Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rust on puppy crate?

• 04-02-2014 6:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭

Howdy Folks

Picking up doggie number 2 this weekend. All set... bowls, collars, leads, tags, etc... and a smaller crate for the new arrival. Now, this crate is rusted in parts - so my question is this...

Do I clean the rust off? And if I don't get it all - is it a tad unsafe?
    Should I spray paint it - and similarly, would the paint be toxic to the puppy?

If I have to - I'll just fork out for a new one by Saturday... But this crate is perfect in size and is robust - but rusted in parts.

Cheers
    Hooked

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

I'd imagine as long as there aren't actual jaggedy edges the doggy can injure himself on, the main problem with having rusted bits on is that rust tends to spread, so if not dealt with it will destroy your crate in time. It should clean off just fine with oil and scrubbing, tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

ferretone wrote: »
    I'd imagine as long as there aren't actual jaggedy edges the doggy can injure himself on, the main problem with having rusted bits on is that rust tends to spread, so if not dealt with it will destroy your crate in time. It should clean off just fine with oil and scrubbing, tho.

It's rusted coz my auld man kept it in a damp shed (unused). Once cleaned, we'd have it indoors for a few months max, till the pup is toilet trained.

I'm just conscious of the pup licking any tiny bits of rust. Might just spring for a new one altogether...

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Have you thought of giving it a rub with a wire brush and spraying it with plasticote?
    As far as I know it's safe once dry for pets.

mymo wrote: »
    Have you thought of giving it a rub with a wire brush and spraying it with plasticote?
    As far as I know it's safe once dry for pets.

That's exactly what I was going to do. Remove as much of the rust as I can and spray it... But I'm not sure if it's 'safe'...

Well it's child safe, and I think I remember reading people using it on bird cages and small animals cages.
    I'd imagine once it's child safe it'll be fine for a husky pup, although I now imagine your pup in her pink crate!

• Advertisement

mymo wrote: »
    Well it's child safe, and I think I remember reading people using it on bird cages and small animals cages.
    I'd imagine once it's child safe it'll be fine for a husky pup, although I now imagine your pup in her pink crate!

'His' pink crate. We only have the pick if the boys. Alas, the one girl is spoken for.

Thanks again

Hooked wrote: »
    'His' pink crate. We only have the pick if the boys. Alas, the one girl is spoken for.

Thanks again

Awww, nice baby blue it is then :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

how exciting getting a puppy - only 3 more sleeps!!! :D

a wire brush will prob get off most of the rust - and now I cant remember why Im replying to you :confused:

oh yes, you could rub mineral oil or some such dog-friendly oil all over it, then rub it dry/clean (not salmon or cod liver oil though!!!) Im very pro-recycling!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I'd go with rubbing oil in too I think? Rather than go to the hassle of spraying. Don't forget too that a puppy crate from jebb is €30-40 - so don't spend a fortune on products to fix the rusty crate :p

tk123 wrote: »
    I'd go with rubbing oil in too I think? Rather than go to the hassle of spraying. Don't forget too that a puppy crate from jebb is €30-40 - so don't spend a fortune on products to fix the rusty crate :p

If only jebb weren't out of stock... :p

I'm in the attic with lemons and tinfoil painfully removing the rust... I'm on a sick day from work and just had to get out of bed and stop feeling sorry for myself!

C675561A-568F-4F1F-8382-9E17106EE3D9_zpsiwjkktot.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Ah it's so small lol! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Save yourself a lot of bother, get a few bottles of cheap cola, throw it in the bath and leave it soak, then give it a good scrub with a wire brush or the like, coke is fantastic for removing rust.

tk123 wrote: »
    Ah it's so small lol! :D

As opposed to his big brothers...

null_zps117ff2a7.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

After all those female names we wracked our brains over have you settled on Hugo's lil brother's name yet?

Pretzill wrote: »
    After all those female names we wracked our brains over have you settled on Hugo's lil brother's name yet?

I know, I know!!! What were the odds... All boys and one girl.

We were at Flyn or Clay... Then my OH decided this week that she liked plain old Jack!

So... Wanna start a poll? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Hooked wrote: »
    I know, I know!!! What were the odds... All boys and one girl.

We were at Flyn or Clay... Then my OH decided this week that she liked plain old Jack!

So... Wanna start a poll? :p

I said Jack originally...see I had all bases covered! Jack is another strong name -

Pretzill wrote: »
    I said Jack originally...see I had all bases covered! Jack is another strong name -

Did you now... I don't believe in coincidences - Flyn and Clay are a tad 'soft' whereas my OH agrees, like you, that Jack is a good, strong name.

I'll decide Saturday when I see the little trouble maker.

Thanks again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

He will either look like a 'Jack' or he wont - instantly!!
    Hugo & Jack are a nice mix too
    Dont forget to make a big fuss of Hugo so that his nose isnt out of joint with the new cutie interloper!

aonb wrote: »
    He will either look like a 'Jack' or he wont - instantly!!
    Hugo & Jack are a nice mix too
    Dont forget to make a big fuss of Hugo so that his nose isnt out of joint with the new cutie interloper!

Will do!!!

We've been waiting for this weekend for over a year... We have the introduction planned, separate 'quite time' spaces, enlarged outdoor kennel and 2 crates all ready to go. All manners of leads, harnesses and bowls and toys at the ready.

I've read more these past 2 weeks than I've read in a lifetime.

Hugo will be 3 in April and has really chilled and matured these past few months. He's a dream to walk, eat, sleep... and we include him in everything we do...

If his brother turns out to be half the dog he is, we'll have had lightning strike twice!

We just can't wait!

Advertisement