Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going rate for web development?

Options
  • 04-02-2014 6:31pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18

I hope it's ok to ask this here. I've been approached to do some website work and would like to know a fair going rate for it, as it is one of those jobs where clients often pose the question to you, and you don't want to commit yourself to a price that is too low, while obviously not wanting to scare people away.

Now I'm not talking about full on development in the form of programming scripts or anything advanced like that, more so front end CSS/HTML with some light PHP and database work along with image processing, SEO etc.

I suppose I could have done this the snide way and pretended to offer some work and seen what I was quoted, but I thought I'd be straight up. Aren't I great ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

50-120 quid an hour.

or

200-400 a day.

Others will have differing opinions I'm sure. Bottom line, charge is much as you can.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Without knowing your experience or the scope of the project it's kinda hard to put a figure on it.

If your 14 years old with a copy of Microsoft FrontPage 98 then about €50/day would be good going.
    If your 40 years old with a 20 year track record on major development projects for fortune 500 companies, perhaps €500 - €1000 per day.
    If your somewhere between those 2 then your daily rate will fall somewhere between the rates above.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 Splish Splashing

I thought I was fairly specific about the scope of the project. Safe to say it's not for a Fortune 500 company :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I thought I was fairly specific about the scope of the project.

Nope, nor about your level of experience. If that's the spec you got from the client, make sure your on a hourly/daily rate :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

KonFusion wrote: »
    Bottom line, charge is much as you can.

pretty much this. the Information asymmetry between development contractor and client is not far off the one between doctor and patient.

you want to be that cowboy that charges huge amounts for simple work! and try and get some money upfront. 25% maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Aswerty

The real question is: what is your time worth to you? If there is potential learning to be done on the project this can be factored into your rate. Other factors that might be reasons to work at a lesser rate are gaining free lance experience and/or building a portfolio. Though when I say a lesser rate I don't mean work for peanuts. And unless you're trying to make ends meet there should always be a chance of the client not being willing to pay your rate, otherwise you're going in too low.

As to what the market rate is? The old "how long is a length of string" adage might be trotted out. As others have said it is entirely dependent on experience. Though if your doing this as a side project the client probably isn't going to be looking to pay much. Also if the client doesn't have experience in the world of development they probably don't know the rates professionals with good experience can demand. I'd refer you back to my first line in any case.

Advertisement