Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beyond Noob seeking advice

Options
  • 05-02-2014 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

I've want to set up a cheap web site about a small hobby in Ireland and have no significant knowledge. When I saw the term MYSQL, I expected to see a story about some ones Squirrel...

I know I have to select a web hosting service and secure domains at the start but am struggling to understand how to create a website.

1) Can I buy multiple domain names (xxx.com, XYZ.ie, etc...) and have them all point to my web site?

2) Website creator: I've tried Joomla and got lost in the first 3 minutes of the online tutorial. When I tried the on-line demo, I could not get past the "you have to select a template" when I wanted to start with a blank page. I found I could work with the free "Kompozer" software but it is tedious and tenuous. What is the easiest to work with and understandable?

3) What are "One-click installs"??

I'd love to reference one webhost's site and show the 25% of the package details terminology, and more, that I have no idea what they mean... but I need to learn what they mean.

I would greatly appreciate any advice you could provide and any links to easy to understand tutorials. Think 70 year old man/women trying to figure out how their first smartphone...

After I pay for hosting and domains, where does a web dummy go from there?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

If you're a noob, it's probably easier for you to pick a solution that does all/most of that for you.

The guys in the "Security Now" podcast / "This Week in Tech" used to have SquareSpace as a show sponsor with a discount code of something like 10-20%.
    I think you get a "free" domain name and hosting too, so it's a one stop shop.

SquareSpace pricing ... looks like $8 a month for personal sites, so under €6 a month.

A template is a pre-defined website/webpage that you can start with immediately, as opposed to designing something from scratch.
    Eg. if you had a food recipe site, there might be a food recipe template there, with a list of recipes on the left, a food themed background image and a paper looking menu/scroll in the middle where you put your instructions for each recipe.

Regarding multiple domains pointing to the one address, yeah you can do that. Not sure if SquareSpace can accommodate you there or whether you need to go to a domain registry site and just start adding more to point to your site.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Sorry guys, but web hosting isn't a topic for discussion in here (see the charter).
    This forum might be of use though...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement