Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Somewhere peaceful & beautiful for 2.5 weeks. Switzerland?

• 04-02-2014 4:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm looking for something to do during the Summer, and was hoping for some suggestions. I'm 26, will probably be going on my own, and will have about 3 weeks to play around with. I've also got a 600 quid voucher towards the holiday, so am willing to stretch a bit on the budget! :D

Anyway, I'd really like to go somewhere that is quiet and peaceful, with lots of beautiful, easily accessible scenery. I like the idea of hanging around an area near a lake, staying in a chalet of some sort maybe. I'll probably be doing a bit of (personal) work or writing from time to time, but not putting myself under any pressure :p

Switzerland is the place that seems to match these criteria. I've never been, but it was stumbling upon a photo of a place called Lauterbrunnen which put the idea in my head.

Would anyone be able to suggest a nice spot in Switzerland?

I'm also thinking I'd like to have access to a car to get around, so I'm trying to decide between:
    a. Flying into Switzerland (only ~€100) and renting a car for the duration, or;
    b. Driving my own car all across France to Switzerland!

Renting seems very expensive (~€600), and I think driving across Europe would be quite cool. But then it would kind of cut into my time too (and I'd have to drive back too).

Thanks for any thoughts

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Slovenia, lake bled, Ljubljana and if you have time and are driving head to plitvice lakes in croatia. Absolutely stunning. Bled is only a short bus journey from Ljubljanawhich has an airport, but the lakes would be quite a bit away. Maybe take in some more of Croatia considering the time you have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Hey,

Switzerland sounds perfect. I stayed in Bern for business, nice enough town in itself, but I also went to Interlaken which is close by. It has very nice scenery and lots of nice things to see such as the triple peaks and there is also a world famous ski resort Wengen. Even if you don't ski, it's really cool to go up for a look around and there is a few things to do up there. So that's where I'd be recommending but that's just one area of Switzerland that i know that would fit the bill for you. I'm sure there might be plenty of other similar areas.

Lauterbrunnen is meant to be really nice as well.

The only warning is that Switzerland is quite an expensive place in general. But given that you are going for peace (and a member of the Non Drinkers Group), at least the price of drink is one less thing to worry about. If you are careful, you can find cheap places to eat.

It's quite an easy country to get around by Train; but obviously if you can get a car, even better.

Edit: just read you are going for three weeks; I'd suggest you travel around a bit, don't just stay in Switzerland. Hallstatt in Austria should be nice as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Thanks :) I do actually drink, I just mod that forum :p But yeah I gather it's quite expensive alright.

I'm not really looking to travel too much I don't think; maybe just a few places for a day trip or the odd night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Bled is a lovely spot but you wouldn't stay 2-3 weeks. Id find it hard to stay anywhere like that for that amount of time. Maybe 4-5 days then move on but each to their own. Id recommend Slovenia and northern Croatia. Cheap, lovely scenery and great food at very reasonable prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

We spent around a week in Switzerland in 2011 and were based in Wengen which is near Lauterbrunnen. We also went to Zermatt and Lucerne.

The Lauterbrunnen area will be pretty quiet in Summer - Wengen was almost deserted and a lot of the shops & resturants / cafes were closed (Sept).

Switzerland IS expensive though :( even self catering. However i wouldn't bother with the car - the transport service is seemlessly coordinated and will take you everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I visit Switzerland fairly regularly as my brother lives there.

Pluses are the stunning scenery and superb public transport - you don't need a car.

Negatives are the expense of everything and the people - they really are quite dull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

"I didn't really like Switzerland, although its flag is a big plus...."

Jokes aside Switzerland is indeed expensive. Bled is lovely, but as noted above not perhaps suitable for a 3 week stay. Somewhere in Alpine Italy might do the trick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

Seconded by me on the expense of Switzerland. It is quite expensive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

This is like the same question i asked but nobody answered. So im gonna have to steal your idea. See you there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

You'll get much better value in Austria - and the stunning Alpine scenery included.
    Plus you'll be within reach of Slovenia if Bled and Lubljana appeals.
    I'd recommend Lake Bohinj, SLO too if you want stunning scenery and seclusion. Much less developed than touristy Bled

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Thanks for the suggestions, and keep them coming – I still can't make a decision :(

Advertisement