Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

4G on iPhone 5S- Is it live now?

• 04-02-2014 11:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭

Is 4G live in Dublin and other areas now for iPhones?

What kind of speeds are people getting?

Also is there any cost for using 4G instead of 3G?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

which company

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

Oh yea, Vodafone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

bill pay should be available in Dublin

pre-pay 4G mobile broadband technology will not be available until late 2014

Dublin, Kilkenny, Cork, Galway, Waterford, Limerick

you have to get 4g sim card

bill pay should be available in Dublin

pre-pay 4G mobile broadband technology will not be available until late 2014

Dublin, Kilkenny, Cork, Galway, Waterford, Limerick

you have to get 4g sim card

And does it coming in automatically?

I think I saw that 3 are charging after a few months to use the 4G network... possibly to fund a company name change to 4?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

72hundred wrote: »
    And does it coming in automatically?

I think I saw that 3 are charging after a few months to use the 4G network... possibly to fund a company name change to 4?

I'm with Three, didn't need to change my simcard. Three pushed a settings update that I installed and viola, speeds of 25mb in 4g areas.

• Advertisement

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    I'm with Three, didn't need to change my simcard. Three pushed a settings update that I installed and viola, speeds of 25mb in 4g areas.

Put is there €5 to pay in a few months?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

I've used it a few times on eMobile iPhone 5. Getting over 40mb DL. Didn't change my sim or anything on the account.

guil wrote: »
    I've used it a few times on eMobile iPhone 5. Getting over 40mb DL. Didn't change my sim or anything on the account.

What did you use to check the speeds? The speedtest app?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭wush06

I am on Vodafone and it works a treat in 4g areas. I did not get a new sim card it just came on. I also think you must be on a certain plan go look at there site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,907 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

I'm using it on Vodafone. Speeds are good in Killarney (maybe 15-25mb) but not 10x what 3G is, even though I know they say "up to". I would check the speeds more often but it uses up quite a bit of data.

I'm getting speeds of 2200kbps today on 4G in Dublin on speedtest. :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

I did a speedtest in Wexford town I got 64 meg down 14 up. I'm on 3 using an S4. I didn't need to change sim cards just had to do a software update.

Recheck again this morning with 3/5 signal bars on iPhone 5S and got 4177 kB/s download and 1430 kB/s upload. These really are incredible speeds.

EDIT: Ping was 46

The speeds are great but it would be great if Vodafone gave greater data allowances for the €60 plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Aodhagan wrote: »
    The speeds are great but it would be great if Vodafone gave greater data allowances for the €60 plan.

Unlimited with 3. I can't see the point in operators offering lightning fast speeds and then imposing ridiculous caps. It was the main reason I left Vodafone.

jca wrote: »
    Unlimited with 3. I can't see the point in operators offering lightning fast speeds and then imposing ridiculous caps. It was the main reason I left Vodafone.

Yep it's a pity I'm tied into a contract. Vodafone chiefs have said unlimited definitely isn't on the way. The meteor ad with the guy streaming video on the beach for hours won't make much sense if they don't offer unlimited from March 1st.

Getting pretty decent speeds outside Cork city just now

I would have to argee with you. 2Gb isn't that much at all when the speeds are taken into account. Having said that I rarely reach my 2Gb limit as I'm usually at home / work on wifi when I do most heavy browsing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭kaerobe

Getting pretty decent speeds outside Cork city just now

My best download speed was 43.72Mbps by Marymount and best upload was 18.76Mbps by Parnell Place. All using iPhone 5 and emoblies 24€ sim free plan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mfield

Does it come up as 4G on a 5s with Vodafone? Not sure if I'm getting 4G. Did a speedtest and got 20Mbps download in Dublin but it didn't list as 4G, still says 3G.

mfield wrote: »
    Does it come up as 4G on a 5s with Vodafone? Not sure if I'm getting 4G. Did a speedtest and got 20Mbps download in Dublin but it didn't list as 4G, still says 3G.

Comes up as 4G. You can get up to 21mbps on 3G with HSPA+

Advertisement