Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SoccerManager.com (#3) The Boards.ie World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I've barcelona tonight in D2. Need to capitalise on their mediocre start to the season. Come in Damaio and Rossi, get me the goals!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭Munster Magic

No Neymar for me tonight away to Porto, hopefully I don't suffer a big beating

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭The Internet

So thiago and Sturridge go 91.... 2 pretty disgraceful decisions IMO....

Thiago - should have been AGES ago
    Sturbridge - he's in a run of form for 1 season...... Really that's a 91 now??

Sturridge has 18 goals already this season so there's nothing wrong with a +1, they could hardly have kept him on the same rating as Welbeck

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭eireannBEAR

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I've barcelona tonight in D2. Need to capitalise on their mediocre start to the season. Come in Damaio and Rossi, get me the goals!!

I hope its an away game,I see you havent left ukraine and reports suggest the russian flag is flying above the shakthar stadium....you have betrayed your country this forum and fellow manager ukymo of dynamo kiev....For shame beefy FOR SHAME!!. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Maldjd23

Sturridge has 18 goals already this season so there's nothing wrong with a +1, they could hardly have kept him on the same rating as Welbeck

Give Welbeck a -5 perhaps?:D

In all honesty i think he is well worth a +1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Out of the 2 who has more EPL medals??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Beefy78 wrote: »

Mediocre would be an improvement on the reality, tbh... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Well in that case Suarez should be 90/91 as well?

Bad arguement dude

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Newcastle at home tonight ...

After the SMFA invasion and extraxtion of my newly aquired 91 GK and my (at this stage well settled) young energetic 89 DR from my squad, I've had to revisit my priorities.

The team taking to the field tonight will not be what the fans expect but those same fans have said they understand the predicament the manager find himself in and they have full faith in his judgement.

FCP!

Well in that case Suarez should be 90/91 as well?

Bad arguement dude

Not really as Suarez more proves my point than contradicts it, he's won trophies with Ajax and indeed on the international stage...

Hes Earned his increases over a number of years,and by actually achieving things, various top scorer awards and club player of the year etc etc.....

Whereas Sturbridge I repeat is in a rich run of FORM....hes proved nothing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭danwhite88

From my little bit of research I've found that Sturridge and Welbeck have won just 1 Premier league medal each.

Sturridge won his in the 09/10 season with Chelsea when he made 13 appearances. (Players are required to have made 10 appearances in a club's first team to qualify for a medal.)

Welbeck won his only medal in the 12/13 season.

So your comment is not valid

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭eireannBEAR

danwhite88 wrote: »
    From my little bit of research I've found that Sturridge and Welbeck have won just 1 Premier league medal each.

Sturridge won his in the 09/10 season with Chelsea when he made 13 appearances. (Players are required to have made 10 appearances in a club's first team to qualify for a medal.)

You should post here more often. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

But really the only reason Welbeck hasn't had a +1 is because he's a little bit ****e..

Also how many medals a person has won shouldn't really have any huge effect on their rating. Sturridge deserves his +1 and if you look at his goals to game ratio he's on par with Torres's first season at Liverpool. 5ceDQlZ.jpg

OK.... 1 each.....

So why is it again that sturrige got a +1??? So let me get this right. If Welbeck goes on a run and Sturridge hits a ditch with his form Welbeckwill go +1 and Sturbridge -1...

Its just this info is handy to know when signing players as I had it set out to buy good young players that will hopefully achieve things rather than players of form....

If it is based on form then a hell of a lot more changes need to be made before the likes of Sturbridge deserves a 91....

So basically Sturbridge is as good as Thiago????

Really???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Not really as Suarez more proves my point than contradicts it, he's won trophies with Ajax and indeed on the international stage...

Hes Earned his increases over a number of years,and by actually achieving things, various top scorer awards and club player of the year etc etc.....

Whereas Sturbridge I repeat is in a rich run of FORM....hes proved nothing

Fair enough

But can you honestly say that Sturridge and Welbeck have ever been equal? Welbeck has flattered to decieve for the past few years whereas Sturridge is showing us all what he can do this season - in the last 15 months he has scored 28 goals 33 games, Welbeck is nowhere near that prolific

Sturridge is there to score goals, so yes, he's as good in his role as Thiago is in his

Fair enough

But can you honestly say that Sturridge and Welbeck have ever been equal? Welbeck has flattered to decieve for the past few years whereas Sturridge is showing us all what he can do this season - in the last 15 months he has scored 28 goals 33 games, Welbeck is nowhere near that prolific

Sturridge is there to score goals, so yes, he's as good in his role as Thiago is in his

I was not the one that brought welbeck into the argument, personally I think Welbeck is a lucky 90 but even luckier is Sturbridge a 91, he's nowhere near a 91 player...

You seriously think that Sturbridge is as good a striker as Thiago is a DMC/AMC.......

So basically Sturbridge is as good as Thiago????

Really???

Well.. wait what!! :confused:

They play different positions...
    Anyway Sturridge getting a +1 is simple down to him being one of the best Strikers in the league (Par Suarez and maybe Aguero).

Sure I don't see you complaining about Costa getting a 92*? Sure he went from 88* to 92* within 1 year! He's no different to Sturridge.

You seriously think that Sturbridge is as good a striker as Thiago is a DMC/AMC.......

But you can't compare to players that play totally different positions.. And to answer your question YES i do.

Sturridge has been more important to Liverpool than Thiago has been for Bayern.
    You could say that without Sturridge Liverpool wouldn't be anywhere near the position that they are now.

Sure Thiago missed a good chunk of the season at Bayern and they were fine without him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭The Internet

If Sturridge didn't play for Liverpool then I'm sure Tupac wouldn't have a problem with his rise.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

There's plenty of crazy ratings, the system is flawed but you won't get a perfect system when it comes to player ratings

• Advertisement

If Sturridge didn't play for Liverpool then I'm sure Tupac wouldn't have a problem with his rise.

Not the issue, I think Suarez deserves 95, So its not a Liverpool thing. I'm more concerned about the criteria they are using to award 90+.....

For me to go beyond 90 I would have assumed you would have to have achieved something at domestic or international level, and since he got his league winners medal at Chelsea why is it he didn't get 90 there????

That's what um trying to get to the bottom of, is it based on form because if a player that basically failed at City and Chelsea can turn it all around in the space of a season and a half and go to 91 never mind 90 actually 91!!!!! Then reevaluation of transfer policies is needed

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    But you can't compare to players that play totally different positions.. And to answer your question YES i do.

Sturridge has been more important to Liverpool than Thiago has been for Bayern.
    You could say that without Sturridge Liverpool wouldn't be anywhere near the position that they are now.

Sure Thiago missed a good chunk of the season at Bayern and they were fine without him.

I was asked to compare, normally I wouldn't....

But that's my point!I think your missing it!!!! Bayern are star studded with absolute quality and would steam roller Liverpool in a champions league game, therefore having a player like Sturridge on par with the likes of Bayern players shows he does not deserve it!!!!

Anyhow that's my opinion....

Others will disagree but come end of season when Liverpool qualify for Champions league and win NO trophies Sturridge will have accomplished nothing....

Well.. wait what!! :confused:

They play different positions...
    Anyway Sturridge getting a +1 is simple down to him being one of the best Strikers in the league (Par Suarez and maybe Aguero).

Sure I don't see you complaining about Costa getting a 92*? Sure he went from 88* to 92* within 1 year! He's no different to Sturridge.

Fair point about Costa, they should have waited till after the WC to increase him, won't argue that one.....

OK, how about this....maybe this will explain my position better....

Let's just say for argument sake that I had 30 mil and could buy Sturridge or Negredo.... Yesterday without hesitation I would have snapped up Negredo, better chance of winning the league and playing for a bigger club (argue that amongst yourselves)

Now today, suddenly none of that matters? Why is that??? That's the point I'm trying to get to, what criteria do we look at when signing players?

Is it form? Is it future? Please let's not get into a 'Liverpool are back and are going to win the league every season debate' when it comes to future, I'm talking realistic future, I.e. Sturridge ending up like Gerrard, 0 EPL medals at Liverpool

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Fair point about Costa, they should have waited till after the WC to increase him, won't argue that one.....

OK, how about this....maybe this will explain my position better....

Let's just say for argument sake that I had 30 mil and could buy Sturridge or Negredo.... Yesterday without hesitation I would have snapped up Negredo, better chance of winning the league and playing for a bigger club (argue that amongst yourselves)

Now today, suddenly none of that matters? Why is that??? That's the point I'm trying to get to, what criteria do we look at when signing players?

Is it form? Is it future? Please let's not get into a 'Liverpool are back and are going to win the league every season debate' when it comes to future, I'm talking realistic future, I.e. Sturridge ending up like Gerrard, 0 EPL medals at Liverpool

Negreda could yet be getting his +1 in the next coming days ;)

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    Negreda could yet be getting his +1 in the next coming days ;)

Well the way they are handing out +1s for basically nothing he should!

How a player will do in the future shouldn't have anything to do with their potential rating. IMO the rating system is mainly built on form and accomplishments.

Example: Negredo is currently playing for (on paper) the best team in the league and yet he's only scored 14 goals on 22 appearances. Now remember he's playing alongside Aguero,Nasri,Silva,Toure etc.. Now compare that to who Sturridge is playing with and the goals he's scored (18 goals in 18 appearances) you'll start to see why he got his increase.

But I do agree that the rating system is flawed.. Sure look at Firmino! (Apps)21 (Gls)11 (Assists)8 and thats with 10th place Hoffenheim.

How a player will do in the future shouldn't have anything to do with their potential rating. IMO the rating system is mainly built on form and accomplishments.

Example: Negredo is currently playing for (on paper) the best team in the league and yet he's only scored 14 goals on 22 appearances. Now remember he's playing alongside Aguero,Nasri,Silva,Toure etc.. Now compare that to who Sturridge is playing with and the goals he's scored (18 goals in 18 appearances) you'll start to see why he got his increase.

But I do agree that the rating system is flawed.. Sure look at Firmino! (Apps)21 (Gls)11 (Assists)8 and thats with 10th place Hoffenheim.

But it's not Negredo's fault he's playing alongside better players, lets not forget Sturridge once graced Man City and if he was up to it he'd still be there, but he's not. He's in good form but he's not of City quality...

Firmino proves my point even more! Playing for a worse team than Liverpool and doing the business, why is he not 91..... Because he's an 89 player IMO with the potential to go to 90, it can't be said there is 2 points difference between them, well not with a straight face anyhow......

But it's not Negredo's fault he's playing alongside better players, lets not forget Sturridge once graced Man City and if he was up to it he'd still be there, but he's not. He's in good form but he's not of City quality...

Ah you can't compare Sturridge of nearly 5 years ago to Present Sturridge. You also can't compare Man city of 5 years ago to the present team.

Point being that Negredo (While he's done very well) just doesn't compare to what Sturridge has done in a weaker team.

Ah you can't compare Sturridge of nearly 5 years ago to Present Sturridge. You also can't compare Man city of 5 years ago to the present team.

Point being that Negredo (While he's done very well) just doesn't compare to what Sturridge has done in a weaker team.

Why? Same player???same occupation? Same person?????

Why does Negreso's contribution to city not count? Did they not buy him to score goals and win things???? Same as Liverpool bought Sturridge, to score goals and win, well matches I suppose

• Advertisement

Why? Same player???same occupation? Same person?????

Why does Negreso's contribution to city not count? Did they not buy him to score goals and win things???? Same as Liverpool bought Sturridge, to score goals and win, well matches I suppose

Because you can't compare a player who's just starting out in his football career to what he's like 5/6 years later!! Sure if thats the case lets compare Walcott's first year at Arsenal to now.. Sure he's the "Same player???same occupation? Same person?????"
    The Sturridge from Man City and the Sturridge we have now are totally different players and you know that!.

And on Negredo.. I never said his contribution to Man City doesn't count. (I even said he's done great) I said:
    "Point being that Negredo (While he's done very well) just doesn't compare to what Sturridge has done in a weaker team."

Thats the last I'll say on this because you seem to be making up things that I haven't even said..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement