Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to bring visitors in Dublin?

Options
  • 04-02-2014 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

My boyfriend's friends are coming over from the UK for a visit and I'm kind of expected to sort out the entertainment for one of the nights, but I'm struggling. I really don't want to bring them to the usual places, I'm looking for somewhere a bit offbeat and cool to go. Anyone have any ideas? Looking in the temple bar area mostly.

I'm not looking for smart arse answers, I just need some help with something, if you're not here to be helpful then don't waste your time answering. Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

My boyfriend's friends are coming over from the UK for a visit and I'm kind of expected to sort out the entertainment for one of the nights, but I'm struggling. I really don't want to bring them to the usual places, I'm looking for somewhere a bit offbeat and cool to go. Anyone have any ideas? Looking in the temple bar area mostly.

Hi there Seeking Self,

I have moved your thread from our Travel forum over into the Dublin City forum where it would be better suited as it is localised.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 17,734 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Maybe try outside Temple Bar and try any of the pubs/restaurants between Georges Street and Grafton Street - plenty of choice there without the rip-off prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I'm looking for somewhere a bit offbeat and cool to go.
    Looking in the temple bar area mostly.
    Does not compute.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Seeking Self

I said temple bar AREA you knobhead. If you're not going to suggest somewhere because you're too up your own arse trying to be hipster then clear off. I'm under a time pressure here, and we're going to vicar street for a gig and staying nearby so temple bar happens to be handiest with lots of choice, and they get the 'tourist experience' there.
    So stop being a dick, you dick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

I said temple bar AREA you knobhead. If you're not going to suggest somewhere because you're too up your own arse trying to be hipster then clear off. I'm under a time pressure here, and we're going to vicar street for a gig and staying nearby so temple bar happens to be handiest with lots of choice, and they get the 'tourist experience' there.

Nice attitude there, I'm sure your friends will have a delightful evening. Was going to suggest some places but Meh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

Can't see you getting much help with that attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Cassidy's on Westmoreland Street, can't get much closer to Templebar than that. . .although the vibe in there is a bit more sedate that the tone of your last post

I'm nice to people who are nice to me. You can check through any of my old posts, I'm always as helpful as possible. Like I said though, time pressure. I don't have time for time wasters, particularly not so this guy can show his friends how good he is at trolling. I just asked for a bit of help is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

You're a classy lady.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭dubbie82

Nice attitude there....

A bit more info would be nice, what age group, interests etc. is it weekend or weekday?

Lots of nice restaurants around St. William Street, Camden Street, St. Georges Street, better value than most places within Temple Bar. Tapas maybe or a wine tasting, I think Olysa, Elys and a few others do that.

You can do the Irish House party at the Tivoli for the touristy thing. Or the GhostBus Tour?

Also check out the Free Dublin Even Guide http://www.dublineventguide.com/ for some inspiration.

• Advertisement

lxflyer wrote: »
    Maybe try outside Temple Bar and try any of the pubs/restaurants between Georges Street and Grafton Street - plenty of choice there without the rip-off prices.

That's brilliant, I never even thought of that direction and it's handy for where they're staying, thank you!

dubbie82 wrote: »
    Nice attitude there....

A bit more info would be nice, what age group, interests etc. is it weekend or weekday?

Lots of nice restaurants around St. William Street, Camden Street, St. Georges Street, better value than most places within Temple Bar. Tapas maybe or a wine tasting, I think Olysa, Elys and a few others do that.

You can do the Irish House party at the Tivoli for the touristy thing. Or the GhostBus Tour?

Also check out the Free Dublin Even Guide http://www.dublineventguide.com/ for some inspiration.

Ah great! Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Ideas will be well appreciated here :rolleyes:

I'm nice to people who are nice to me. You can check through any of my old posts, I'm always as helpful as possible. Like I said though, time pressure. I don't have time for time wasters, particularly not so this guy can show his friends how good he is at trolling. I just asked for a bit of help is all.

Can't see any trolling, you asked for offbeat and cool Temple Bar is hardly fitting the description. If you said Touristy and overpriced you'd be on to a winner.
    And 20 posts to yer name doesn't really give much of an indication to your usual posting manner. Can only go by what you have posted in here and its not looking good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Let's stick to the topic at hand. Give the OP suggestions as asked for, and OP stop calling people knobheads. Anymore off topic/unhelpful posting will result in infractions.

Mince Pie wrote: »
    Can't see any trolling, you asked for offbeat and cool Temple Bar is hardly fitting the description. If you said Touristy and overpriced you'd be on to a winner.
    And 20 posts to yer name doesn't really give much of an indication to your usual posting manner. Can only go by what you have posted in here and its not looking good.

It's nice that you took the time to check up on me and all, but I didn't look to the internet for approval either way. Old post of mine, regardless of their quantity have been perfectly polite and acceptable. I've gotten some helpful posts but because I didn't let some guy away with being an arse I'm getting all sorts thinking they know me instead of what I came here for. I really would just appreciate some help rather than a selection of smart arse comments. Thanks anyway though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Why not inquire in a local tourist information office?

It's nice that you took the time to check up on me and all, but I didn't look to the internet for approval either way. Old post of mine, regardless of their quantity have been perfectly polite and acceptable. I've gotten some helpful posts but because I didn't let some guy away with being an arse I'm getting all sorts thinking they know me instead of what I came here for. I really would just appreciate some help rather than a selection of smart arse comments. Thanks anyway though.

I actually didn't check your previous posts, I just went by your posts in this thread.
    Anyway, good luck with your hunt for a good night out, as posted earlier the Free event guide is a good place to start. Its updated weekly so I suggest you subscribe.

WikiHow wrote: »
    Why not inquire in a local tourist information office?

I would I just get the impression they're run by the kind of person who wouldn't know the nightlife very well. Also they would be more inclined to send you to the places the tourists go I would have thought. If I'm in before we go out I'll give them a try though. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Are we allowed call people knobheads and dicks now without being banned? Sweet!

• Advertisement

Mince Pie wrote: »
    I actually didn't check your previous posts, I just went by your posts in this thread.
    Anyway, good luck with your hunt for a good night out, as posted earlier the Free event guide is a good place to start. Its updated weekly so I suggest you subscribe.

Thank you, I will

• Registered Users Posts: 4 felixthecat12

I would recommend either the Guinness factory or the Temple Bar area, great introduction to the great city of Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Are we allowed call people knobheads and dicks now without being banned? Sweet!

Seriously??? Read my warning a few posts above. I've warned the poster, any more will result in infractions/bans as appropriate.

I would recommend either the Guinness factory or the Temple Bar area, great introduction to the great city of Dublin.

We did the Guinness factory last time and loved it, I was thinking Jameson this time around. Ever been? Is it worth the money?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭CalRobert

Jameson's all right. If you go and buy your ticket day of they'll mysteriously be booked full for the next 45 minutes (their bar will be happy to serve you a relatively expensive cocktail while you wait; convenient!). Buy your tickets online the day ahead to avoid this and save 10%.

As far as where to go; depends on the crowd. Check out lecool or Dublin Events Guide for that weekend.

CalRobert wrote: »
    Jameson's all right. If you go and buy your ticket day of they'll mysteriously be booked full for the next 45 minutes (their bar will be happy to serve you a relatively expensive cocktail while you wait; convenient!). Buy your tickets online the day ahead to avoid this and save 10%.

As far as where to go; depends on the crowd. Check out lecool or Dublin Events Guide for that weekend.

Ah great tip thank you!!! I'll take a look online then!

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭terryhobdell

How old are the visitors, what do they like, are you going to feed them do they know Dublin or Ireland? Few bits of info at the beginning would probably have saved a bit of agro.

Advertisement