Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Swansea sack Laudrup

• 04-02-2014 8:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭

:eek:

Dunno if he was sacked or if it was mutual but that comes as a huge surprise to me.

They sacked him!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

been rumored for a while now and I don't think him and the chairman seen eye to eye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

heard it this morning from Swansea fan and I just laughed back.

ouch.

and cardiff coming up too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Checks date - not April 1st - what's wrong with this world?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

What's the record for managers sacked in a season? Must be getting close this year.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Ffs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Didn't give the impression he was too interested this season compared to last, some bad blood between him and the chairman since the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Checks date - not April 1st - what's wrong with this world?

Lunatics running the asylum in the Premier League.

Power hungry chairmen with unrealistic expectations.

Swansea are 3 points off plum mid-table. THREE!

Laudrup delivered them their first trophy since 1734.

He delivered constantly decent football.

And , above anything else, he delivered a shed load of common sense. He speaks in plain english. He's one of the very few managers in the PL who calls a spade a spade, says what he thinks and doesn't speak in riddles and clichés.

Would not be surprised whatsoever to see this backfire and Swansea go down.

Laudrup was a breath of fresh air for the league and for Swansea.

Sad to see him go and really hope his next role is in England, will be a loss to the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

This is beyond ridiculous. Laudrup is a much better manager than Swansea are a club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Haha ****ing ridicolous. Still in the running for Europe and not exactly scrapping by in the Premier League, which is considerable considering the above... it's all a sham.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

This crazy sh1te,

Great manager,who plays a good brand of football,

Im sure he will move on to big and better things,

Who is the favourite for the Swansea job?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Who on Earth can they get who is conceivably better?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Who is the favourite for the Swansea job?

Paul Jones i think his name is.

I think this is a good decision for both parties, Laudrup didnt want to be there was leaving in the summer. New guy gets to assess the squad in the meantime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Don't understand the surprise at this.

Hasn't there been talk of unrest since the summer?

Huw Jenkins comes across as a very ambitious man and i get the vibe he envisions Swansea as a top 6 club some day soon.

He did well with his appointments. Martinez. Rodgers. Laudrup.

Sooner or later he's going to appoint a complete flop. Law of averages alone. If that flop is the next one then they'll be playing in the Championship next year.

He needs to remember who he is chairman of.

Swansea! With all due respect it's a city with 230,000 people and a massively competing sport in rugby - with the Ospreys. Their fan base isn't huge, their stadium is small enough and their finances are on a relatively small scale too for the PL.

Delusions of grandeur need to be replaced by realism. For Swansea, success should always be retention of their Premier League status. Throwing £10m+ at Wilifred Bony doesn't mean you can suddenly expect to kick on from 10th to 6th.

I'm 100% convinced Laudrup would have guided them to a boring, respectable 10th or 11th place finish. If the new man mucks it up, they go down, the exodus of Michu, Vorm, Bony, Williams, Shelvey etc begins and good luck getting out of the dogfight of the Championship. Actually good luck even staying in the Championship - that's a seriously slippery slope they could be on soon enough.

This is the worst sacking decision i have seen in a long, long time. Chris Hughton at Newcastle was bad, this is on a different scale of bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,281 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

He has been sacked because of the constant speculation around his future, his own lack of certainty and his reluctance to commit to the club. Its said that the dressing room atmosphere has suffered as a result, i can understand the decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

Sacking managers is like the "in" thing to do now. Sure look at Nigel Adkins at Southampton. Took them from bottom of league 1 to premiership in 2 years and he gets the boot. Pottechino is a good manager but Adkins should have been given a chance.

And now Laudrup who was doing a fine job at an over achieving club is gone.

Fcuking chairmen need a kick in the bollix. Football is becoming laughable and not worth following anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Understandable enough really. He isnt gonna be there past the summer anyway and better to get something more solid in. Recent performances have been a bit gormless too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Suprised to see Laudrup sacked.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Wouldn't be surprised to see united make a move for him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,463 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Football clubs and their stupid ideas

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

KevIRL wrote: »
    Understandable enough really. He isnt gonna be there past the summer anyway and better to get something more solid in. Recent performances have been a bit gormless too

I can't agree there.

He stated on record many times he'd carry on til the summer.

Even if they appoint someone on a 3 year deal, it's going to take the new manager time to get to know the players and implement his philosophy.

No point getting someone "more solid" in when they might be taking them down in the process of implementing his philosophy.

Laudrup should have been allowed to finish the season, finish the european campaign and it could have been an amicable parting of ways at the end of it. Swansea were a team i had a lot of time for but after this i'm meh on whether they stay up or not. Would almost serve them right if they don't.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,868 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Ridiculous.

Stoke go from relegation to eleventh with one win. ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Wouldn't be surprised to see united make a move for him!

Leeds United!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

dobman88 wrote: »
    . Sure look at Nigel Adkins at Southampton. Took them from bottom of league 1 to premiership in 2 years and he gets the boot. Pottechino is a good manager but Adkins should have been given a chance.

At the time of the sacking, I think most would have agreed with that. However, with the benefit of hindsight, it looks to have been a shrewd move.

While it was unfair on Adkins, the priority is the success of the club, and the that end its hard to fault them

There's basically 2 ways this can go:

1. Tony Pulis
    2. David Moyes

If it goes 1) then fine they'll go on a run finish mid table. New manager, instant impact.

If it goes 2) then it's the Championship. New manager, needs time. Lots of it.

It's an unnecessary risk when Laudrup was almost certainly going to keep them up. The players were still playing for him, you only have to look at their recent 2-0 win they ran their balls off for the manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I wonder what Tim Sherwood is thinking about right now or should that be what is Daniel Levy thinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

People don't seem to realise that he was leaving in the Summer anyway.

Also, they only have 1 win in 10. Given Swansea's performance up until that point, its surely within the realms of possibility that Laudrup's uncertainty was affecting the club.

Huw Jenkins is one of the canniest chairmen in football and I would be inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt on this one.

LiamoSail wrote: »
    At the time of the sacking, I think most would have agreed with that. However, with the benefit of hindsight, it looks to have been a shrewd move.

While it was unfair on Adkins, the priority is the success of the club, and the that end its hard to fault them

At least Southampton got rid of him in January.

It takes all kinds of stupid to sack a manager 4 days after the transfer window shuts. Made even dumber by the fact Laudrup signed some players last month himself!

This is a nonsense "footballing decision".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Always love reading the clueless reactions of most people in these sackings thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

It takes all kinds of stupid to sack a manager 4 days after the transfer window shuts. Made even dumber by the fact Laudrup signed some players last month himself!

If the rumour of him going in the summer is true, there is some logic to punting him now.

Given their form, whoever comes in won't do as badly as they Laudrup has been of late. Couple that with the advantage of giving the new man time in the job before the new season and I can see the thinking behind it, that is assuming they know their man

Still risky though, whatever about the run they've been on, I wouldn't doubt Laudrup's ability to keep them up

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Always love reading the clueless reactions of most people in these sackings thread.

Care to tell us more? You agree or disagree with Swanseas choice?

They should have got rid him last summer IMO when he said he would leave this summer

People don't seem to realise that he was leaving in the Summer anyway.

Also, they only have 1 win in 10. Given Swansea's performance up until that point, its surely within the realms of possibility that Laudrup's uncertainty was affecting the club.

Huw Jenkins is one of the canniest chairmen in football and I would be inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt on this one.

1 win in 10.....

In 5 of the last 10 games they came up against: Man City, Chelsea, Man United, Spurs, Everton.

In the other 5: West Ham, Fulham, Aston Villa, Hull, Norwich.

They only lost once out of the second bracket of matches. Teams they are directly competing with in the league.

Goes back to realism. If you have a run of fixtures as Swansea City and you're up against City, Chelsea, Man U, Spurs, Everton then you have to be realistic enough to expect very little.

Laudrup was always realistic about who he was competing against and for what.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,428 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Stupid foreign owners, they haven't a clue.

Oh, hold on......

LiamoSail wrote: »
    If the rumour of him going in the summer is true, there is some logic to punting him now.

Given their form, whoever comes in won't do as badly as they Laudrup has been of late. Couple that with the advantage of giving the new man time in the job before the new season and I can see the thinking behind it, that is assuming they know their man

Still risky though, whatever about the run they've been on, I wouldn't doubt Laudrup's ability to keep them up

as i said slightly above, they aren't on a bad run of form.

They are on a bad run of fixtures and have plenty of nice fixtures to come (for them).

Last month they faced Man City, Man United and Spurs first 3 PL games. They got what most expected out of those - 0.

They then faced Fulham and won. Which is about all they can do. Beat the sides they should be beating and if there are any bonuses (i.e. converting that 3-2 defeat to City into a draw) then great.

Their season won't be defined by a run of defeats against the top 6 clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I'd agree with this, if it wasn't for the fact that Jenkins signed David Ngog and Marvin Emnes.

• Advertisement

Stupid foreign owners, they haven't a clue.

Oh, hold on......

Wales - where men are men, and sheep are ...scared

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Huw Jenkins is not a man prone to making silly errors so lets so if this is one when we knew who the new manager is.

There does seem to be some issues in the dressing room - re the Spanish signings v everyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Hold on now. Huw Jenkins took over Swansea when they were in the bottom half of the fourth tier of English football and close to bankruptcy. Ten years later they are an established Premier League club making a profit. See the below link for a summary of the Swansea miracle.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/21535027

Can you not accept that there may be circumstances that you are not aware of that justify the decision to get rid of Laudrup?

Care to tell us more? You agree or disagree with Swanseas choice?

They should have got rid him last summer IMO when he said he would leave this summer

I agree with Swansea. There is no way this move can be viewed as crazy as some people are making it out to be.

Wenger has been Arsenal manager for 6335 days.
    All other current PL managers combined have been in position for 6504 days.
    Though Swansea did win the League Cup last season.

• Advertisement

Laudrup has Swansea still in the 5th Round of the FA Cup, last-32 of the Europa League and 12th in the league.

That's pretty phenomenal when you think about it for any side - Newcastle are a prime example of how the Europa League can affect a PL campaign; and Newcastle are about 5 times the size of Swansea in all ways.

How anybody can argue it's a good decision to call time on all that to plump for a new manager in Feb who might a) do better or b) stay longer, is mind boggling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its worth pointing out Swanseas shocking form since they qualified for the League Cup final last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Rumours of unrest, fights and so forth.

Too much smoke for there not to be any fire.

Not surprising.

6 points from their last 30. But yea, absolute crazy to sack a guy who's going to be leaving in the summer anyway. At least hang on and give him a chance to relegate them first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Personally, have to place all the blame on Michu here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Swansea have been poor for almost a year. Not that much of a surprise really, especially with the all stuff coming out about players not happy with training and a poor atmosphere at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Laudrup has Swansea still in the 5th Round of the FA Cup, last-32 of the Europa League and 12th in the league.

That's pretty phenomenal when you think about it for any side - Newcastle are a prime example of how the Europa League can affect a PL campaign; and Newcastle are about 5 times the size of Swansea in all ways.

How anybody can argue it's a good decision to call time on all that to plump for a new manager in Feb who might a) do better or b) stay longer, is mind boggling.

Please explain

Hold on now. Huw Jenkins took over Swansea when they were in the bottom half of the fourth tier of English football and close to bankruptcy. Ten years later they are an established Premier League club making a profit. See the below link for a summary of the Swansea miracle.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/21535027

Can you not accept that there may be circumstances that you are not aware of that justify the decision to get rid of Laudrup?
    i'd have stuck by him til the summer rain hail or shine, the alternative is far too risky.
    6 points from their last 30. But yea, absolute crazy to sack a guy who's going to be leaving in the summer anyway. At least hang on and give him a chance to relegate them first.
    6 points from 30 looks bad right?

Last 9 fixtures:

West Ham (a)
    Fulham (h)
    Spurs (h)
    Man Utd (a)
    Man City (h)
    Aston Villa (a)
    Chelsea (a)
    Everton (h)
    Norwich (a)

In the corresponding set of fixtures last year, Swansea took 2 points out of 27 (draws against Norwich away and City at home)

It's not a "bad run of form".

It's lazy to imply that.

It's a bad run of fixtures, and they have actually improved on their results from the previous season in those - even if 4 points is still bad, it's a damn sight better than 2!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Madness.

I hope Mike Ashley is on the phone to him.

Would love to see him at Newcastle, personally.

But he will probably go foreign.

Last 9 fixtures:

West Ham (a)
    Fulham (h)
    Spurs (h)
    Man Utd (a)
    Man City (h)
    Aston Villa (a)
    Chelsea (a)
    Everton (h)
    Norwich (a)

In the corresponding set of fixtures last year, Swansea took 2 points out of 27 (draws against Norwich away and City at home)

It's not a "bad run of form".

It's lazy to imply that.

It's a bad run of fixtures, and they have actually improved on their results from the previous season in those - even if 4 points is still bad, it's a damn sight better than 2!!

It is a bad run of form. Last year they had shocking run of form after the league cup win but they were basically already safe from relegation so it didn't matter. Problem is now they aren't safe from relegation. It's hard to know if Laudrop can turn around that form. Add in the fact he's leaving anyway you'd wonder if he's hugely bothered and it's a huge cause for concern to keep him on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement