly went amazing!! I'm shattered now but so proud of them!

Three course Christmas meal for lunch in work today. Food coma now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Just bailed on my work party at 9.30 :( crippled with a chest infection!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭kissmequick

Howye! :)

If anyone is around Galway on January 22nd, I'm going to be reading some of my fiction in the City Library.

No idea what I'm going to read yet, but I reckon I need to be a crowd pleaser and either go for humor or sex. :pac:

SarahBeep! wrote: »

Feel better soon. xx

If anyone is around Galway on January 22nd, I'm going to be reading some of my fiction in the City Library.

No idea what I'm going to read yet, but I reckon I need to be a crowd pleaser and either go for humor or sex. :pac:
    Humorously embarrassing sex stories

DK that is *awesome*

Have you done readings before? This is blowing my tiny little mind with how cool it must be to do a reading of your own work.

I just mentioned the other day, out loud, for the first time, that I think I have a book in me. Maybe. In the future.

• Advertisement

DK that is *awesome*

Have you done readings before? This is blowing my tiny little mind with how cool it must be to do a reading of your own work.

I just mentioned the other day, out loud, for the first time, that I think I have a book in me. Maybe. In the future.

Nevermind the future, start now! I wanna read that thing.

I've done a few open mics and I read at a launch before. I read at open mic last night and was absolutely thrilled to have people come up to me after and tell me how much they loved my story. I'm in a little bubble of happy today.

Nevermind the future, start now! I wanna read that thing.

I've done a few open mics and I read at a launch before. I read at open mic last night and was absolutely thrilled to have people come up to me after and tell me how much they loved my story. I'm in a little bubble of happy today.

Unreal! Totes emosh I'd say.

Yeah, it takes me a while before I can get down to things. I'm a 'muller'. I mull over things. Then I mull some more. Then I do the thing quite quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭shalalala

Did you ever do any workshops or classes ? I want to get into it more but I need help honing in on what I want to say. The classes are so expensive and not sure if they would help me, I am more of a non fiction, based on my life anyway writer

shalalala wrote: »
    Did you ever do any workshops or classes ? I want to get into it more but I need help honing in on what I want to say. The classes are so expensive and not sure if they would help me, I am more of a non fiction, based on my life anyway writer

The ones I've done have had fiction/non fiction/poetry writers.

You can learn the basics from a book, but the best thing about classes is that it forces you to write every week. You have to produce something you're at least halfway happy with. Then you have to show it to people.

Depending on the class, feedback can be gentle. Which is fab in the beginning, but I really craved being told what people didn't like. I found it with a small group of people in another class and we're continuing to meet.

I think the best thing I learned in the last few months is that the purpose of writing is to communicate. If people aren't getting what I'm saying or are confused or stumbling through paragraphs, I haven't achieved that.

It's really useful to hear how people react, and I'm pretty much at the stage where I can take criticism and dissect it and know what I should or shouldn't change. Getting to the stage where I don't take criticism personally has been my big achievement this year.

The ones I've done have had fiction/non fiction/poetry writers.

You can learn the basics from a book, but the best thing about classes is that it forces you to write every week. You have to produce something you're at least halfway happy with. Then you have to show it to people.

Depending on the class, feedback can be gentle. Which is fab in the beginning, but I really craved being told what people didn't like. I found it with a small group of people in another class and we're continuing to meet.

I think the best thing I learned in the last few months is that the purpose of writing is to communicate. If people aren't getting what I'm saying or are confused or stumbling through paragraphs, I haven't achieved that.

It's really useful to hear how people react, and I'm pretty much at the stage where I can take criticism and dissect it and know what I should or shouldn't change. Getting to the stage where I don't take criticism personally has been my big achievement this year.

Sounds like what I need! I dont suppose your classes were in Dublin?

• Advertisement

shalalala wrote: »
    Sounds like what I need! I dont suppose your classes were in Dublin?

Nope. Galway. But there are plenty in Dublin as far as I know.

Nope. Galway. But there are plenty in Dublin as far as I know.

I really want one that is recommended. Especially with something creative you want a teacher you can work with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Did ya? Sorry I didn't spot you! Town was mental yesterday!

Am all finished exams though, and feeling great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭SillyBeans

Trying to lose some weight at the moment. I picked a bad time of year for it! I want to eat all the nice things :(

Oh god yeah, I'm tearing a box of Quality Street to pieces here at work.

OMNOMNOMNOM

OMNOMNOMNOM

I brought a box of Quality Street in today to share with the team, I've already had 9 of them... :eek:

Better be a hard session at swimming later to burn this off!

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭SillyBeans

OMNOMNOMNOM

Get in my belly!

There's a box of jaffa cakes sitting looking at me, taunting me!

On the upside, only two working days until I'm off for 9 days in a row :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,183 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Our boss bought in three tubs of chocolates yesterday for the lab.they wer gone by the end of the day..could not believe it!

We're done, done, done! Load of washing and tidying to do before Sunday, but will do that tomorrow, then into London to look at all the pretty Christmas lights before finishing the packing on Sunday and my flight :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

SarahBeep! wrote: »

Feel better soon!!

I bailed on mine at 6pm. Trying not to get sick on people was no longer fun. MORNING sickness my ass! I'm sure this glow they promised me last time too is going to arrive any day now :D

As for Quality Street, there are only two good sweets in there! The toffee penny thing and the long chewy toffee one. If I could get a no of those Id be happy.

Did our inaugural Christmas Lego build last night. At 13 months baba was just a spectator but she was very impressed with our Santas Workshop. Next year I'm sure she'll be a master builder.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement