Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SU Constitution Referendum

• 04-02-2014 10:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭

Quote from email from the SU:
    Dear Students,

This is to inform you that on Wednesday the 12th of February a referendum on the Constitution of Maynooth Students' Union will be held across campus. Copies of the new proposed constitution will be distributed across all major buildings on campus and copies will also be available from the SUHQ reception desk.

Some of the main points are as follows:
    *Introduction of an Education Officer as a full time Sabbatical position.
    *The introduction of a Kilkenny Campus Rep (Part-Time)
    *The introduction of a Froebel Rep (Part-Time)
    *The introduction of a Newspaper Editor (Part-Time)
    *The introduction of a Promotions Officer (Part-Time)
    *Renaming Theology to Saint Patrick's College Rep (Part Time)
    *The removal of the Full Time Sabbatical role for Services Events and Communications.
    *Reinforced and clearly defined role description for Clubs & Societies Sabbatical position, the removal of Union Development and the introduction of Student Engagement to that role.
    *Increased measures of accountability for full-time sabbatical officers by including adherence to policy on conduct whilst serving term of office.

A Town Hall meeting will be held on Monday the 10th of February at 6:pm in TH1 in the Arts Block building on North Campus, where all students are welcome to attend and debate and question the motions being proposed.

Ben was mad to cut the VPCSUD role when I went to one of those meetings he had on this a while back. Shame to see that it was shelved. No need for a clubs and socs sabbat IMO, should just be part time like it used to be, with support from the rest of the exec/staff. Especially now that they're not going to be over the class reps etc. What the hell are they going to spend their time doing? No issues with comms being cut either. Makes much more sense for The Print to be run in a societyesque way. Education officer was always needed as that involves a huge amount of case work/meetings.

I won't be near campus to vote/see all the craic so I'll have to live vicariously through this thread.

Also, Duddy isn't RO any more WAT

Edit: From a closer reading of the new constitution:
    - Quorum of Union Council is now 40% (pretty sure it wasn't that high before?) - gidlaaaaaaaaaaaack.
    - Liking the Campaigns, Welfare & Equality Committee and having to have at least two equality campaigns per year seeing as I don't think I've ever seen an SU equality campaign from any VPWE. Like to think I had some impact on getting that put in :P Don't know why it's not three campaigns like it is for welfare though. I do have some issues with membership make up of the committee but can't be arsed posting it on here.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

My thoughts on it are nerdy and complicated. But then I remembered I shouldn't think about it in case I get flashbacks.

*flashbacks*

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

A lot of fuss was made over the Clubs and Socs VP position which I think forced Ben to have to change the proposal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭Toshi101

They will get Quorom. They promised to take orders for hoodies :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Duddy

Seren_ wrote: »

Also, Duddy isn't RO any more WAT

Alas, PhD life is too hectic.

I've hung up my democracy baton for good.

Farewell.

I might be counting votes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Now that Duddy's not RO, I have literally nothing to associate him with. Ah Duddy yeah, he's eh... he's... um. You know he used to be the RO?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Alt_Grrr

I see they retained C&S Council,
    I'd rather they confined it to the dustbin of bad ideas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Glad they are reforming the Clubs and Socs position, even though my idea of the role Union Development last year was exactly what they are introducing. With the introduction of Student Engagement it would lead to more work for the officer as they are responsible for the MSU charity and for coordinating activities in the community.

To be fair to Ben it did seem like some Clubs and Socs reps did support his plan to remove the position, I have a feeling that he consulted a few of these before the memorable C&S Council.

The Referendum should pass, but whether it reaches quorum is another thing. It really is a good step forward for the Union.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 MalCallan

Quorum is the main issue for us. The main elections reach about 2,300 people with about 30 people running in elections, thousands being spent and over 100 people canvassing and volunteering. For this to be valid we need 1,500 to vote. Our exec can only make so much noise. Very hard to call, but we're murdering ourselves to get whatever result we can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Referendum Results:
    Quorum: 1,366
    Total Poll: 1,964
    Yes: 1,868
    No: 91
    Spoiled: 5

This referendum has thus been deemed passed!

Very impressive turnout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Very impressive turnout.

Yeah, clearly the extra polling stations helped.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I have to say that I'm pretty impressed by the turnout. I really wasn't expecting quota to be made particularly after seeing the multiple snapchats sent by Mal and emails sent today.

Advertisement