Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal Gear Solid 5 (Ground Zeros] ....completed in 2 HOURS!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

I doubt storage space was a huge issue. If it was they'd have cut down on the hours of recorded audio scenes in the game.

You've seen most of what the plant section has to offer in the first 40 minutes or so before you start the bomb disposal mission. It's all very samey after that point. The Ames mission was really dull. So was the sniper bit on the connecting bridge. So was the nikita bit with the president. Only good bits were in Arsenal Gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

Burky126 wrote: »
    It has the exact same gameplay as MGS except it had added features which included a much needed improvement to first person. Was that in itself what you found to be the problem or was it certain sections in the game? Bosses?

My only gripe with the gameplay was the Emma sections of the game. Navigating through the underwater sections made me quit the game on my first run through. Also had a problem with the Fatman boss.Good idea,bad execution.

Sweet Jesus you just reminded me of that Fatman boss, that was the most frustrating thing of all time. I couldn't figure out why that gadget you were supposed to be using during the fight would only work sporadically. Turns out the PS3 (I played the HD collection) has these pressure sensitive buttons that I didn't know about, and you had to push them all the way in for that gadget to work. I had some serious nerd rage playing that boss battle. That was the first instance that I stopped having fun.

Then we had underwater sections, never a good idea. Sniping claymores (give me strength) The back and forth between Jack and Rose, fetch quests which force you to trudge through the same locations multiple times, and the final battle against 3 Metal Gears was where I quit again. I didn't have a clue whether or not I was doing any damage to them. And oh yeah, that ending.

So no, not my favorite MG game.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Burky126

snausages wrote: »
    I doubt storage space was a huge issue. If it was they'd have cut down on the hours of recorded audio scenes in the game.

You've seen most of what the plant section has to offer in the first 40 minutes or so before you start the bomb disposal mission. It's all very samey after that point. The Ames mission was really dull. So was the sniper bit on the connecting bridge. So was the nikita bit with the president. Only good bits were in Arsenal Gear.

The audio issue is a fair point but even if there was less dialogue,I doubt the level design would of been influenced to change.

Each part was intended so that you learned a new part of the mechanics e.g the coolant to disarm bombs. I guess with hindsight,this part of the game would have been approached differently now but this time was used so that you could fully master the controls and explore different methods to the gameplay on how to take out guards etc.It was breathing room so that later,you could get to the bomb in Strut A with ease.

The Ames bit had you at least dress up as one of the guards and you could get revenge which is a catharsis of anyone who plays Metal Gear. The sniper bit was a break from walking around with Emma were you could just shoot everything around you and the Nikita offered the chance to play around with the homing missle in the game. Hardly dull gameplay moments.

• Play peace walker! Man I'm so helplessly addicted this weekend it's brilliant.

Burky126 wrote: »
    The audio issue is a fair point but even if there was less dialogue,I doubt the level design would of been influenced to change.

Each part was intended so that you learned a new part of the mechanics e.g the coolant to disarm bombs. I guess with hindsight,this part of the game would have been approached differently now but this time was used so that you could fully master the controls and explore different methods to the gameplay on how to take out guards etc.It was breathing room so that later,you could get to the bomb in Strut A with ease.

The Ames bit had you at least dress up as one of the guards and you could get revenge which is a catharsis of anyone who plays Metal Gear. The sniper bit was a break from walking around with Emma were you could just shoot everything around you and the Nikita offered the chance to play around with the homing missle in the game. Hardly dull gameplay moments.
    They really are dull moments though. The nikita wasn't fun in MGS1 and it wasn't fun in 2 either. The sniping section can just be skipped entirely by calling Snake, which is a bit odd. The dress-up bit was crap (cathartic? what?), so was the one in Snake Eater.

Sons of Liberty is badly paced and plodding.

• Advertisement

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Play peace walker! Man I'm so helplessly addicted this weekend it's brilliant.

I should play Peace Walker. I have it and everything on the HD collection, and it ties in with The Phantom Pain which I am most looking forward to. But I just can't get into the right state of mind to start it.

Everyone says its great though.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Burky126

They really are dull moments though. The nikita wasn't fun in MGS1 and it wasn't fun in 2 either. The sniping section can just be skipped entirely by calling Snake, which is a bit odd. The dress-up bit was crap (cathartic? what?), so was the one in Snake Eater.

Sons of Liberty is badly paced and plodding.

I can understand why they included Snake at that part as repeated attempts at fighting off enemies while getting the claymores on harder difficulties can be a pain which at that point, you need the assistance.

Not everyone might be strong with the sniper rifle, as there are few times the sniper rifle is required to progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I picked this up for my ps4 today, just finished the main mission and I enjoyed it. It looks fantastic, the gameplay is good fun.
    My only complaint is Kiefer Sutherland, his voice is just wrong. Fortunately he doesn't speak much, although I imagine this will change in the phantom pain.

If you watch the red band E3 trailer, you can hear a bit more of the voice acting. I think Sutherland is decent as Big Boss (from what I've seen). The rugged voice fits well with Big Boss' character.

I feel bad for him because he's going to get **** for replacing Hayter regardless how good he is.

Hayter said in a interview a while ago regarding the change of voice actors "I remain Snake in the same way that Connery remains Bond"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

If you watch the red band E3 trailer, you can hear a bit more of the voice acting. I think Sutherland is decent as Big Boss (from what I've seen). The rugged voice fits well with Big Boss' character.

I feel bad for him because he's going to get **** for replacing Hayter regardless how good he is.

Hayter said in a interview a while ago regarding the change of voice actors "I remain Snake in the same way that Connery remains Bond"

Hayters taken it like a bitch tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

I really enjoyed mgsv its one of my favs of the series the online was great. The boss battles in snake eater were by far the best imo, the sniper battle with the end took my fecking days to do.Peace walker is brilliant. Sons of liberity god i remember when i played the demo of it, raiden the tool ruined it for me ha still a great game.. The first metal gear on the ps1 is always my beat.

Now the phanthom pain... I liked it but but it asks more questions for me than answered. Good controls graphics and ai . I agree found the camera clutzy at times looking around corners and in cover. Annoying the lack(removel) of stealth controls knocking,dumping bodies in bins/lockers.... Sutherlands voice is dull i reckon he's a waste of money even Doyle (bosses original voice in mgsv) would have worked better imo, there removing the amout of cut scenes yet hire a costly actor?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Mods move this if it's in the wrong forum

I found all 9 XOF patches during a replay but I didn't complete ground zeros mission again (called a chopper)

Stats say I have 9/9 patches but there's still a ??? mission

How do I unlock the last mission? Do I need to complete ground zeros again? Cleared it on normal just the once

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Skeleton XIII

Tuco88 wrote: »
    I really enjoyed mgsv its one of my favs of the series the online was great. The boss battles in snake eater were by far the best imo, the sniper battle with the end took my fecking days to do.Peace walker is brilliant. Sons of liberity god i remember when i played the demo of it, raiden the tool ruined it for me ha still a great game.. The first metal gear on the ps1 is always my beat.

Now the phanthom pain... I liked it but but it asks more questions for me than answered. Good controls graphics and ai . I agree found the camera clutzy at times looking around corners and in cover. Annoying the lack(removel) of stealth controls knocking,dumping bodies in bins/lockers.... Sutherlands voice is dull i reckon he's a waste of money even Doyle (bosses original voice in mgsv) would have worked better imo, there removing the amout of cut scenes yet hire a costly actor?

I had my reservations about Kiefer Sutherland, but he's not bad.
    It doesn't really bother me all that much that neither Doyle or Hayter are doing the voice this time, but I hope it's not the last of Hayters Snake.
    That voice is Metal Gear to me and nothing will change that.

It's kind of hard to form any opinion about the new voice when Snake only has a handful of lines. There's barely any dialogue by him in GZ and there's no codec either, just radio tips.

Also I'm a bit bored by Hayter now tbh. I'm not fond of the way they re-use the same voice-actors for character's relations (Huey and Otacon for example).

Mods move this if it's in the wrong forum

I found all 9 XOF patches during a replay but I didn't complete ground zeros mission again (called a chopper)

Stats say I have 9/9 patches but there's still a ??? mission

How do I unlock the last mission? Do I need to complete ground zeros again? Cleared it on normal just the once

Have you cleared all the side ops?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Have you cleared all the side ops?

Actually, no, there's one I didn't do! Couldn't find the 2nd enemy and gave up for now. I'll go back to it and see was that it

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

I had my reservations about Kiefer Sutherland, but he's not bad.
    It doesn't really bother me all that much that neither Doyle or Hayter are doing the voice this time, but I hope it's not the last of Hayters Snake.
    That voice is Metal Gear to me and nothing will change that.

I agree... Maybe it will blend in better in the PP. Lets hope Hayter will return as sold snake, but i wouldn't hold out on it he looks pretty passed at the whole thing to be a set up.

Tuco88 wrote: »
    I agree... Maybe it will blend in better in the PP. Lets hope Hayter will return as sold snake, but i wouldn't hold out on it he looks pretty passed at the whole thing to be a set up.

Exactly what Kojima wants us to think! :eek:

I predict Hayter will appear in PP in some form or other.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Well I have not been disappointed.

I've easily put in about 10 hours into the game and I've only 40% completion of it and haven't unlocked the secret mission yet.

Can't wait to hear more on The Phantom pain.

One thing I really don't like though is that when an enemy sees you and you fail to neutralize him, it will go straight into alert status. I'm assuming this is due to the new slow motion feature but I feel thats a step backwards.

tok9 wrote: »
    Well I have not been disappointed.

I've easily put in about 10 hours into the game and I've only 40% completion of it and haven't unlocked the secret mission yet.

Can't wait to hear more on The Phantom pain.

One thing I really don't like though is that when an enemy sees you and you fail to neutralize him, it will go straight into alert status. I'm assuming this is due to the new slow motion feature but I feel thats a step backwards.

I agree! I'm still playing this and I'm only 38% completed I think. Easily played a lot more than 10 hours (is there any way to check that by the way? How many hours you've spent on a game on PS4?)

Have the extra mission unlocked but not completed yet. I think I spent more time on the first side ops to be honest, so many different ways to approach it, spent hours figuring out the best path to take to eliminate those two dudes. Got my S rank in the end :D

Not sure what you mean about the guards alert status, if they see you, then you're caught, same as in previous MGS titles. What else would you expect to happen? You do have the option to turn off the slow-mo reaction btw.

• Advertisement

Since MGS2 guards would have to phone in that they saw you before full alert happens. Which was a really really cool detail even by today's standards. Slow motion is one of the worst additions to Ground Zeroes, along with regen health and that ridiculous thing where you spray your abs better. Everything else is gravy.

Since MGS2 guards would have to phone in that they saw you before full alert happens. Which was a really really cool detail even by today's standards. Slow motion is one of the worst additions to Ground Zeroes, along with regen health and that ridiculous thing where you spray your abs better. Everything else is gravy.

Ok, now I understand what he ment.

I like the slo-mo addition. I would have preferred the rations to return instead of the re-gen health but its not a big deal for me. Yes the spray is stupid.

Yes I was referring to them calling to alert other guards.

I don't really mind the health regen as much.

Regarding slow motion, there really should be a limit.. it's too much of a fail safe.

I believe both can be turned off.

• tok9 wrote: »
    Yes I was referring to them calling to alert other guards.

I don't really mind the health regen as much.

Regarding slow motion, there really should be a limit.. it's too much of a fail safe.

I believe both can be turned off.
    Exactly, just turn them off prob solved

Yeah, but instant alerts aren't fun either. It's a shame because every other aspect of the enemy AI is really developed from earlier games.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Skeleton XIII

GZ is great. It's everything I want from Metal Gear. It's no 1, 2 or 3 but by christ it's doing it's best. 4 can **** off. So can Raiden. 3 is hands down the best and Kojima san has at least one more flash of genius in him left, I believe.

High hopes for the new MG, been a long time coming. If TPP isn't awful at least it'll be better than MGS4. and I liked MGS4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Only got to play this last night.

I did not come to this expecting it to be long or varied so I have no issue with that. My main issue is with the camera when crouched behind cover and actually getting into cover, both are not pretty, it's been a while since I've played the older games but I don't recall either of those things being that bad.

In terms of story and set up i found it did very little and certainly not enough to warrant it being called a prologue , the hook to draw is into the phantom pain at the end was something I expected to be bigger and more of a OMG moment if I'm honest.

There is fun to be had with it for sure but even the demo for MGS2 was better than this at least that could have been called a prologue :(

calex71 wrote: »
    There is fun to be had with it for sure but even the demo for MGS2 was better than this at least that could have been called a prologue :(

I think you are forgetting that the MGS2 demo was not the whole tanker section.

• tok9 wrote: »
    I think you are forgetting that the MGS2 demo was not the whole tanker section.

And I still got more play out of it :/

• Advertisement

I loved MGS2. I actually couldn't tell you the amount of times I completed it.

Back then I wouldn't be getting games so regularly so I'd replay games a lot more.

But even now with Ground Zeroes and other games to play, I'm loving it. While waiting for a friend to play Dead Nation I threw it on for a quick go to complete a challenge.. that's how much it's hooked me.

It's obviously not for everyone but I'm really enjoying it.

Completely agree with the person about the tight spaces.. definitely times where the camera is absolutely terrible.

Advertisement