Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should we get rid of The River Lee?

Options
  • 04-02-2014 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭theglobe

Why dont we try and close up the river and redirect the water elsewhere? It's causing serious problems year after year.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

where would all the water that flows into the river go

it would flood cork

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,908 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

theglobe wrote: »
    Why dont we try and close up the river and redirect the water elsewhere? It's causing serious problems year after year.

Not very well thought out:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I don't think you have quite understand how it works.

Also, a Cork without the River Lee is like a sky without stars. Its just wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Cataleya Polite U-boat

theglobe wrote: »

or they could dredge it or install some kind of flood barrier system....... you know realistic options

• Registered Users Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Itd be easier to move the city.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

or they could dredge it or install some kind of flood barrier system....... you know realistic options

Exactly - rather than handing out sandbags - when the water is coming into buildings through the plumbing in a lot of cases.

Anything would be better than the present non existing system.

Reminds me of the Fr.Ted episode where the only solution to a problem was to have a mass!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

No no, let's just get rid of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭theglobe

Good to see some support for it here. I'll set up a facebook petition tomorrow and link it here. Thanks for all the support.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Where's the plug ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Divert it thru' Limerick.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭theglobe

What we need to do is put a cork in it and remove the cork. In all honesty though, is there a more disrespected river in Ireland? When I see tourists take pictures of it I always have a little chuckle to myself.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Where would we sport and play ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Apparently flood barriers still won't solve the problem in Cork.
    It requires a tidal barrier if I understood correctly.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=88279022&postcount=45

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

or they could dredge it

We used to for years, the Ringacoltig did a great job daily dredging the lower river, wonder why they stopped, terrible idea

13123.jpg

Todays problems would be much less if it was still running

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

"By the banks of my own lovely sort-of-Wadi-thing-where-the-Lee-used-to-be"... no, not gonna fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭Markcheese

They still dredge it, well they were doing it a few years ago,
    They need to dredge the top of the river though , the river bed never floods ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

While ye are at it get rid if cork too

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,908 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Go backtoyourfarm

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Rega

If cork what?

If cork and Kilkenny had a fight who would win

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

If cork and Kilkenny had a fight who would win

Limerick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

Divert it into Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭FHB

I say we outsource the river to India.

Sell some it to Dublin like they want to do with the Shannon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

How about getting rid of Cork by allowing the Lee to flood? Cork is slowly dipping into the sea anyway....

How about getting rid of Cork by allowing the Lee to flood? Cork is slowly dipping into the sea anyway....

Lets practice with dublin first.....start small like.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭daedal

I reckon we should just submerge Cork and build a hydroelectric dam to power Limerick.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭Tommy Dillon

I think this is God trying to tell you something... maybe stop being a bunch of arrogant, whinging, jealous shower of langers. you will never be the capital and thats that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

This is going to end well:pac: As a Tipp man I feel bad for the store owners and effected housing owners for the damage they suffer each time the Lee does burst it's banks. It's not their fault, more things should be put in place to prevent the severity of flooding not just in Cork but Ireland as a whole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Divert the river all the way to Bantry Bay, that should solve the problem. :D

Advertisement