Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Exemption

Options
  • 04-02-2014 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Im currently in secound year and completly dont understand irish, in my summer test i literlaly got 1%. I am not irish , i looked up on google if i could get an Irish exemption and found out that i could probably get a NUI exemption but not a D.O.E. exemption. But there is one more thing, In 6th class we didnt do irish. And that wasent just some people, the teacher simply didnt teach anyone irish. About 3/4 of the school year later, my teacher became the principal and we got annother teacher for the rest of the year.
    Would this exuse be enough to get a D.O.E exemption?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭FifaPlaya

Im currently in secound year and completly dont understand irish, in my summer test i literlaly got 1%. I am not irish , i looked up on google if i could get an Irish exemption and found out that i could probably get a NUI exemption but not a D.O.E. exemption. But there is one more thing, In 6th class we didnt do irish. And that wasent just some people, the teacher simply didnt teach anyone irish. About 3/4 of the school year later, my teacher became the principal and we got annother teacher for the rest of the year.
    Would this exuse be enough to get a D.O.E exemption?

Unfortunately you have to have a learning problem diagnosed such as dyslexia

• Registered Users Posts: 1 LaurenMC14

So i'm in 2nd year and for some stupid reason i'm in higher irish. I can barely put two words together in irish. I was born in london and hadnt heard of irish until i moved to ireland when i was 9. i missed out on learning all the basics of irish and no one taught me them so i was stuck not knowing anything and being extremely confused for most of primary school. then when i entered secondary i had to do irish no question asked. we had a good enough teacher in the beginning and i learned a small bit of irish but then she went on maternity leave and we got a new teacher who spoke donegal irish so i couldnt understand a word she said. then she gave us the end of year test and i got 60 because it was easy enough. now im in higher because of the grade i got. the old teacher is back now giving us junior cert level stuff to learn and i can barely tell you where i live in irish. i sit in lessons trying to learn the things she tell us, i take it all down but none of it makes sense. I am not planning to go to college her in ireland so the whole you need irish thing doesnt apply to me. i NEED a D.O.E exemption from irish because otherwise all my time will be spent attempting to learn this language i dont understand and it will bring my junior cert grades down on subjects that could actually get me a job in the future. does anyone think i could get one?

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭UnknownEntity

Guys, if you weren't born in Ireland, you can get exempt for LEAVING CERT IRISH. Sadly, if you attend a DOE school this won't apply to you but if you go to schools that are privately run you can get an NUI exemption. I'm in a DOE school right now but next year I'm going to the Institute of Education (privately run) and during my interview with them, they told me that I'd be exempt from Irish and I wouldn't have to worry about getting accepted into colleges either.

I don't mind doing Irish because I usually get an A in it but I'd much rather do another subject instead of it. If you're really considering leaving Irish your only choice is to go to a privately run school. Hope I've helped.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

LaurenMC14 wrote: »
    So i'm in 2nd year and for some stupid reason i'm in higher irish. I can barely put two words together in irish. I was born in london and hadnt heard of irish until i moved to ireland when i was 9. i missed out on learning all the basics of irish and no one taught me them so i was stuck not knowing anything and being extremely confused for most of primary school. then when i entered secondary i had to do irish no question asked. we had a good enough teacher in the beginning and i learned a small bit of irish but then she went on maternity leave and we got a new teacher who spoke donegal irish so i couldnt understand a word she said. then she gave us the end of year test and i got 60 because it was easy enough. now im in higher because of the grade i got. the old teacher is back now giving us junior cert level stuff to learn and i can barely tell you where i live in irish. i sit in lessons trying to learn the things she tell us, i take it all down but none of it makes sense. I am not planning to go to college her in ireland so the whole you need irish thing doesnt apply to me. i NEED a D.O.E exemption from irish because otherwise all my time will be spent attempting to learn this language i dont understand and it will bring my junior cert grades down on subjects that could actually get me a job in the future. does anyone think i could get one?

You will only get a DOE exemption if you have a condition like dyslexia. Nothing says you have to sit the exam however. If it bothers you that much, just don't go in for the exam. Since you were born outside the State you qualify for an NUI exemption. It very much depends what course you want to do as to whether being in Irish class will affect you at all. Make sure you check out any residency requirements for the country you think you might attend college in.

Many people who have a Department exemption still have to sit in the back of the Irish class doing their own work as with the cutbacks schools cannot make another class for them, so even if you managed to get one, it might not change your situation.

Advertisement