Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unusual but harmless new behaviour.

• 04-02-2014 6:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭

So, Shadow's started doing this new thing now where he asks permission to get onto the bed at night. Not sure what's brought it on as he's slept on a bed every night for the past 9.5 years - surely he knows he's allowed :D

He asks permission by sitting, placing his paw on the item he wants/person who has the item he wants, and makes an odd grumbling noise. Every night he's doing this to the bed, and only when we BOTH tell him "Hup-up" will he get onto the bed and make himself comfy.

Only thing that's changed since he started doing it is me becoming pregnant. But we've not altered his sleeping habits since that happened.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

What a weird correlation.
    Mainly posting to mark this thread so that I can see what others say and it sounds odd but interesting behaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Should just clarify for people who don't know about Shadow's weird, self-learned trick is that he asks permission for anything, this isn't just the bed. He usually does it if you have something tasty he wants, if he needs to go outside or if he gives you his ball and wants you to throw it.

Imposing himself on something comfortable where myself and my partner are, like bed or the couch has never been something he's felt he needed to ask permission for first. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

That sounds so cute! Your dog has developed manners :D Hah!

Because you are pregnant he can probably sense a change (also, isnt ones temperature higher when one is pregnant?!) and is being nervous of jumping up on your bed?

One of my dogs is quite a nervous personality and he is also VERY vocal.
    He will moan and groan and whine and growl to get us to play with him or to give him something or other. He wont TAKE anything - ever. He just groans and moans and puts his chin on your knee to get your attention. Such a gentle little fool (and I know Im biased!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

That's so sweet, maybe he does feel the change now you're pregnant. I've been sick for a few days (but in denial about it, you know, "I'm fine, I just need a cuppa and a good nights sleep") but finally went to dr today, but dogs have been very good and quiet for last few days, not pestering me to play, walk etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Would he have trouble getting up on the bed now? My old guy now grumbles for everything - if he wants a drink he grumbles, if it's dinnertime he grumbles and when he wants to go out he grumbles. It's long since he got up on the bed or chair because he has arthritis and needs to know we're standing beside him when he gets up - his sight has also detioriated and I think he just needs the confidence that we're nearby when he wobbles. He's 15.

However 4 month old pup has adopted his habit of asking for things too, particularly dinner! Honestly bloody annoying when the two are grumbling at the same time!! :)

• Advertisement

It's cute indeed, but it can be a nightmare because if he gets off the bed to look out the window, he feels he has to ask permission to get back up again! We could be sound asleep, and he tries desperately to wake us without actually getting on the bed.

I thought possibly his joints, but then I watched him sail clean over the couch, from floor to floor over the bloody thing, just to get to Daddy coming in from work. He's still extremely sprightly, I was more inclined to think he might feel there's a reason why he wouldn't be allowed on the bed.

Could be the temperature change or something, really curious. Might explain why he follows me upstairs and sleeps on the landing if I'm using the bathroom though :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

They can be spritely when excited! Although my guy never sailed over amything (has hip probs from birth) he still jumps up like a two yr old when friends call!

Pretzill wrote: »
    They can be spritely when excited! Although my guy never sailed over amything (has hip probs from birth) he still jumps up like a two yr old when friends call!

It's possible, but once we tell him to get up on the bed, he's straight up, and he'll hop up no questions asked if we are not in it. Only seems to be at bedtime when we are both in bed that he does it. If I'm not in yet or partner's not in yet, he'll jump straight up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    It's possible, but once we tell him to get up on the bed, he's straight up, and he'll hop up no questions asked if we are not in it. Only seems to be at bedtime when we are both in bed that he does it. If I'm not in yet or partner's not in yet, he'll jump straight up!

Maybe he's hinting you need a bigger bed! ;)

mymo wrote: »
    Maybe he's hinting you need a bigger bed! ;)

Maybe he should hint harder at Daddy's wallet, I would love a bigger bed! Maybe I'll start begging to get into it too :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I'm going to suggest three things. Well, I'm going to agree with one thing, and suggest two others!
    There could very well be something in Pretzill's suggestion that Shadow might just feel a bit creaky and arthritic, and unsure about jumping up onto the bed: there is a well-recognised pattern in animals (including humans) who, when very excited, almost "forget" that they're sore: adrenaline is a great instant painkiller. So, when a dog is beginning to feel a bit creaky, the owner all too often dismisses it due to seemingly contradictory behaviours in other scenarios. Getting excited when "dad" gets home is a very different prospect to jumping up into the bed, from a standstill, in the dead of night... does that make sense?

However, just say he's not sore. Just say he feels fine, but there were one or two nights where he felt a bit off. Or one of ye was lying in such a way that he just couldn't jump aboard? If he started doing this "asking permission" thing, because that's something he does a lot anyway so it was worth giving it a shot in this situation, and he got some unexpected attention, laughs, or contact as a result of doing it? This could very well have positively reinforced the "asking permission" behaviour when he wants to get back into the bed. Or, could his sudden realisation mean that he now knows has a slave to lift him into the bed, rather than him having to expend energy?!

Bear in mind too that older dogs often start to exhibit increased anxiety, and as Shadow has always been a little anxious about some things throughout life, his chances of developing higher anxiety levels as an older dog are greater. So, maybe one night, when he tried to jump into the bed, he slipped a bit? Or one of ye moved just as he was jumping in? Or something else happened to make him go "wah!", he might just be feeling a little bit worried about taking the leap of faith!

There's also a chance that two, or all three of these elements are at play altogether! Am I right in thinking he's not a fan of the vet? I think it would do no harm to get him checked out to see that his mobility is okay. If he HATES the vet, one way of testing the hypothesis is for your vet to prescribe painkillers, and see if this makes any difference. If it does, you know you've got a problem with underlying pain. Hopefully, that's not it. Or if it is, it's something very treatable.

DBB wrote: »
    I'm going to suggest three things. Well, I'm going to agree with one thing, and suggest two others!
    There could very well be something in Pretzill's suggestion that Shadow might just feel a bit creaky and arthritic, and unsure about jumping up onto the bed: there is a well-recognised pattern in animals (including humans) who, when very excited, almost "forget" that they're sore: adrenaline is a great instant painkiller. So, when a dog is beginning to feel a bit creaky, the owner all too often dismisses it due to seemingly contradictory behaviours in other scenarios. Getting excited when "dad" gets home is a very different prospect to jumping up into the bed, from a standstill, in the dead of night... does that make sense?

However, just say he's not sore. Just say he feels fine, but there were one or two nights where he felt a bit off. Or one of ye was lying in such a way that he just couldn't jump aboard? If he started doing this "asking permission" thing, because that's something he does a lot anyway so it was worth giving it a shot in this situation, and he got some unexpected attention, laughs, or contact as a result of doing it? This could very well have positively reinforced the "asking permission" behaviour when he wants to get back into the bed. Or, could his sudden realisation mean that he now knows has a slave to lift him into the bed, rather than him having to expend energy?!

Bear in mind too that older dogs often start to exhibit increased anxiety, and as Shadow has always been a little anxious about some things throughout life, his chances of developing higher anxiety levels as an older dog are greater. So, maybe one night, when he tried to jump into the bed, he slipped a bit? Or one of ye moved just as he was jumping in? Or something else happened to make him go "wah!", he might just be feeling a little bit worried about taking the leap of faith!

There's also a chance that two, or all three of these elements are at play altogether! Am I right in thinking he's not a fan of the vet? I think it would do no harm to get him checked out to see that his mobility is okay. If he HATES the vet, one way of testing the hypothesis is for your vet to prescribe painkillers, and see if this makes any difference. If it does, you know you've got a problem with underlying pain. Hopefully, that's not it. Or if it is, it's something very treatable.

You're right, he despises the vet :o Vet means other dogs and sitting still, although the vet lady himself he doesn't mind so much. I'll see if I can get some painkillers for him, but honestly the other suggestion that we might have made it difficult for him to get into bed sounds likely!
    I lie arseways now that I have to lie on my side so it's possible one of us made him fall or he didn't land on the bed right :p

On another note, he gave the pram the "please" paw and whinge just now. I thought "Aww, how sweet!" then realised he had somehow thrown his tennis ball into it when playing earlier. Wasn't even aware I could see him!

"Please mister wheel-basket, may I has my green fluffy?"

Advertisement