Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SoccerManager.com (#3) The Boards.ie World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Probably could have sold him and brought in a striker who scores.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Not really SM related but what do people make of Rooney and his new contract????

Personally as a Utd fan I think its utterly disgraceful and a sad day for football in general......

It causes so much damage to the club on so many levels, it rewards disloyalty..... It now sets a new benchmark whenever we negotiate for a top talent (people are quick to forget we are still heavily in debt)

I know other utd fans will think I'm crazy but when he retires and we look back on all of this in years to come this will be seen as a dark day for our club, I'm sure of that

Well there's two ways of looking at it..

Yes its a huge sum of money and Rooney probably isn't worth it. But you also have to consider what would happen if he didn't sign a new contract. It would send out a message that Utd can't keep their best player which in turn might deter other players from joining.

Rooney is by far Man utd best player and I guess they'd rather spend 300k (which they can easily afford) a week, instead of paying 40M + wages for a replacement. It also shows everyone that Man utd can compete with City for wages.
    Sure isn't Van Persie and like 250K? I think thats much worse than Rooney getting 300k. At least he will be still playing his best within 2/3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Not really SM related but what do people make of Rooney and his new contract????

Personally as a Utd fan I think its utterly disgraceful and a sad day for football in general......

It causes so much damage to the club on so many levels, it rewards disloyalty..... It now sets a new benchmark whenever we negotiate for a top talent (people are quick to forget we are still heavily in debt)

I know other utd fans will think I'm crazy but when he retires and we look back on all of this in years to come this will be seen as a dark day for our club, I'm sure of that

That is a huge chunk of transfer kitty they will not be able to spend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

Al Capwned wrote: »
    No way you can be sure of that mate.

There's a greater chance (imo) of him being revered as an absolute legend of the club. I think it's the highlight of the season so far.

Not a chance... the legend already left (Fergie) and he wanted rooney out, same as all the other Big D's he ousted throughout the years, and what had he to show for it...Success. Club is always bigger. this is second time rooney causes a stir and gets bumper contract. would love to hear fergies view on it.

either way,

with or without rooney united are on a downward slope.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭eireannBEAR

Im delighted at Utd's fall from grace,Who did moyes think he was firing that backroom staff and how did the club allow it!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

I personally think Moyes and Rooney deserve each other - but I am an Everton fan so I'm not biased at all :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Im delighted at Utd's fall from grace,Who did moyes think he was firing that backroom staff and how did the club allow it!!!

I'm assuming he wanted to stamp his authority on the club, his team, his staff, not Fergies - and look where it's got him :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Seen 2 posts he's been 'our best player'

Eh, a. Have you seen us this season??? Were not sure exactly setting the world alight and b. Januzaj

Seen 2 posts he's been 'our best player'

Eh, a. Have you seen us this season??? Were not sure exactly setting the world alight and b. Januzaj

But thats not down to Rooney is it?
    Thats down to Moyes playing tactical suicide.

BTW, still cant believe the united manager on SM was able to offer 300k / wk to Rooney?!

• Advertisement

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    But thats not down to Rooney is it?
    Thats down to Moyes playing tactical suicide.

True, inept tactics have played a part, yet Januzaj has still managed to shine through it all!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Rooney has been by far United's best player this season, don't know how anyone can argue with that.

And he's England's best player playing for an English team.

300k a week is nothing to United and the money men at the club wouldn't give it unless they know they will get it back and then some.

It's mental that someone gets paid 300k a week to kick a ball around but you and I still watch the game making it a multi billon dollar industry so it's fairly justified.

Van Persie is easily utds best januzaj has been exciting but let's see how he grows, wellbeck has been good this season but jones cleverly and fellaini are flops it just goes to show how bad they are when fletcher comes back from being out for 2 seasons and is already 1 of our top performers.

JamboMac wrote: »
    Van Persie is easily utds best januzaj has been exciting but let's see how he grows, wellbeck has been good this season but jones cleverly and fellaini are flops it just goes to show how bad they are when fletcher comes back from being out for 2 seasons and is already 1 of our top performers.

Van Persie has been out for most of the season so I don't know how he could be there best player.. Welbeck has been pretty pants imo.

Also I don't think you can call Fellaini a flop after only a few games.
    Rooney has covered so many positions for Utd this season its crazy.. Without him they'd be a lot further down the table.

Rooney has been by far United's best player this season, don't know how anyone can argue with that.

And he's England's best player playing for an English team.

300k a week is nothing to United and the money men at the club wouldn't give it unless they know they will get it back and then some.

It's mental that someone gets paid 300k a week to kick a ball around but you and I still watch the game making it a multi billon dollar industry so it's fairly justified.

I don't think he has been our best player, I'd say Januzaj has been the go to player this season and De Gea has been the standout performer IMO.... Hes consistently performed at a high level, I really don't care about the English national team to be honest so I couldn't tell you how he's been for them, I'd imagine he has been their beat player but in terms of his Utd contract it doesn't really come into it???

300k per week probably is nothing to them, true.... However what if in the Summer utd go in for say Draxler or someone, Initial talks on wages now for ANY TOP PLAYER will have sky rocketed....we've done long term damage here today....

Short sighted fans won't see this but trust me, for Man Utd and football in general its not a good step forward

Van Persie has been out for most of the season so I don't know how he could be there best player.. Welbeck has been pretty pants imo.

Also I don't think you can call Fellaini a flop after only a few games.
    Rooney has covered so many positions for Utd this season its crazy.. Without him they'd be a lot further down the table.

He said RVP IS our best player, not has been so far, and he most certainly is!!!!

I'd give Fellaini a chance too in fairness, but I don't agree we would be further down the table, if Rooney left he would have been replaced, that's what I wanted, not for him to just go and leave us short, I wanted a replacement for him, plenty out there too imo

Standout united player this season .....

Mata :p

And just to get myself back
    Newcastle United's best player of the season ......... nah sorry, you've got me there:confused:

Rooney played 19 and scored 9
    Van Persie played 14 and scored 10
    A striker to considered great ultimately has to be a goal scorer and the reason why he is played all over the place is because Rooney is behind Hernandez of putting away chances, he should be developed maybe as midfielder and have 2 strikers ahead of him. He is not worth that money coz 6 months time he'll be spitting the dummy about something again.

Short sighted fans won't see this but trust me, for Man Utd and football in general its not a good step forward
    but I don't agree we would be further down the table, if Rooney left he would have been replaced, that's what I wanted, not for him to just go and leave us short, I wanted a replacement for him, plenty out there too imo

Well answer me this.

What do you think of Van Persie being on 250K a week? Surely thats worse then Rooney since he only has a max 2 years at the top and thats only if he doesn't fall apart.

Also who would you have gotten to replace Rooney? You already have one of the best all round player in the world...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I don't think he has been our best player, I'd say Januzaj has been the go to player this season and De Gea has been the standout performer IMO.... Hes consistently performed at a high level, I really don't care about the English national team to be honest so I couldn't tell you how he's been for them, I'd imagine he has been their beat player but in terms of his Utd contract it doesn't really come into it???

300k per week probably is nothing to them, true.... However what if in the Summer utd go in for say Draxler or someone, Initial talks on wages now for ANY TOP PLAYER will have sky rocketed....we've done long term damage here today....

United pay just over 3 million a week on wages, they could add another million onto it, that is signing 4 world class players and paying them 300k, 300k, 250k, and 150k and still come off with a considerable profit at the end of the year.

United are a behemoth financially, and they only way a financial move could really damage the club in the long run is if they sign 10 players and pay them 300k a week which will never happen.

People are making way too much of this.

• Advertisement

Well answer me this.

What do you think of Van Persie being on 250K a week? Surely thats worse then Rooney since he only has a max 2 years at the top and thats only if he doesn't fall apart.

Also who would you have gotten to replace Rooney? You already have one of the best all round player in the world...

I think that RVP deserves his payday, after all he has not asked to leave the club I support...... Twice!!!!

Lewandowski, I believe that if we went big on him we could have got him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭The Governor

Lads I don't know what football you've all been watching :confused: No player at United has been a patch on Tom Cleverley this season imo.

He's superb, a real world beater. It's magic to watch him on the ball, an absolute joy. You don't know whether you'll get a Xavi style pin - point pass or a Ronaldo'esque solo run and score.

His dogged tackling would make even Roy Keane blush and his passing is so accurate and sweet it would make a Bishop weep :cool:

:pac:

United pay just over 3 million a week on wages, they could add another million onto it, that is signing 4 world class players and paying them 300k, 300k, 250k, and 150k and still come off with a considerable profit at the end of the year.

United are a behemoth financially, and they only way a financial move could really damage the club in the long run is if they sign 10 players and pay them 300k a week which will never happen.

People are making way too much of this.

Your missing the point, one player on 300k is manageable, we have RVP who will now be on 300kor gone and Mata who IMO is a more creative out and out player than Rooney.... This is just a new benchmark for top talent to aim for when they sit down to negotiate a move......

Its just the begining

JamboMac wrote: »
    Rooney played 19 and scored 9
    Van Persie played 14 and scored 10
    A striker to considered great ultimately has to be a goal scorer and the reason why he is played all over the place is because Rooney is behind Hernandez of putting away chances, he should be developed maybe as midfielder and have 2 strikers ahead of him. He is not worth that money coz 6 months time he'll be spitting the dummy about something again.

Finally!!! Sense!!!!

I think that RVP deserves his payday, after all he has not asked to leave the club I support...... Twice!!!!

But that makes no sense! :confused:
    You called some fans short sighted for being ok with the Rooney contract but you've no problem with Van Persie's..

You've got a player (in van persie) whose ridiculously injury prone and at the end of his career on 250K who'll probably 1-2 yrs max at top level. Van Persie *deserving* a 250K contract should be relevant when talking about finances.

You're paying only 50K extra for a player (Rooney) who can play multiple positions, is 3yrs younger and on his day unplayable.

I don't see the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭swoody

my thinking on this is that they probably still plan to sell rooney but now that he's on a long term contract, real/chelsea, whoever will now have to pay massive money to buy him out of the contract.... instead of the 20M or so he was worth on the old one.

Tupac,

There is another way to look at this ... it might attract bigger names to united now that they know they can match the big clubs in the wage dept.

Sometimes it does make sence to pay big money ... when Real bought Ronaldo ... it was rumoured that 'Ronaldo 7' shirt sales covered his transfer fee in the first year! :eek:

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    Tupac,

There is another way to look at this ... it might attract bigger names to united now that they know they can match the big clubs in the wage dept.

Sometimes it does make sence to pay big money ... when Real bought Ronaldo ... it was rumoured that 'Ronaldo 7' shirt sales covered his transfer fee in the first year! :eek:

Very good point!
    What utd are paying Rooney is nothing to them.. They are loaded.
    If they can pay Van Persie 250K they can pay Rooney 300k.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭swoody

TC23 will want 5K a week now.... instead of the minimum wage at united.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

swoody wrote: »
    TC23 will want 5K a week now.... instead of the minimum wage at united.

What is he on as a matter of interest?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement