Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Repeating a Year

• 04-02-2014 6:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭

Are you allowed to choose to repeat a year to improve your QCA?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭The Bogman

Not sure TBH. However, if you have the $$$, I'd say UL would let you stay as long as you want. Think its upwards of 7,000 to repeat a year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Maybe its not eve an option. I dont have a great QCA and I need to get it up by 0.22 this semester to graduate with a 2:2 and i'm not sure if thats realistically possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

I dont see why not.... as mentioned $$$

UL <3 Money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Yeah, I'd imagine if you've the money there shouldn't be a problem.

You could always just deliberately fail your five modules this semester I guess if they wouldn't let you. :P

• Site Banned Posts: 19 Reptile_

i thought repeat years grades were capped at a certain level?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Repeat exams are, repeat years are not. In reality, if you fail a year, you're not really going to have a significant advantage over others if you are doing it the second time....

Another question on this.
    If there were reasons you felt you couldn't perform your best during the year will they let you repeat in that case?
    I think I passed the exams but I'm going to come out with a fairly low qca

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

Financially, is it really worth it to repeat in that case? Do you believe you'll be able to recoup the extra cost through your improved knowledge and a nicer piece of paper?

I just don't know what to do with a Third Class Degree.
    My plan was to get a 2:2 and then do a masters and try to do better than the 2:2

If you're still interested in staying in 3rd level, you could consider another type of postgraduate course. Have you considered a higher diploma or post-graduate diploma?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

What makes you think you'd do a better job second time around? Not trying to be mean or picky but this is a question you need to answer honestly for yourself before going down this path.

Polar Ice wrote: »
    If you're still interested in staying in 3rd level, you could consider another type of postgraduate course. Have you considered a higher diploma or post-graduate diploma?
    I would possibly consider that but is it too late now?

ryanf1 wrote: »
    I would possibly consider that but is it too late now?

I don't know. You'll need to do your own research based on what areas you're interested in.

Advertisement