Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SoccerManager.com (#3) The Boards.ie World

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Pretty happy with that as my 1st game in div 1,

Tommy Cahir steered AS Roma to victory against Borussia Dortmund.
    AS Roma beat Borussia Dortmund 2 - 0 in their Division 1 fixture.
    Courtois had an impressive game and was voted Man of the Match.
    Farfán and Totti were amongst the goalscorers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

modo85 wrote: »
    Thanks to ac Milan for loaning me 2 defenders and napoli for loaning me 1, all 3 started and finished the game in cruzeiro's 4-0 win, all 3 got a rating of 8

Just on this - still willing to loan anyone that me lovely chairman will allow.....

And off to a good start to the season.
    Al Capwned steered Barcelona to victory against Hamburger SV.
    Barcelona beat Hamburger SV 2 - 0 in their Division 2 fixture.
    Mascherano scored a goal and was later voted Man of the Match for his performance.
    Messi was also on the scoresheet for his side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

Been away in Vancouver the last week so apologies for any non replies etc, gonna try get around to all today!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I know fitness doesn't play into SMFA cups and shields, but do injuries and suspensions?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I know fitness doesn't play into SMFA cups and shields, but do injuries and suspensions?

I don't know if injured/suspended players can play in the games but I know players can't get injured in them...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭bazarakus

Yes.

Yeah, Puyol was suspended for the CL Final last season for me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Ok, cool. Means I need to sub out 2 people tonight :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Hope my asst manager can beat FC lorient, don't know whether to change a thing in my next match as my stats where good.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

It was a long long night for supporters of Estudiantes who still had no clue as to what the outcome would be over their managers future. By morning time, all they had come to know was that they were going to have to wait another bit longer. However, when the chairmen called an emergency press conference for four o'clock, fans began to feel the worst. "Was this really happening?" and "Has he finally been tempted from us?" were the typical sentiments across the supporters network. All they could do though, was wait. Wait another several hours for what could be sheer jubilation, or utter devastation.

One hour before the press conference and the conference hall at the Estadio Único was already packed with with the local and national media alike eagerly awaiting the most anticipated press conference held by Estudiantes since the appointment of Wilberto over one calender year ago. Finally, at approximately 4:15pm, the President of Estudiantes, Enrique Lombardi, walked in and followed by the main man in question. After both had taken their seats, and the photographers settled down, Enrique gave broke the news to a tensely silent crowd;

"After a long discussion with Wilberto, by which I mean trying to convince him to stay, I think we have both come to the conclusion that it's best if he moves on to pastures new. I think we can all agree that he made a vital contribution to this club, bringing us to a play-off final last season against all odds but, in light of the continued interest in him from other clubs, it is only right to allow him to leave and I, for one, will not stand in his way. On behalf of everyone here at Estudiantes, I would just like the profoundly acknowledge the monumental achievements you've accomplished at this club and I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say that we are forever indebted to you."

After the Presidents rather emotive speech, followed by a rapturous applause, Wilberto himself stood up and gave a brief farewell speech;

"First of all, thank you Enrique for those kind words. It has been a privilege and an honour to manage this great great Argentine club. It is of course always sad to leave a place that's so close to your heart but, in truth, sometimes a manager can just outstay his welcome. I've brought this club to a top five finish. I've assembled a nice youngish squad for my replacement to take charge of. I honestly think now that, if I was to stay on, it could cause more harm than good. I know it may be hard for some people to see considering our achievements last year but what this club needs is a change of leadership. Someone with new and fresh ideas. I wanted to leave this great club in a better place than it was when I took over, and I certainly believe that I have done that. Thank you all at this fine club for making my lengthy stay a most enjoyable and memorable one."

And with that, the press conference concluded with a prolonged standing ovation after which Wilberto disappeared behind the closed doors, and left the Estadio Único for the last time in a limousine, paid in full by the players as a token of their appreciation, and headed straight for the airport.

• Advertisement

When confronted by journalists while entering his appartment building in Lisbon, Benfica manager José Seaninho had this to say about rumours that he was in talks to return to the other side of the city following the sacking of Cian Baker.

"Everyone knows that sporting have a special place in my heart, they are a special club to me and I am special to them. I signed all of their first team.
    I won the league with them, we went 27 games unbeaten, I have a good relationship with everyone in the squad, it is my squad. Will I be the manager of Sporting again, I don't know, anything can happen.
    I am happy in Benfica, Lisbon is my city and which club I manage isn't important, what is important is that I make the decision which is best for me, Sporting and Benfica. I love both clubs and both sets of fans and I don't want to let anyone down. This is a very hard decision and one I cannot make lightly."

It's believed that Seaninho will hold talks with the chairmen of both Benfica and Sporting tonight in an effort to decide his future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,271 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Atlético Madrid 3-3 Genoa

In my first foray into the Elite competitions.

Exact same scorers for me as my league goals last night, Giovinco with 2 and Lombaerts.

I can't understand the ratings though, Giovinco scored a brace in both games and came away from both with a rating of 5!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Looks like its Portugal they are reviewing at the min?

Anyhow my promising young RB Cancelo goes to 80 this morn!!

He looks like a very good prospect for the future indeed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Looks like its Portugal they are reviewing at the min?

Anyhow my promising young RB Cancelo goes to 80 this morn!!

He looks like a very good prospect for the future indeed!

Thanks for the tip on him, got him in the EB league ;)

Signed this guy not 100% sure if he's good but what I'm less sure of is benfica putting in an offer worth lower than the one he can see.

Lucas ORBÁN has completed his move to Dynamo Kyiv from FC Lorient for 9,000,000. All other offers were turned down.

I put in the offerI felt he was worth, if someone else pulled out, I'd have got him. He's decent backup, nothing else.

In an emotional and hastily organised press conference to address the issue of which side of Lisbon he will spend the rest of the season on, José Seaninho had this to say.

"Ever since I left Sporting they have been unfortunate with their choices of managers. The first came in and did ok but had to retire from the game for personal reasons. The second, well, I don't want to say anything about him as a person, but as a manager he was a disaster.

I had to watch while the team I built, a team of young players who I believe in, a team who should be playing in Division 2 this season, lurched from one humiliation to another and finished in the relegation zone in Division 3.

When the position of manager was advertised my heart jumped, I had a chance to go back and save them. They need a saviour, they need a man who can believe in their abilities, they need the man who built them into a great team.

I have built an exciting, attacking team here at Benfica, a team I believe should have got promoted last season but a dropping points at the end of the season meant we ended up in the play off lottery and in the end lost to a fantastic Villa team and manager.
    I believe that Benfica can go on to great things, but unfortunately, I won't be the one to take them there.

I have to follow my heart, I have to answer the call, I have to save Sporting Lisbon and bring them back to the heights we have reached together before.
    I will be dropping down 2 divisions, I have told the Chairman I want no wage for the following season and I only hope that the fans still have the love for me that I still have for them and the team and can welcome me back with open arms.
    This has been one of the easiest and also most difficult decisions I have ever made. Easy in that Sporting is my first love, difficult in that I believe Benfica are destined for greatness. But the heart wants what the heart wants.

I leave Benfica with the blessing of Luís Filipe Vieira and return to the warm embrace of Sporting thanks to the compassion of Bruno de Carvalho.

Benfica adeus e obrigado por tudo!

Sporting, my love, I'm coming home, and we are going to win the league together again!!!"

Genoa Manager Briano McDermotini had this to say about Seaninho's return to Sporting, "I was seconds away from singing Nainggolan, it was like Roy Keane to Blackburn all over again " said the Genoa manager, "but something was wrong, something did not feel right . . i knew the wrong man was in charge, i withdrew my bid and sure he was already on a plane to Rome" he continued, "i knew the special one would return one day and i wish him well with bringing Sporting back to the dizzy heights he once had them at".

We expect more of world football's leading lights to give their opinion of the return of "The Special One" to his "spiritual home" in Estádio José Alvalade.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Sorry Man City, but due to the excellent squad assembled by the previous Schalke administration, I won't be needing ANY of those three loanees! :):D:D :pac:

Eh lads, TSC is a mod now. Shhhhh......
    Him and the two newbies and Kersplat with his one exclamation mark are all watching us........

645a4b4131572aa6ee51008e7c18c67a.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭gerp99

Wilberto wrote: »
    Sorry Man City, but due to the excellent squad assembled by the previous Schalke administration, I won't be needing ANY of those three loanees! :):D:D :pac:

No worries :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Al Capwned wrote: »
    Eh lads, TSC is a mod now. Shhhhh......
    Him and the two newbies and Kersplat with his one exclamation mark are all watching us........

645a4b4131572aa6ee51008e7c18c67a.gif

Soccermanager members slowly taking over boards :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Soccermanager members slowly taking over boards :D
    Got a problem with it?

A94bXnf.gif

Schalke have challenged Estudiantes to a friendly.
    Estudiantes have accepted the friendly challenge to play Schalke.

:):):)

I miss them already! :D:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭unkymo

Everton manager here. I've been very quiet since we got promoted back to Division 1.

I tried to buy a few players with cash during the pre-season but everyone wanted Barkley or Coleman in exchange so obviously I brought in no-one!

Anyway if anyone has a 90+ striker for sale and wants cash only then send me a PM.

unkymo wrote: »
    Everton manager here. I've been very quiet since we got promoted back to Division 1.

I tried to buy a few players with cash during the pre-season but everyone wanted Barkley or Coleman in exchange so obviously I brought in no-one!

Anyway if anyone has a 90+ striker for sale and wants cash only then send me a PM.

This isn't a go at you, more a general statement but if you want high rated players you're gonna need to trade. I wouldn't trade either of your players unless it was a savage deal but thems the breaks. Not many people will deal in cash nevermind cash for a high rated player

Akinfeev to drop by 5 after that goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭unkymo

Its a bit of a pain at this stage.

I make an offer in cash then the counter offer is either Barkley or Coleman. I've a small enough squad as it is compared to other teams.

Anyway I shall soldier on!!

I make an offer in cash then the counter offer is either Barkley or Coleman. I've a small enough squad as it is compared to other teams.

See the thing is, you want a good player for cash. If I offered you cash for Barkley or Coleman you'd laugh at me, so why should someone sell a good player for cash if you aren't willing to? Tis a vicious circle. Anyway, like you said, soldier on. Welcome to Division 1! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

If I was in your shoes, Id turn it around ...

Rather than trying to get players for cash and not consider moving barkley and coleman ... id put the 2 lads up for sale, and would want atleast 2 players for each, you'd easily get another 89 and an 87/88 for coleman, and I think you should be able to get 2 88's at a minimum for barkley...

throw that out there and see what you get offered, you might be surprised at what people are willing to offer for them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Imo its pointless holding onto big names if you've only a small squad.
    Like GT said, you could easily get two really decent players for either Barkley or Coleman.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement