Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard drive enclosure with redundancy?

Options
  • 04-02-2014 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

After another external hard drive failure and loss of data I'm looking for some kind of enclosure that will take a few hard drives maybe up to 4TB with some redundancy so if a hard drive fails I will suffer no loss of data. I've a budget for about 300 including the hard drives

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance,

mada

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Did ya try g00gle?

Cannot see it happening for less than €300 however.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

You'll get the enclosure for about 80 - 180 but the drives won't be included. Here's a sample of what you could find.

Ken

Do you want direct attached storage (DAS) or network attached storage (NAS) ?

A DAS will plug in to your computer via USB and your computer will see it as an external HDD (or a bunch of HDDs depending) whereas a NAS plugs into your router and makes itself available to devices on your network.

It's also worth noting that redundancy is not the same as a backup. So you've got a bunch of drives in an array with single-disk redundancy - great, it protects against a single drive failure .But what happens if your kid knocks the whole thing off the desk? Or the hardware fails and corrupts all the data?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

...what happens if your kid knocks the whole thing off the desk? Or the hardware fails and corrupts all the data?

Buy two!!...lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭mada999

Did ya try g00gle?

Cannot see it happening for less than €300 however.

indeed'n I did, but I was throwing it out there for recommendations?! thanks for your help

• Advertisement

Do you want direct attached storage (DAS) or network attached storage (NAS) ?

A DAS will plug in to your computer via USB and your computer will see it as an external HDD (or a bunch of HDDs depending) whereas a NAS plugs into your router and makes itself available to devices on your network.

It's also worth noting that redundancy is not the same as a backup. So you've got a bunch of drives in an array with single-disk redundancy - great, it protects against a single drive failure .But what happens if your kid knocks the whole thing off the desk? Or the hardware fails and corrupts all the data?

Thanks for this, doesn't really need to be networked to be honest. I've about 100GB worth of files that I need to keep hold off. I've another 3TB of DATA that I can afford to lose.

I suppose I'm just trying to figure out the easiest way to secure this 100GB of data and the rest is bonus.

You're looking for a backup in that case.

You can get enclosures that'll allow you put two drives in RAID 1 (or more indeed) but like I said, there's any number of ways other that you can lose your data other than a HDD failure.

That's not to discount redundancy, it's extremely useful and exists for a reason. But if you want your data protected it needs to be somewhere else as well.

Two drives stored in separate locations and sync'd as often as necessary is a simple backup. Or a backup in the cloud. Or a couple of burnt BD-50s. 100GB is pretty easy to manage these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Synology have a good line of NAS with RAID, I have a 2 bay one.

cheers folks :)

Advertisement