Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Croke Park is paid for

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Clareman wrote: »
    The GAA aren't going to put any money into developing any stadiums until the decision is made on the Rugby World Cup, then they'll get money from the government and the IRFU to do up the grounds selected. In my opinion, having Croke Park paid for is a credit to the organisation, but in fairness they have a monopoly in Ireland in regards to a venue, the Aviva isn't getting a look in for concerts or any big events, so if it wasn't paid for there would be something seriously wrong. Saying that, it's a credit to the GAA that the ground is in use for often, from pretty much May till September it's in use every week, there aren't many national stadiums that can say that, I would say it would be in use all year round if needed.

In regards to giving money to counties, the GAA already do this but they don't just throw money at the counties, the counties have to come up with a plan with what they are going to do and then submit looking for grants. Also, some of the grounds are a credit to the GAA, around Clare alone there's the Gaelic Grounds, Salthill and Thurles, I would say you would struggle to find a location in Ireland without 3 top class GAA grounds within 100 miles

Fair point and no doubt they will be looking for the government to throw a lot of cash towards upgrading a stadium or two. Casement and PUC are being done up but they will want more than that.

I really hope Navan can get upgraded to a 30k stadium. Could be used as part of the Rugby WC plans but I'm more thinking about the 40k stadium the GAA were talking about building in West Dublin. Why not just build that in Navan instead. Kill 2 birds with the one stone. The Dubs can play out of croker and meath won't have to worry about hosting big games at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    I seriously hope Nowlan park getting upgraded to 40k is a joke. They get around 8k for home league games for the opening championship match against offaly around 12k were in attendance. Granted a big qualifier or league final can get 25k, I would give 30k as the absolute maximum that ground should ever be made to hold.

Nowlan at 40k is a great idea,It's Leinster's second city so they should try host as many games there as possible,Plus Dublin's early football games

• Registered Users Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭blue note

I seriously hope Nowlan park getting upgraded to 40k is a joke. They get around 8k for home league games for the opening championship match against offaly around 12k were in attendance. Granted a big qualifier or league final can get 25k, I would give 30k as the absolute maximum that ground should ever be made to hold.

It's for Bruce Springsteen and Shania Twain. And so the county board can be proud of their big stadium regardless of whether or not it's ever needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Prop Joe wrote: »
    Nowlan at 40k is a great idea,It's Leinster's second city so they should try host as many games there as possible,Plus Dublin's early football games

Bray and Navan both have bigger populations than Kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

iDave wrote: »

Granted but Kilkenny is still Leinster's second city

Prop Joe wrote: »
    Granted but Kilkenny is still Leinster's second city

Medieval city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,620 ✭✭✭eigrod

Is it possible to see a list of full time Games Development Administrators/Officers that each County has anywhere ?

Would make very interesting reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭purplepanda

iDave wrote: »

Bray & Navan are close to Croke Park & Portlaoise.

It's south Leinster than needs a bigger stadium for games IMO. Kilkenny is ideally located central to neighbouring counties in South & Central Leinster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭flutered

K-9 wrote: »
    Bumper GAA year clears Croke Park debt - RTÉ Sport

Money that was spent on debt repayments should now funnel down to the grass roots and provincial ground improvements.

ha, ha, so santy exists, there will be many ways found to stop that happening.

• Advertisement

Bray & Navan are close to Croke Park & Portlaoise.

It's south Leinster than needs a bigger stadium for games IMO. Kilkenny is ideally located central to neighbouring counties in South & Central Leinster.

The bigger support base is up north leinster with meath/kildare/dublin and louth if they ever get a good run (aka 2010).

The GAA were talking of building a 30/40k stadium in west dublin for that reason so i'm saying when not just build that stadium in navan. kill 2 birds with the one stone.

now obviously i'd expect meath gaa to cough up a fair few million and if they did it right the government could pay for a decent share of it if it was built into the rugby world cup plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭purplepanda

The bigger support base is up north leinster with meath/kildare/dublin and louth if they ever get a good run (aka 2010).

The GAA were talking of building a 30/40k stadium in west dublin for that reason so i'm saying when not just build that stadium in navan. kill 2 birds with the one stone.

If Munster can have four 40K & above capacity stadiums, with Cork getting substantial cash for their rebuild, there's no reason Leinster shouldn't build 2 similar sized venues, one in the north & one in the south of the province.

Nowlan Park being expanded further would be the cheapest project to start with & attract many games for Hurling & Football. Although not so accessible for some north Leinster counties.

If Munster can have four 40K & above capacity stadiums, with Cork getting substantial cash for their rebuild, there's no reason Leinster shouldn't build 2 similar sized venues, one in the north & one in the south of the province.

Nowlan Park being expanded further would be the cheapest project to start with & attract many games for Hurling & Football. Although not so accessible for some north Leinster counties.

Well said. Munster wasted money on stadiums it doesn't need, so Leinster should too.

Leinster have Wexford Park 26k, Nowlan Park 25k, Portlaoise 25k, Tullamore 22k, Croke Park for the Dubs. Kildare, Navan, Louth and Wicklow are the counties who need various upgrades. Not all big and I'd say one 30k stadium, one 20k, and two 10k. Some only need partial upgrades like a new stand or whatever.

Advertisement