Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal Gear Solid 5 (Ground Zeros] ....completed in 2 HOURS!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Getting into cover just doesn't feel right , certainly not as good as previous titles but as I said it's been a while, I haven't really been following commentary about the game, has there been much said regards that ? Maybe I need to give it some more time but it just feels horribly fiddly or something

• calex71 wrote: »
    Getting into cover just doesn't feel right , certainly not as good as previous titles but as I said it's been a while, I haven't really been following commentary about the game, has there been much said regards that ? Maybe I need to give it some more time but it just feels horribly fiddly or something

I struggled with the cover system, it's so fiddly.
    Think Snausagues managed to get the hang of it but for me it just didn't feel natural,.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Wow. Well spotted by this guy ....
    Keifer Sutherland voices the medic in Ground Zeroes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

I've only played through the main mission once but I didn't have any major cover issues. The game doesn't handle cover-based shooting very well but that's not a terribly bad thing. Mechanically I think Ground Zeroes is very good.

Guess I should check those extra ops out at some point. Did anyone get a code for a Phantom Pain trailer with their copy? Did you watch it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

if you think about it
    this game/demo what ever you want too call it
    could be used as a beta too fix things people have issues with, such as the horrible cover system :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Conza41

Bought this off the PS store a while back for €20. Honestly, I love the MGS series and have been a fan for years, but I felt ripped off by that. It was short for what it was. I wasn't great at it, got spotted loads. But overall playtime was about 90 minutes or so, not sure if that includes cutscenes or not, but it felt like it did.

It's certainly something new. I found it rather challenging, either that or I'm just not that good at it! Didn't exactly go great for me, weapon wise. Whether it was something I did, I don't know, but I kept picking up the enemies assault rifles with no silencer every time I did a take down. It really bugged me, because I'd have preferred to keep my silenced gun for stealth kills, but for some reason I couldn't get it again.

I'm anticipating The Phantom Pain though, hoping it's going to be good. For now, my MGS re-playthrough has begun once more! :D

Just on the whole 'if you don't like a gameplay feature then just turn it off' argument, that doesn't really work when an entire game is built around that system. Taking it out won't return MGS to the way it used to be. The reason I think of posting this now is because I had a similar argument with someone over fast-travel in Oblivion and Skyrim, when Morrowind had a very involved system of following your journal entries to find your destination and using silt riders. TESIV and V just gave you a pointer. Hitman Absolution had similar problems, 'purist' mode didn't work at all.

All that aside I think this game plays great. I just hope Phantom Pain is as focused as Ground Zeroes. And a bit harder.

• 2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    if you think about it
    this game/demo what ever you want too call it
    could be used as a beta too fix things people have issues with, such as the horrible cover system :D

Which is another reason I don't agree with the business model, but it's clever from Konami that they essentially have the public testing out said mechanics and can tweak accordingly when the fully fledged game arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Isn't that what happens anyway?

At least with this the game is actually working unlike other recent games with bugs (Arkham Origins, AC3, BF4) and everyone buying knew exactly what they were getting from it. (I'm looking at you GTA... advertising heists as a big feature then it's barely there and non existant in multiplayer, Dark Souls 2 also with graphics and lighting system)

MGS was worth it for me.. absolultely loved it. 69% through now.. may give it a break for a little while.

• tok9 wrote: »
    Isn't that what happens anyway?

At least with this the game is actually working unlike other recent games with bugs (Arkham Origins, AC3, BF4) and everyone buying knew exactly what they were getting from it. (I'm looking at you GTA... advertising heists as a big feature then it's barely there and non existant in multiplayer, Dark Souls 2 also with graphics and lighting system)

MGS was worth it for me.. absolultely loved it. 69% through now.. may give it a break for a little while.

To presume that everybody knew what they were getting from it is wrong. There are still alot of consumers out there who just walk into a store and pick stuff up off the shelf because they looked at the back of the box. These are the losers in all of this. It also sets precedence that this sort of business model is fine. The more people lap it up the more likely it will happen in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭chris_john_lane

Always look at the reviews of a game before you buy it!!!

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    To presume that everybody knew what they were getting from it is wrong. There are still alot of consumers out there who just walk into a store and pick stuff up off the shelf because they looked at the back of the box. These are the losers in all of this. It also sets precedence that this sort of business model is fine. The more people lap it up the more likely it will happen in the future.

But in what sense are they losers? It's a good game.

Even the quantity of the game isn't an issue... I've put at least 15 - 20 hours into it. That is genuinely more than I've put in to other games.

Fair enough.. someone might not be as interested as I am in it.. even with that you can easily spend at least 6-10 hours on the game.

So is the issue really just because you know there is a larger game coming? Should a consumer be annoyed every year a new fifa comes out or Assassins Creed?
    Always look at the reviews of a game before you buy it!!!

The reviews are good.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭chris_john_lane

tok9 wrote: »

Even the quantity of the game isn't an issue... I've put at least 15 - 20 hours into it. That is genuinely more than I've put in to other games.

Fair enough.. someone might not be as interested as I am in it.. even with that you can easily spend at least 6-10 hours on the game.

So is the issue really just because you know there is a larger game coming? Should a consumer be annoyed every year a new fifa comes out or Assassins Creed?

The reviews are good.

But it says I reviews that game is very short, that's why I didn't buy it.

Okay.. well I hope that's not a usual criteria for you as I assume you've missed out in some of the best games ever created in the likes of Brothers, Journey, Gone Home...

Gone Home is definitely not one of the best games ever created. No way.

The point is more so if you are worried about the length of a game, you will miss out in some cracking games.

I actually haven't played Gone Home yet but I absolutely will once it's available for PS4.

The reviews are good.

Exactly my point unless you are completely invested in playing the same recycled content with a twist in the mission objectives or on a higher difficulty setting, You will end up only getting 90 minutes (The Main Mission) out of this before it's returned to the store for the general 'Joe Soap' playing this.

Yearly iterations of COD, FIFA, Assassins Creed & Battlefield I don't agree with either but people keep buying the same recycled content (and sometimes broken garbage ala Battlefield 4) then publishers are going to keep churning it out.

Just Ground Zeros was a step too far, a testing ground demo for the actual real game that will still come at a premium price.

The point is more so if you are worried about the length of a game, you will miss out in some cracking games.

I actually haven't played Gone Home yet but I absolutely will once it's available for PS4.

These are indie titles, I expect a higher cost for these as most of these guys don't have the financial backing.

Konami has a rich revenue stream so the situation is not the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Exactly my point unless you are completely invested in playing the same recycled content with a twist in the mission objectives or on a higher difficulty setting, You will end up only getting 90 minutes (The Main Mission) out of this before it's returned to the store for the general 'Joe Soap' playing this.

Yearly iterations of COD, FIFA, Assassins Creed & Battlefield I don't agree with either but people keep buying the same recycled content (and sometimes broken garbage ala Battlefield 4) then publishers are going to keep churning it out.

Just Ground Zeros was a step too far, a testing ground demo for the actual real game that will still come at a premium price.

But you can't compare Ground Zero's to COD,AC or Battlefield since each of those retail at about €70 and GZ could be gotten for around €20-30 on release.

There's at least 6 hours of content in GZ without replaying a bunch if missions. For €20 I can't complain.

There are 5 separate missions. Just because it's in the same area doesn't mean it's recycled.

By the way, I wouldn't exactly say Konami have a rich flow of revenue, in fact I'd argue that's most of the reason why Ground Zeroes was released separately. I would bet a large chunk of that will go to funding the rest of The Phantom Pain.

• Advertisement

• M!Ck^ wrote: »

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    But you can't compare Ground Zero's to COD,AC or Battlefield since each of those retail at about €70 and GZ could be gotten for around €20-30 on release.

There's at least 6 hours of content in GZ without replaying a bunch if missions. For €20 I can't complain.

Blobby see above for why the average gamer did not get 6 hours out of this;
    My own experience; It took me around 95 minutes going slow to complete the main mission, I manged to blow up the AA guns & Save all the prisoners in the process. I essentially carried out the same task again in the side missions for 2 of them.
    Also to answer the second question;
    If you step back in two posts I never compared them at all. Tok9 brought this issue with COD / FIFA etc.. I just gave my two cents on there situation as franchises.
    tok9 wrote: »
    There are 5 separate missions. Just because it's in the same area doesn't mean it's recycled.

By the way, I wouldn't exactly say Konami have a rich flow of revenue, in fact I'd argue that's most of the reason why Ground Zeroes was released separately. I would bet a large chunk of that will go to funding the rest of The Phantom Pain.
    As above 2 of the levels I done the same in the main mission, the 3 other levels had some with minor twists in the objectives like fly in the helicopter, blow up the tank & eliminate the 2 guys, but all in the same map so it didn't feel fresh at all for me.

http://www.develop-online.net/news/konami-optimistic-as-net-revenue-falls/0114803

Might be dipping slightly but these guys are certainly not short on cashflow

Yeah, I mean you could theoretically make a 100 missions out of Ground Zeroes but just with slightly different conditions and I still wouldn't call it good value. Excellent game, but crap value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

30 euros for 90mins of gameplay? Kojima played you like a damn FIDDLE. :D

Everyone I've talked to found that line so horrible. And apparently they kicked Hayter out for his ****e acting. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

30 euros for 90mins of gameplay? Kojima played you like a damn FIDDLE. :D

I love that line, and his delivery of it. My favourite though has to be.....
    "where is Cipher? Wheeeeeeere is Zero?"

Love that! :D

Fair enough I suppose.. each to their own.

I will say it's probably the most fun I've got out of my PS4 so far.. well possibly behind Resogun which funnily enough would probably be considered a demo by some here too since it only has 5 levels and they are all cylinders anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Came back to this today, to maybe play for S Ranks alternative routes etc.

I had to give up because of rage levels, the controls and character movement just don't sit well with me at all and the cover as I mentioned a will back is a game breaker for me.

I've played the other games several times and don't recall having these issues, at one point and this is rare for me I was praying for a mouse to use while aiming in 1st person :eek:

Maybe I just haven't experimented enough , but the enemies vision cones see to be longer and wider than I would have expected, not an issue as such just found it tough to judge at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Rory Gallagher

The original MGS is fairly short aswell from what I recollect, Great story all the same.
    That and the second Silent Hill pushed the maturity of video games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

I've gone back to this to try squeeze a bit more value out by getting a higher completition ratio. Like calex71 I'm struggling with rage levels. Has anyone come across a good text walkthrough to get up to 100% ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Started playing the MGS on my ps1 after id say a 10 year absence.

Turned it off as it was too hard :(

Advertisement