Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

alarm new build

Options
  • 04-02-2014 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

hi all just looking for advice

i am first fixing my house and looking inot alarm systems. i have nice timber windows and not keen on fitting wire and sensor to them. jus wondering is there other options available. i do shift work and would want a system that my wife can arm the the out side windows while she is inside. i dont know much about what available but think i wired system is the only one i can use fro this. if any one has any advice it would be great. i am in cork if any one is into alarms locally.

regards paddy

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If the first fixing is done correctly the cables can be positioned correctly so as not to be visible. As regards fixing to the windows I don't see the difference between wired or wireless.
    If you are considering PiRs (motion detectors) instead of doing the windows I would strongly suggest against this type of system. These sensors do not trigger untill someone has actually gained entry into your home. At that stage the damage is done.
    All good systems would have at lease a couple of part set options to allow you to set the system while someone is home.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

I agree completely with Koolkid, as a mattter of fact wired sensors are smaller than wireless ones and if they are the wrong shade of brown they can always be painted/ sprayed.

You will have to do the windows if your wife wants to move around the house while the system is in partguard mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭paddym3

dont haev the wires ran yet for alarm just wondering best system i could use with out screwing to the windows. i know it double barrel question just dont really want see them

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You can't make an omelette without breaking eggs!
    Perimeter protection with sensors & contacts backed up by a couple of PiRs is the best solution.

paddym3 wrote: »
    dont haev the wires ran yet for alarm just wondering best system i could use with out screwing to the windows. i know it double barrel question just dont really want see them

Sorry, is it the way you do not want to see the sensors or the screws? Or you just do not want them screwed to your windows?

• Advertisement

kub wrote: »
    Sorry, is it the way you do not want to see the sensors or the screws? Or you just do not want them screwed to your windows?

Sorry for confusion. I don't really want to screw them to window or see them. But if it the only way to secure the house it is all I can do. I taught technology would have an other option but looks like it doesn't. I will get wires ran to the windows

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Sorry for confusion. I don't really want to screw them to window or see them. But if it the only way to secure the house it is all I can do. I taught technology would have an other option but looks like it doesn't. I will get wires ran to the windows

A good installer will hide all the cables where possible, like drilling through the frames to hide the cables and HKC have a new slimline sensor out that's very small so you should ask any potential installers for their recommendation for doing the above.

Also, don't expect an installer to spend hours hiding cables for nothing.

OP in my own experience over the years, when brown sensors/ contacts are fitted to windows it is very difficult to see them. The reason being that when you look out a window your eyes adjust to the outside light and if for example you have brown sensors on a brown frame they are invisible to the eye.

Except of course when its dark, but then you have curtains and blinds which mostly are pulled in the dark, so obviously the sensors are covered.

I only wish while doing service calls that blinds/ curtains were not in the way of the sensors. :rolleyes:

Sorry small Edit, I also agree with what Fred said above regarding getting a good installer to actually take the time to hide the cables.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 322 ✭✭jpb14

You could use some mini trunking on the window frames for the wires.
    In time you wont notice the sensors and especially if you will be installing roman blinds or wooden blinds.
    Allow a small distance gap for when installing the blinds so that you dont get them touching off the contacts or sensors and setting the alarm off needlessly.

ok thankfs for all the advice i will get the wires ran to the windows and just deal with the unsighlty sensor and wires. drillthe frames is not a option but will work out some way to keep them neat and tidy. my windows are all top hung so sensor be best position down low near the handle?
    i will look into " HKC " sensors as a option.

• Advertisement

ok thankfs for all the advice i will get the wires ran to the windows and just deal with the unsighlty sensor and wires. drillthe frames is not a option but will work out some way to keep them neat and tidy. my windows are all top hung so sensor be best position down low near the handle?
    i will look into " HKC " sensors as a option.

Yes as the windows are hinged at the top then the further the contacts are away from the hinges then the more effective they are.

Advertisement