Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Full HD

Options
  • 04-02-2014 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭

my friend gave me a laptop to fix for him, he hadn't used it since 2005, and at that time it was because of a Trojan affecting the desktop.

I have since removed all viruses and laptop is up and running. When i was installing the antivirus, Windows informed me of low disk space.

I have narrowed down the location as "My Documents", when i select properties, i am informed that there's 13Gb in there. But the My Documents folder is empty for a few files that total about 20Mb, i cannot see any files in any of the folders that would amass a size of 13Gb.

I also chose "show hidden files and folders", but there's nothing again to amass 13gb.

What could be wrong?

Sony Vaio PCG-791M
    Win XP SP3
    500MB RAM
    14GB HD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Presumably you have cleared all temporary internet files and everything else disk cleanup will clear. If it will boot from a USB boot it into a lightweight linux distro and check the disk contents. Linux will show all the files even one windows won't.

It may have a shed load of files from a user account no longer accessible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

Thanks for the help, but i just went ahead and re-formatted.

Advertisement