Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Loungers on Tour - is there a doctor in the house?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Some of my family used to lip-kiss us when we were little but when I was about five I decided I didn't like it and wouldn't let anyone do it anymore. I really like my personal space and they had to get used to that. If I had kids I wouldn't do it to them either. Not sure how I'd feel about bathing with my (imaginary) kids.

Nothing against parents who do those things but it's not for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

I got a PFO email from the interview i did a few weeks back.

I cried, not because i didnt get it because i kept thinking that im NEVER going to get out of here. All of my fears about being here for the rest of my life came out.

Im thinking of getting a transfer to another store after im finished everything here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

Today I had my first visit to the dentist since primary school. Had a really bad pain in the left side of my jaw for the past week so made an appointment to have it checked. Ended up getting the tooth at the very back on the bottom left extracted. Good Lord it really has knocked me for six!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Lads I have an odd question that probably has a really obvious answer.

I'm clearing out a press in the kitchen and I want to get rid of some old flour. What do I do with it? Just put it in the bin dry so it looks like I've just dumped a bag of cocaine or mix it into a paste and have a load of gloop in the food bin? HALP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Just dump it as normal.

I have a stupid question, i bought a phone 2 to 3 weeks ago, can you return them?

Im having severe problems with my phone right now. I actually cant stand this phone at all. I despise it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

General waste bin, I reckon.

Nope, you can't return a phone once it's been used.

I'm pretty sure you can't get a refund for a phone once the box has been opened.

As for the flour WS, I doubt an actual coke user would be throwing their stash out with the binbags!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    As for the flour WS, I doubt an actual coke user would be throwing their stash out with the binbags!

Hah! It's not that I think people will actually think it's coke, more the powdery mess it'd create :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

WN I had that same thought about some icing sugar a while back too. I normally always recycle but I ended up just dumping it in the bag so the sugary powdery mess didn't fly out of the bin and go everywhere :P

Its funny that about the lip kissing. I never would have done it with family or relatives when I was younger, it wasn't initiated but I don't think I would have been comfortable with it either. E was the same as Neyites little man with the slobbery lip kisses, if you tried to get her cheek instead she would grab your head and pull it around to get your lips! Now she will usually kiss cheeks or sometimes lips. If she is comfortable with it then I have no problem. I try to let her decide her own boundaries about what she likes/doesn't like, and to go with her own comfort level when it comes to her body/personal space.

I definitely find that my parents and grandparents generation are a lot more demanding of affection,'give us a hug' 'stealing a kiss' etc. Even relative strangers sometimes, Old ladies In shop queues particularly! Im sure that it is all meant in a nice way but if you don't make your kid comply they are rude, ungrateful, no manners etc. Jesus like her body her choice. Its especially tough when the kid is shy around strangers like E is. I think you need to get the message in early that it is okay to say no when you are not comfortable, and that it should be respected.

Unfortunately there are times when it just can't be helped and I have to physically pick her up and put her in the car seat/hold her hand crossing the road or something for her own safety but I think in the general sense we should give kids some amount of bodily autonomy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Riverdance was 20 years ago lads.

TWENTY.

And I still turn into an emotional mess when I watch it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

A woman got pushed on onto the metro line in Paris by a homeless guy, she was uninjured after other passengers pulled her back onto the platform, jebus I think I'd be heading straight to a shop to do the Lotto!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

That's shocking Ivy!

James was begging me not to go to work this morning. Hate that. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Ivy that is crazy! Scary to think how it could have ended.

Aw Das that is tough :( I know its not the same but he'll probably be happy out playing with his pals by now and having a blast. I think you have said before that he is happy there so try take some comfort in that. Early years people are well used to handling it, if one my kids was having a shaky day they'd be in for some extra tlc and one to one for the day :) If Youre still worried drop them a call and Im sure they'd be able to tell you how he's doing now :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Lola92 wrote: »
    WN I had that same thought about some icing sugar a while back too. I normally always recycle but I ended up just dumping it in the bag so the sugary powdery mess didn't fly out of the bin and go everywhere :P

Its funny that about the lip kissing. I never would have done it with family or relatives when I was younger, it wasn't initiated but I don't think I would have been comfortable with it either. E was the same as Neyites little man with the slobbery lip kisses, if you tried to get her cheek instead she would grab your head and pull it around to get your lips! Now she will usually kiss cheeks or sometimes lips. If she is comfortable with it then I have no problem. I try to let her decide her own boundaries about what she likes/doesn't like, and to go with her own comfort level when it comes to her body/personal space.

I definitely find that my parents and grandparents generation are a lot more demanding of affection,'give us a hug' 'stealing a kiss' etc. Even relative strangers sometimes, Old ladies In shop queues particularly! Im sure that it is all meant in a nice way but if you don't make your kid comply they are rude, ungrateful, no manners etc. Jesus like her body her choice. Its especially tough when the kid is shy around strangers like E is. I think you need to get the message in early that it is okay to say no when you are not comfortable, and that it should be respected.

Unfortunately there are times when it just can't be helped and I have to physically pick her up and put her in the car seat/hold her hand crossing the road or something for her own safety but I think in the general sense we should give kids some amount of bodily autonomy.

I read an article about this exact thing in the Guardian a few months ago, saying that children shouldn't be forced to kiss relatives if they don't want to, and loads of the comments were along the lines of "Wanting to kiss your grandchild doesn't make you a paedophile" or "Why do you have to make this sexual". I don't think the author was saying it's a sexual thing though, they were just making that same point - if a child doesn't want to kiss an adult then that should be respected

EDIT: This is the article

Scarinae wrote: »
    I read an article about this exact thing in the Guardian a few months ago, saying that children shouldn't be forced to kiss relatives if they don't want to, and loads of the comments were along the lines of "Wanting to kiss your grandchild doesn't make you a paedophile" or "Why do you have to make this sexual". I don't think the author was saying it's a sexual thing though, they were just making that same point - if a child doesn't want to kiss an adult then that should be respected

In my son's crèche, they teach the children to say "No I don't want to" instead of hitting or slapping when someone tries to kiss them or whatever and they don't want it. And that you should ask before you kiss.
    It's one of the first phrases Liam was able to say "Je veux PAS"!

In my son's crèche, they teach the children to say "No I don't want to" instead of hitting or slapping when someone tries to kiss them or whatever and they don't want it. And that you should ask before you kiss.
    It's one of the first phrases Liam was able to say "Je veux PAS"!

That is awesome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Really looking forward to meeting one of the girls for coffee today. While it takes military precision to get out of the house, really looking forward to actual adult conversation in person with someone I haven't seen in ages :) And its another chance to show E off ;)

Ivy that sounds absolutely insane, she's so lucky!!

Hope that you and E are doing well LMP!

My throat and ears have decided to play a little game where they hurt all day and make me paranoid that I'm getting sick. Not ideal considering this whole study thing isn't going too swimmingly :(

Scarinae wrote: »

I mean, come on. How do people not get that it's an issue of personal space and boundaries FULL STOP.

Kids very much know at a really early age what they like to eat and watch and read and play with, and what they don't like... is it so hard to imagine that they would also know whether they like kisses or not?

Internet commenters though. Not enough faces, not enough palms.

• Advertisement

Lola92 wrote: »
    Ivy that is crazy! Scary to think how it could have ended.

Aw Das that is tough :( I know its not the same but he'll probably be happy out playing with his pals by now and having a blast. I think you have said before that he is happy there so try take some comfort in that. Early years people are well used to handling it, if one my kids was having a shaky day they'd be in for some extra tlc and one to one for the day :) If Youre still worried drop them a call and Im sure they'd be able to tell you how he's doing now :)

Mike was dropping him in. He was still in his jammies when I was leaving. The other little cherub was still asleep. He'll be grand, he can be a bit overwhelmed when he wakes up first thing.

In other news, my mum and her other half are currently in my front garden, pulling up the laurels I can't stand. Whoop whoop

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Das Kitty wrote: »
    That's shocking Ivy!

James was begging me not to go to work this morning. Hate that. :(

I had tears from my fella this morning - he's moved to a new room in creche and I think that's why he started to cry when he realised where the car was headed this morning. Then he had the sad little hiccupy quiet tears that made me all sad.

On balance, creche I think is good for him, but I do wish I could half the time he spends there so we get more time together, a full day x5 is very very long.

Neyite wrote: »
    I had tears from my fella this morning - he's moved to a new room in creche and I think that's why he started to cry when he realised where the car was headed this morning. Then he had the sad little hiccupy quiet tears that made me all sad.

On balance, creche I think is good for him, but I do wish I could half the time he spends there so we get more time together, a full day x5 is very very long.

They move them so much, don't they?

I think it's probably a good thing though, for them to get used to change early on. I know it's been good for James. He had few qualms about moving into preschool where he knew no one.

I'd love to be doing Mike's hours (mon-wed) and at home snuggling the other two days. Time is going much to fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Finally booked some flights home last night - the Irish June bank holiday weekend. Wedding venue hunting, hurling and visiting our families. Looking forward to it, we haven't been back in Ireland since Christmas! :eek:

Everytime I read the Dear Partner thread in R&R, I want to post. But all I can ever come up with is, "Jeez, you're so wonderful."

Not that I'm blind to his faults, it's just that's the overwhelming thought. :o

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Finally booked some flights home last night - the Irish June bank holiday weekend. Wedding venue hunting, hurling and visiting our families. Looking forward to it, we haven't been back in Ireland since Christmas! :eek:

Post mini marathon piss up *high five*

• Advertisement

Post mini marathon piss up *high five*

I'll be in Limerick by then! (Dublin Fri/Sat, Limerick Sun/Mon/Tues)

Actually went looking for a bank holiday race to do, but there's feck all on because of the rather large women-only 10k and the Cork marathon. C'est la vie :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

Afternoon loungers :D

Update on my weight loss journey = another half stone since I was here so I'm down with a total of 49 and a half pounds :D:D I've never felt as good as I do and I've never been this full.. Lunch is a gorgeous spicy chicken and veg stir fry made by the fiance last night. I can't wait till Summer comes in and I can wear skirts and shorts and dresses :D Please Ireland have a good Summer this year!

I want to refresh up the old Boards account with a new username but not sure what to go for :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

OakeyDokey wrote: »

Update on my weight loss journey = another half stone since I was here so I'm down with a total of 49 and a half pounds :D:D I've never felt as good as I do and I've never been this full.. Lunch is a gorgeous spicy chicken and veg stir fry made by the fiance last night. I can't wait till Summer comes in and I can wear skirts and shorts and dresses :D Please Ireland have a good Summer this year!

I want to refresh up the old Boards account with a new username but not sure what to go for :rolleyes:

Congrats! :D

I really must stop eating so much shíte. I feel terrible after a few weeks of study/stress eating.

Really must stop procrastinating too...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

One more hour, and I've over the worst part of my working week - just when I need to be clear headed, the 2PM slump is hitting me!

One more hour, and I've over the worst part of my working week - just when I need to be clear headed, the 2PM slump is hitting me!

Me too but that's because I ate chocolate raisins so it's all my own fault...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

OakeyDokey wrote: »

Well done. I am on a similar journey (currently at 46 lb loss) and it's tough going but I love the feeling of slowly fitting back into clothes and I'm enjoying eating healthier etc.

Well done and keep up the good work :)

Well done on the weight loss ladies!

I'm being quite bold and eating a lot of chocolate lately. My meals are fine though and I'm not doing any other snacking. The chocolate's more of a coping mechanism while I get through these exams :D

sullivlo wrote: »
    Well done. I am on a similar journey (currently at 46 lb loss) and it's tough going but I love the feeling of slowly fitting back into clothes and I'm enjoying eating healthier etc.

Well done and keep up the good work :)
    I'm still not getting into smaller clothes sizes (yet) but I have had to start wearing a belt, yay!

Stomach flu just got me within a stone of my ideal weight.

Yay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

It's something!

My landlady told me at the start of April that she'd email me a spreadsheet with bills, rent, etc, so I could pay.
    It's May tomorrow. No spreadsheet yet. Wrecking my head!

Yay?

I immediately thought of this...

ea7f7f00ce20155589e161dbc45782b6.jpg

Yay?
    Bereavement is another great one! :rolleyes: Lost a stone in a week that way.

I'll vouch for break-ups. Barely ate for about a week; if I hadn't been such an emotional mess it would have been brilliant :P

Breastfeeding is a great way to have the weight fall off too.

You do have to have a baby attached to your boob A LOT though.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Oh yes. Back into pre-baby jeans 10 days after the birth. Granted it was a squeeze and they were formerly roomy, but it still counts, right? Even though I couldnt breathe?

• Advertisement

It just made me even hungrier. James had a lot of sandwich and biscuit crumbs land on his head when he was feeding. I put on 2 stone while I was breastfeeding for 4 months. :eek:

It just made me even hungrier. James had a lot of sandwich and biscuit crumbs land on his head when he was feeding. I put on 2 stone while I was breastfeeding for 4 months. :eek:
    I now have the funniest image in my head! :)
    Yourself and James are comedy gold!

Bereavement is another great one! :rolleyes: Lost a stone in a week that way.

I think I put on weight from all the bloody sandwiches...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

How do I go about getting one of these stomach flu's ladies?!

:D

Ah I'm lucky really, I never get sick. Well, I get a 24 hour bug every few years or so. Any other vomitting would be due to alcohol consumption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I've never heard of stomach flu! Is it anything to do with the flu, or is it just gastroenteritis?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Haha FINALLY someone makes me feel better about the fact that breastfeeding didn't work for us! :D Thank you Das Kitty!!!

Stomach flu = gastro!

The only thing that ever made me lose a drastic amount of weight in a short period of time (i fluctuate a LOT but it's generally gradual) was moving out of home and into student accomm/life.

My formerly snug size 12 jodhpurs actually fell down off me one glorious day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Stomach flu = gastro!

The only thing that ever made me lose a drastic amount of weight in a short period of time (i fluctuate a LOT but it's generally gradual) was moving out of home and into student accomm/life.

My formerly snug size 12 jodhpurs actually fell down off me one glorious day.

My sister has gone from a 10/12 to an 8 since moving to England for college.
    I went from 10/12 to 14 in my final year of college and have the stretch marks to show for it. :(

Oh, I was the biggest I've ever been when I finished my Master's... :/

• Advertisement

I actually lost a whole pile of weight in my final year, and maintained while doing my masters. I ballooned in third year and my year out because I got addicted to World of Warcraft and did nothing but eat and play games. In my time in college I was a size 10, a size 20 and everything in between - but most commonly around a size 14. I'm a 12 now and trying to lose a bit!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement