Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Loungers on Tour - is there a doctor in the house?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

The... What?! Who decides that the birthdays are single gender? That's a thing??

Yeah, what she said...

Das Kitty wrote: »
    I rang my friend and she had a party for the girls in the class only. She was trying to advise me to do the same and invite all the boys. I even told her that James gets on with more of the girls than the boys and his current best friend is a girl, so that wouldn't work. She still kept the same suggestion!

But... I... WHY??

I genuinely can't think of a reason why that would be a thing.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

But... I... WHY??

I genuinely can't think of a reason why that would be a thing.

So as not to invite the whole class, could be the reason. I dunno, I just find it stupid. I remember it myself when I wan in primary school. I was only invited to one boy's party and only because he was my best mate. But then I always had mixed parties, apart from a few awkward years in secondary school.

My friend's daughter is very girly, if you know what I mean. Very cute and likes to pretend to be grown up, talking to her little bestie about outfits etc. So I reckon it's sort of more natural for them. She loves James though because James compliments everyone on their clothes. He's gas.

It's hard to tell a lot of the time when they're 4 because really you can only tell who their actual friends are by watching them play and I don't get to do that too much unfortunately.

Oh. That would be a reason I guess. I was never one for parties, not even as a kid. I'd just invite who I wanted to invite, would have died if the whole class turned up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

I quite like trains :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

I quite like trains :)

I'm well angry at them this morning, delays all over the shop :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

The... What?! Who decides that the birthdays are single gender? That's a thing??

Yeah, I remember in primary school that was almost always the way. Boys invited all the boys in the class to their parties, girls invited all the girls. Regardless of who they actually got on with.

Absolutely ridiculous looking back on it, and it's a bit sad that it's still happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Yeah, I remember in primary school that was almost always the way. Boys invited all the boys in the class to their parties, girls invited all the girls. Regardless of who they actually got on with.

Absolutely ridiculous looking back on it, and it's a bit sad that it's still happening.
    Same in our school. I remember mum invited every girl in my sister's class, there were two wee bitches (terrible thing to say about children but they are still bitches) who spent the party criticising every thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

In the school I teach in the mixed gender parties tend to still happen until about first class. It's a bit sad, somewhere during the summer after Senior Infants the big divide starts and boys who used to hang out with girls and vice versa seem to come back and only want to hang out with buddies of their own gender. There are one or two who go against the grain and stick with their opposite besties for another while but generally those friendships do seem to peter out over the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Friday morning lie in! \o/

I absolutely can't abide gendered crap that's put on kids. I see a lot of it in work, and that's with 2-5 yo's. So many parents pushing their own hang ups on their kids. A kid I worked with before whos parents didn't want him playing dress up and he wouldn't use colours other than green or blue to draw with.

When I was a kid I invited both girls and boys, I always got on better with the lads in my class anyway. But I think from 3rd class or so on it was pretty much single gender parties which is pretty sad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

So as not to invite the whole class, could be the reason. I dunno, I just find it stupid. I remember it myself when I wan in primary school. I was only invited to one boy's party and only because he was my best mate. But then I always had mixed parties, apart from a few awkward years in secondary school.

My friend's daughter is very girly, if you know what I mean. Very cute and likes to pretend to be grown up, talking to her little bestie about outfits etc. So I reckon it's sort of more natural for them. She loves James though because James compliments everyone on their clothes. He's gas.

It's hard to tell a lot of the time when they're 4 because really you can only tell who their actual friends are by watching them play and I don't get to do that too much unfortunately.

Addison had a party for her 4th birthday and it turned out that she only wanted to invite girls, she had a few boy cousins there but that is it. Last year she wanted to invite mostly boys because that's who she's getting along better with in Junior Infants but she didn't have a party last year. Saoirse is inviting only boys from her class, because she doesn't get along with the girls :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Single gender parties do happen for kids here in France but a lot less I think. I know Paul's nephew always had mixed parties (and he's 12 now).
    It's a bit different here because all schools are mixed, bar some private religious ones. Liam so far is pals with boys and girls. There is one girl who is always giving him hugs and kisses, it's cute.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Good god the sexual politics start early! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I always had all-girl parties when I was younger, but I was really shy around boys so I didn't mix with them a lot. I only had one boy-friend in primary school :eek:

Funnily enough, now I tend to get on with guys more. Girls can be difficult sometimes...except the lovely ladies here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

I always used to invite my whole class, but there were only 8 of us anyway so you couldn't not!

Climbed most of carrauntoohill yesterday, couldn't make the top cos it was snowing too much. Proud and in tremendous pain today :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I went to an all girls school so my parties were girls only. If i went to a mixed school, i'd probably have had a lot of boys there coz i was a tomboy.

Parenting seems hard

Feeding, clothing and educating them, then there's all this other stuff to negotiate with them... Weh

My dress for the ball arrived, and it fits like a glove.

Cinderella shall go to the ball!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

My parties were always mixed when I was in a mixed school but turned into all girls for the few years that I had parties in Ireland but I was in an all girls school then and don't think I even knew any boys except for my brothers! After that was my 18th and there was plenty of lads at that! I think there was more lads than girls! :D

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    My dress for the ball arrived, and it fits like a glove.

Cinderella shall go to the ball!

Pic/link?

• Advertisement

Pic/link?

http://www.boohoo.com/europe/clothing/maxi-dresses/icat/maxi-dresses/candice-side-split-slinky-maxi-dress/invt/azz51737

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRAss-jZoiqr33XfLzrHvoYQ1kWq8DNhvwqcDpVM6Z5QK0TXKLm

I'm glad I sized up, it doesn't give you much jiggle room! I'll try remember to put up a photo in KYL next week when my hair and make up is done :)

Oh gorge!

LOVE the 3/4 sleeves

Oh gorge!

LOVE the 3/4 sleeves

Thanks! I like having my upper arms covered so I thought it would be perfect. For 25e you can't go wrong ;)

Covered upper arms FTW

I have the lovely little red bumps on my upper arms as well as wobble. Laaavely

Covered upper arms FTW

Me too! And even if I wore tan, they'd still stand out. Feck that :pac:

Covered upper arms FTW

They went when I cut out wheat
    It was a revelation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

bluewolf wrote: »
    It was a revelation

Wow, really? I've had them forever, hmmm
    I found the Eucerin 10% cream pretty good too

Yeah friend said it to me on a night out
    I was there rubbing my arms the rest of the night going "omg I never noticed THEY'RE SMOOTH NOW"
    I haven't been strict though so they come back easily if I've eaten any, but not remotely as bad as they used to be

Yeah friend said it to me on a night out
    I was there rubbing my arms the rest of the night going "omg I never noticed THEY'RE SMOOTH NOW"
    I haven't been strict though so they come back easily if I've eaten any, but not remotely as bad as they used to be

Sold :D Husband is on a wheat-free diet anyway so it'll be easy to manage!

Ladies, what do you think of this as interview wear? I'd probably team it with court shoes and a blazer/ smart cardi.

• Advertisement

can't view it

It was a revelation

Jaysus! I'm so not ready to do that though. I LOVE gluten :(

Mine disappeared while I was travelling in hot, sunny countries. As in, completely disappeared. They gradually reappeared back home. Sunshine (carefully managed as I am very fair and covered in moles) generally has a great effect on my skin - clears acne and everything.

I use Palmer's Cocoa Butter intensive thingy for hard skin on them now, it does an excellent job of diminishing their appearance.

AND I smell awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

I'm sick. Properly sick. Woke up this morning feeling even worser than yesterday so went to the doc. Not my normal gp. She was busy. But a doc in the practice. She was mad for the small talk but I couldn't engage. 99% of the time I love talking. Today it's an effort.

Any who. Strep throat, inner ear infection, inflamed nasal cavity, swollen glands, fever. Antibiotics paracetamol fluids and rest. No gym for a while.

Currently flaked on the couch as I didn't have the energy to haul myself upstairs.

Feeling very sorry for myself :(

sullivlo wrote: »
    I'm sick. Properly sick. Woke up this morning feeling even worser than yesterday so went to the doc. Not my normal gp. She was busy. But a doc in the practice. She was mad for the small talk but I couldn't engage. 99% of the time I love talking. Today it's an effort.

Any who. Strep throat, inner ear infection, inflamed nasal cavity, swollen glands, fever. Antibiotics paracetamol fluids and rest. No gym for a while.

Currently flaked on the couch as I didn't have the energy to haul myself upstairs.

Feel better soon!

That sounds pretty similar to a dose I used to get ON THE REG in college. I feel your pain!

Sleep LOTS.

Get well soon, sounds like a rotten dose. Get all the sleep you can :)

Parenting seems hard

Feeding, clothing and educating them, then there's all this other stuff to negotiate with them... Weh

The listed stuff is easy, it's the whole tending to their emotional wellbeing part that feels like fumbling in the dark. :/

• Advertisement

I got flowerrrrrrrrrs from an amazing boardsiieeeee
    *runs around with flower in hair*

:( Get well soon!

The listed stuff is easy, it's the whole tending to their emotional wellbeing part that feels like fumbling in the dark. :/

That and what seems like endless appointments with doctors, consultants, physiotherapists, eye clinic, vaccination clinics, speech and language... It's like we have an appointment at least once if not twice a week!

Jeepers sullivlo that sounds like an awful dose! Any one of those on their own would be bad enough. Rest up, I'll save you a slice of cake :)

can't view it

Oops, I'll try again

Link

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

I like it, Dolbert! It's very pretty, but still formal enough.

I need to get up off the couch and clean my house. Effort...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I wore the same dress for my last two successful job interviews - a jade green Closet dress with one of the really full skirts. I seem to do worse when I wear a suit!

@Dolbert - cute dress :)

I think it'd be perfect for an interview Dolbert; it's pretty without being fussy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

I have a date with hot Polish bloke tonight.

I just need some fun after this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Oh god I'm dreading that bit.

At the moment I'm keeping him fed and changed and he's happy, great, pat on the back for me.

As for when he needs more than that ... I'm just lost! :eek:

Thanks everyone! Bought it anyway. I pretty much exclusively wear dresses so thought buying a suit was a little pointless, I may as well look like me after all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Been surprising productive with college work the last two weeks. Really think exercising on a regularly basis is really helping. Have to stick to the question more when looking through sources for essay. Tend to get side tracked and end up writing down nearly everything just in case. But I'll just have to keep repeating the question in my head, while reading. The essay topic is on Russia so it's actually really interesting which is keeping me motivated!:)

Re the wheat question, advice, thing. I've those small red bumps on my arms too for as long as I can remember, they've gotten better over the years, but on my left arm they are still quite noticeable which is annoying if you're trying to wear a top or dress with short sleeves. I've been on the no wheat thing for about two weeks too, don't know if it has made a different but I haven't really looked as I didn't know giving up wheat would help that. Must keep an eye on it, see if it does improve!:)

Oh god I'm dreading that bit.

At the moment I'm keeping him fed and changed and he's happy, great, pat on the back for me.

As for when he needs more than that ... I'm just lost! :eek:

Don't worry, we all are. I'm just trying to make sure that he always knows he's loved. And everytime I feel like I'm not doing as well as I could be, I console myself with the fact that my Dad was a terrible parent and I managed to get through!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

Just made spicy roasted chickpeas for the first time. Om nom nom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭PhysiologyRocks

I had a horrendous day at work on earlier in the week, with lots of very, very sick patients and very little senior help.

But I managed it and my sickest guy is up talking to us again. :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement