Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nickel allergy

Options
  • 04-02-2014 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi all,

Apologies if this has already been answered. So I have an appointment for my first tattoo in 2 weeks. It may sound daft but I often forget that I have a very aggressive nickel allergy and am now wondering if it's safe for me to get a tattoo? The reason I forget is that it seems to be isolated to just my ear-lobes, because I can wear cheap necklaces, rings and bracelets with no problems, but if I put in an earring, count to three and take it out, I will have a nasty allergic reaction. So naturally I have stopped wearing earrings, so tend to forget about it.

I googled "does tattoo ink contain nickel" which brought back very mixed results from multiple reliable sources. I emailed the tattoo shop where my appointment is, asking if they use inks with nickel. Their response was basically "erm, I dunno, google it". Very unimpressive! This is a shop with a great reputation and high prices.

So my question is, does anyone here have a nickel allergy and have found that getting tattoos is safe? My tattoo is very colourful, not just greys, and my appt is with wildcat.

Thanks everyone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Go in and talk to the artist. Poor response from whoever answered the email but chances are that they don't actually know. The artist should know the ink that they use and what it's ingredients are

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

I think it's a long time since any metals have been used in tattoo inks, I'm nearly certain they are all vegetable based now.

Saying that I totally agree with the above poster, if you go in and have a chat to the tattooer they should be able to clarify this for you, failing them knowing exactly what's in the ink they might give you the brand name and you can contact the company directly.

I thought your concern was going to be if there may be nickel in the needle, which would concern me. Though again I think it's highly unlikely.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Wildcat Jervis should know - I think they supply a lot of the inks and equipment to other artists around the place.

I too have a nickel allergy - I wouldn't be able to wear "cheap" earrings, and I've not been affected by tattoo ink but every person is different.

I'm sure you could email the likes of Eternal Ink and Fusion Ink too, they'd tell you definitively.

ETA - maybe get a reeeeally small dot of ink tattooed on you and see how you react?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I get a really bad contact dermatitis from nickel, so bad that my first set of earrings at age seven had to be scalpeled out when the skin grew over the backs.

I can't wear any jewellery unless it is titanium, surgical steel or niobium. I even have to paint the back of rivets in jeans with clear nail varnish, and I have to use barrier cream if I will be working a till because of the coins. I also have to be careful with hair clips.

You should be fine. I have never been known to heal quickly, but in the long term my tattoos settle grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 hurricanelungs

I have the same problem and as a rule, can't get piercings. But I have 8 tattoos, all healed just fine! Different inks contain different things, but if you go into a well established, respected tattooist they should have no problem listing out any and all equipment that may cause a reaction.

Colour and white inks tend to take longer to heal and may cause reactions as the skin is more likely to try and reject it, so bear that in mind.

Also, the needles used in tattooing are generally surgical steel, again to avoid causing allergic reactions.

But again, sit down and have a chat with a tattooist, they will be able to tell you more :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Meelah

I get a really bad contact dermatitis from nickel, so bad that my first set of earrings at age seven had to be scalpeled out when the skin grew over the backs.

Aaaiiiii!! :eek:

Well, got the tattoo just under two weeks ago now and no sign of a flare-up and it's healing well. Guess I'm in the clear! Thanks everyone for the advice.

Advertisement