Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IPhone4 - Worth Upgrading to IOS 7.0.4?

• 04-02-2014 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

Hi,

As the title suggests I'm looking to see if it would be worthwhile upgrading my IPhone4 from IOS 6.1.3 to IOS 7.0.4?

My only issue with the phone currently is battery life having to charge the phone sometimes twice a day.
    From 10/11pm at night with no apps, no alarm clock used and the phone not being used the battery will be at 60/70% to then wake up at 7/7:30am and the battery dead. I've gone through all the suggestions online to preserve battery life.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

whodafunk wrote: »
    Hi,

As the title suggests I'm looking to see if it would be worthwhile upgrading my IPhone4 from IOS 6.1.3 to IOS 7.0.4?

My only issue with the phone currently is battery life having to charge the phone sometimes twice a day.
    From 10/11pm at night with no apps, no alarm clock used and the phone not being used the battery will be at 60/70% to then wake up at 7/7:30am and the battery dead. I've gone through all the suggestions online to preserve battery life.

Cheers

Updating won't make your battery better, it sounds like you need a new battery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

My advice is, if your planning on keeping your phone for a while, then do not upgrade. I loved my 4 and upgraded it and it ruined it, the graphics are dumbed down, everything seemed slower and I ended up getting a new iPhone 5S (which is probably what Apple want you to do). IOS 7 is only suitable for the iPhone 5/5S as they have faster processors to run the software/firmware. If you are happy with how your phone performs then don't upgrade, you may regret it like I did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

CJC999 wrote: »
    My advice is, if your planning on keeping your phone for a while, then do not upgrade. I loved my 4 and upgraded it and it ruined it, the graphics are dumbed down, everything seemed slower and I ended up getting a new iPhone 5S (which is probably what Apple want you to do). IOS 7 is only suitable for the iPhone 5/5S as they have faster processors to run the software/firmware. If you are happy with how your phone performs then don't upgrade, you may regret it like I did.

Totally disagree with this.

I have the 4s and I find that it runs better on iOS7.

Also the graphics being "dumbed down" is purely a matter of taste and I never saw the intelligence in the old ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭whodafunk

Thanks all for the reply. Phone is less than 1 year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 lara89

I used to have an iphone 4 and decided to upgrade iOS and I really regret it...it got way more slowly and it was no fun anymore at all...you should keep it, as it is and if you want an upgrade, you should upgrade your hardware too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭whodafunk

Thanks again for the replies. I just checked with my carrier and the phone is less than 1 year old and still under warranty so they are going to try arrange a replacement for me regarding the battery issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭makoten

I don't know how carriers handle things, but if bought from Apple online, the replacement (a refurbished or new phone) will usually have the most up-to-date iOS version. But Apple is working on iOS 7.1 (due in March) which according to reports, will improve performance on iPhone 4.

iOS 7 works great on iPhone 4s and higher which use dual core processors, only 4 seems to be struggling with it since it uses a single core only.

I think the only reason iOS 7 is available on iPhone 4 is because Apple's phones usually go through 4 iOS cycles (3GS supports iOS 3/4/5/6, 4 supports iOS 4/5/6/7) whereas iPod touch models only go through 3 iOS cycles (iPod touch 4 supports iOS 4/5/6, so I expect iPod touch 5 to support only iOS 6/7/8)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

murpho999 wrote: »

Also the graphics being "dumbed down" is purely a matter of taste and I never saw the intelligence in the old ones!

There is a HUGE difference in the processing power of an iPhone 4S compared to the iPhone 4 and therefore can handle iOS 7.0 better.

My advice is to hold off until iOS 7.1 (as it's so close to release), it's much snappier and animations actually complete on time :).

But personally I'd rather slap myself with a trout than be on iOS 6 willingly again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭Jabel

My advice - DONT do it.
    I updated my 4 and has been sluggish to the point of extreme frustration.
    Unfortunately there's no way back.

Google performance on IP4 with ios7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭ozmo

Im kinda sorry I upgraded mine also - the new Tabs window in Safari that I used very often now crashes a lot - and i dont like how the toolbar keeps disappearing.

Dont think I gained anything at all from the upgrade (The old icons looked fine to me and all the apps I needed worked ok).

Also the version you had 6.1.3 was widely reported to have battery drain issues - there are fixes you can do to help - like turning off bluetooth and re adding email accounts.

http://ios.wonderhowto.com/how-to/fix-battery-draining-issue-your-iphone-after-updating-ios-6-1-3-0145493/

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Slowed mine down to the point where I just get frustrated. Everything is sluggish even after a reset, although that did improve it. I don't know why they didn't set it up for the 4s as the minimum. The 4 isn't able for it. Maybe that was the plan....make 4 users want to upgrade....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Type 17

As above, the 4s is fairly good on iOS7, I updated mine and barely noticed the difference (in speed) from iOS6, but I tried a mate's 4 that he had upgraded to iOS7 and it was slow to the point of frustration...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭Migworks

My wife's 4s was ruined by the ios7 update, crashed the wifi chip and wrecked a perfectly good phone running 6.
    Apple replaced the phone with another 4s with 7 and it works fine now. Apple did say some 4s's had problems running the 7 update. But think the issues were already there with defective hardware that the 7 amplified.
    Problem is you won't know till you upgrade the software and then its too late. However if its under a year old you have recourse with Apple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

murpho999 wrote: »

How can you totally disagree with it, I had an iphone 4, the OP has an iphone 4, the question is about an iphone 4. You have a 4s, in case you didnt realise theyre not the same phones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭Bactidiaryl

My 4s was upgraded to 7 and I hate it. Lost some valuable data in the confusion and now the bloody thing keeps crashing. And I can't get my fix of CLASH OF CLANS. The phone is a replacement I got 6 mts ago for another defect on a phone purchased nearly 18 mts ago. Am I covered by warranty as the replacement is under 12 mts even though the original is over a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭The Governor

My 4s was upgraded to 7 and I hate it. Lost some valuable data in the confusion and now the bloody thing keeps crashing. And I can't get my fix of CLASH OF CLANS. The phone is a replacement I got 6 mts ago for another defect on a phone purchased nearly 18 mts ago. Am I covered by warranty as the replacement is under 12 mts even though the original is over a year.

In Ireland Apple cannot enforce a 1 year warranty, it's even somewhere on their site. If your original iphone is under 2 years I'd def be chasing them for a replacement if all other attempts at sorting the issue fail.

In Ireland I think you can technically make a claim up to six years of purchase, but realistically I'd say the most you'd probably get is maybe 2/3 years.

If they they won't play ball, then take them to the small claims court, it's only around €10 to do so.

The consumer issues forum is a great place to get further advice on this.

Advertisement