Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal Gear Solid 5 (Ground Zeros] ....completed in 2 HOURS!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

calex71 wrote: »
    Jaysus Richy, you went a bit mad on the spoiler tags there :D

I was afraid of spoiling the game for anybody :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

I'm glad Hayter's gone tbh. If Solid Snake ever features again then yeah, bring him back please. But I was never a fan of him as Big Boss. He should never have played that character and his performance in Peacewalker was awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I still think Hayter is in MGS5. When it was announced he would not be in it he was really selling that fact. Came off as a bait and switch attempt to me.

But... urgh got to use spoiler tags I guess :P

If MGS5 stays true to the history of events it's created.
    Solid Snake doesn't meet Big Boss until 1995 (Snake is 23 at this point) but The Phantom Pain takes place in 1984. Accordingly The Phantom Pain is meant to show Evil Big Boss. But of course thats a big accordingly because as proven Kojima likes to talk crap when hyping his games lol.

So I guess in order to have Solid Snake in the game. Events must take place in 1995? Which would make a complete circle. But also would mean what on earth can they next MGS game gonna be about? lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Kerplunk124

i can see an epilogue featuring Snake and BB on Codec before the start of MG1

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Hayter would be important to me as to harrison ford is to Indiana Jones , removing such a voice or actor breaks my heart.

Metal Gear Solid my favourite series of all time. Even bought a ps4 for ground zeroes. Its the voice I know most and hayter was very fond of the series and knew how important it was. Keifer as much as I wanted to accept him felt like this was a side project for him and to my hears did not really feel like the passion was there.

I hope I am wrong when phantom pain comes.

I definitely agree with most of that, given how integral and iconic Hayter's voice has been to the MGS series. I just think in the days of motion and facial capture, where it's not just a vocal performance but a real actor's performance, Sutherland can bring a lot more to the role than I feel Hayter can. I think Sutherland will be able to play the role with more subtlety and depth, I just don't think we saw enough of it in GZ to say one way or another.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Penn wrote: »
    I definitely agree with most of that, given how integral and iconic Hayter's voice has been to the MGS series. I just think in the days of motion and facial capture, where it's not just a vocal performance but a real actor's performance, Sutherland can bring a lot more to the role than I feel Hayter can. I think Sutherland will be able to play the role with more subtlety and depth, I just don't think we saw enough of it in GZ to say one way or another.

I think you hit the hammer right on the nail , it seems motion capture is now to play a more huge impact that just voice alone , seems kojima felt while Hayter was cherished towards its fans Kojima felt he need a more all around performance In motion capture and voice, not that Keifer is a bad choice , if I were to opt for someone else he would of fit the bill.

I just do not feel based on his performance in Ground zeroes that he is taken the series seriously enough and treating it more of a side project.

I hope it turns around in phantom pain and he kills it.

My heart tells me still as I said that david hayter has some role in phantom pain, there is no way after 16 years of his service Kojima would leave him like that in the dark knowing how much the fans love him.

Fingers crossed at least :D

He only really has a handful of lines in Ground Zeroes, it's really hard to tell if Sutherland will fit the role or not. The cutscene at the start is the only real part of the game where he speaks for an extended period of time.

Anyway I think there's too much history to cover in both these games to take it from Peacewalker era (1974, the year Ground Zeroes is set) to mid-80s when Phantom Pain takes place all the way up to Metal Gear. We'll probably see the origins of Outer Heaven, in fact I'm fairly sure they foreshadowed as much in a PP trailer.

Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 would make a fairly interesting MGSVI. MGS had to recton quite a bit of the originals, so it would be nice to have a version of the Outer Heaven and Zanzibar story that's actually canon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Bringthethunder

The MGS games are a lot like the TV show "The Wire". Those who played/watched it think its the best thing ever and everyone else is like "Whats the big deal"? Playing snake eater now and it rocks

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Burky126

New trailer on the 10th June.

Kojima is to reveal who is on Big Boss' team for The Phantom Pain.

Trailer is also said to be darker than the Ground Zeroes trailer last year.

I just hope there's few spoilers this time around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I've now played and completed this. And its actually made me really want the actual game. Damn you Kojima.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

Did anyone get to 100%? I think I got about half-way before packing it in. Stuff like 'fastest marking of enemies' is just tedious.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,037 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

cloud493 wrote: »
    I've now played and completed this. And its actually made me really want the actual game. Damn you Kojima.

Kind of like the MGS2 demo. Zone of the enders was no compensation for the months of waiting for the full MGS2.

Glazers Out!

Not sure if there's a Phantom Pain thread but the E3 trailer leaked

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Not sure if there's a Phantom Pain thread but the E3 trailer leaked

...and I soiled myself.

Kojima certainly knows how to cut a trailer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

So whats going on hey. Miller is missing an arm and a leg and Big Boss is missing an arm and what. So many questions. Looks to be a beater though. Just hope Kojima doesn't lose the run of himself like in 4

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Timmyctc wrote: »
    So whats going on hey. Miller is missing an arm and a leg and Big Boss is missing an arm and what. So many questions. Looks to be a beater though. Just hope Kojima doesn't lose the run of himself like in 4

Did you play Ground Zero's? You can get a pretty good idea what happened after playing it.

Coming
    ... you suck, Kojima! :pac:

But that's one annoying aspect of the Metal Gear games. They get hyped WAY too early. MGS4 was first shown in September 2005. Didn't come out until 18 months later.

So were are we at on MGS5? First shown in December 2012 I think. Boo!

Early 2015 i reckon

Been thinking the same since Ground Zeroes came out. Just makes sense. Release it one year after GZ. So... March-ish 2015. More than enough time for the hype machine to keep on going and more than enough time for people to buy copies of GZ before The Phantom Pain.

But is that
    Quiet getting dumped in the water at 3:15?
    Also at 3:39 it looks like her again dressed up as a soldier pointing a gun at Big Boss?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

I loved 4. I hope it's the same :p

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Burky126

Did people not see last year's trailer or the end of Ground Zeroes?

You can pretty much guess what's been going on until the blanks are filled in.

Without a doubt the gameplay is going to be excellent,liking some of the improvements I've seen already from Ground Zeroes.

The story on the other hand...we'll see.I really don't mind if some of the MSX/Famicon games are being retconned but I still expect some interesting ideas or themes being mishandled.Still,great trailer.Just when is this ever coming out?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Skeleton XIII

EyeSight wrote: »
    I loved 4. I hope it's the same :p

A rare statement. What exactly did you love about 4?

I'll admit it wasn't that bad. But after MGS 3 it was a massive disappointment for me. Felt like only half a game and the rest was cutscenes.

The decision to make SS old was fair enough (limited life span for a clone, I get it) but it was stupid to make this happen to Snake so early on when he's only been the main character once out of 3 of his own god damn games. (not including the original Metal Gears)

Damn it, I just remembered why I severely dislike Hideo Kojima and his bull****.

New game looks sweet, though. I really enjoyed GZ. It felt like the game 4 should have been. Maybe fifth time's the charm?

A rare statement. What exactly did you love about 4?

I'll admit it wasn't that bad. But after MGS 3 it was a massive disappointment for me. Felt like only half a game and the rest was cutscenes.

The decision to make SS old was fair enough (limited life span for a clone, I get it) but it was stupid to make this happen to Snake so early on when he's only been the main character once out of 3 of his own god damn games. (not including the original Metal Gears)

Damn it, I just remembered why I severely dislike Hideo Kojima and his bull****.

New game looks sweet, though. I really enjoyed GZ. It felt like the game 4 should have been. Maybe fifth time's the charm?
    I'm not going to get into another argument about MGS4 but i liked it because it was a load of fun, it had great boss fights(I mean it had 2 metal gears from previous games fighting each other!), it had humor, easter eggs, an in-game ipod(shame they didn't continue the in-game podcasts), fun weapons, great gameplay, some things in there for fans of the old games, good story, it wasn't linear etc.

The only thing i didn't like was some of the long cut scenes, but only 2 were intolerable for me.
    It's tied first with MGS3 for my favourite MGS game. It's up there with Last of US for my favourite ps3 game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

I liked the improvement in camouflage and tweaks to movement and stealth mechanics in MGS4. The story amd pace of as well as overall setting of various levels (with the exception of the "noir" sneaking mission) kinda sucked for me and was a letdown. Too many superfluous weapons too and I disliked the boss battles. The Shadow Moses bit I loved for the nostalgia.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Skeleton XIII

I liked the improvement in camouflage and tweaks to movement and stealth mechanics in MGS4. The story amd pace of as well as overall setting of various levels (with the exception of the "noir" sneaking mission) kinda sucked for me and was a letdown. Too many superfluous weapons too and I disliked the boss battles. The Shadow Moses bit I loved for the nostalgia.

Pretty much what I would've said. Though I did very much enjoy trying to get a 100% on the first couple of acts without alerts or killing anyone. I say enjoy but I'm sure the controller almost went through the screen on occasion!

EyeSight wrote: »
    I'm not going to get into another argument about MGS4 but i liked it because it was a load of fun, it had great boss fights(I mean it had 2 metal gears from previous games fighting each other!), it had humor, easter eggs, an in-game ipod(shame they didn't continue the in-game podcasts), fun weapons, great gameplay, some things in there for fans of the old games, good story, it wasn't linear etc.

The only thing i didn't like was some of the long cut scenes, but only 2 were intolerable for me.
    It's tied first with MGS3 for my favourite MGS game. It's up there with Last of US for my favourite ps3 game.

Just opinions here lads but I would say the boss battles were less enjoyable in 4 and certainly the Camo wasn't improved, just dumbed down. The best thing about 3's was that you actually had to think about your camo. I felt all that they really needed to do was improve the UI with regards camo. Was too slow in 3

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Just opinions here lads but I would say the boss battles were less enjoyable in 4 and certainly the Camo wasn't improved, just dumbed down. The best thing about 3's was that you actually had to think about your camo. I felt all that they really needed to do was improve the UI with regards camo. Was too slow in 3

No you didn't.
    I played through 3 last month after a few years break.
    I was suprised at how little I had to use different camo.
    Not only that, but some of the boss fights were ridiculously easy.
    The Fear, The Pain, The End....I found very easy....only The Fury flying around lighting me up was in any way annoying.

I'm not sure I ever used a grenade in the whole game.....what were the point of chaff grenades, there were no cameras to be alerted by

SeantheMan wrote: »
    No you didn't.
    I played through 3 last month after a few years break.
    I was suprised at how little I had to use different camo.
    Not only that, but some of the boss fights were ridiculously easy.
    The Fear, The Pain, The End....I found very easy....only The Fury flying around lighting me up was in any way annoying.

I'm not sure I ever used a grenade in the whole game.....what were the point of chaff grenades, there were no cameras to be alerted by

I too played through it and you do have to use a fair few different ones. Especially in harder difficulties. On easier modes it can largely be split down to Splitter/Urban Moss/StationaryGrass (I think its Flectarn for moving in grass) and your basic desert camos for the parts up the mountain. Compare that to. I lie for 2 seconds on any surface and become invisible from distances as close as 2metres and it shows how much they dumbed down the gameplay in 4. They could have just streamlined it but they went full on crutch.

The boss fights are easy on easy modes. But a challenge on hard modes. The End is a boss that's quite a test until you learn how to beat him then its just about tracking him well. I'll give you the Fear is easy on any difficulty. Fury and Volgin are absolute bastards on European Extreme.

Chaff grenades take out electronics. There are feck all in the game but they bring down Radios, the flying pads among other things.

• Advertisement

I too played through it and you do have to use a fair few different ones. Especially in harder difficulties. On easier modes it can largely be split down to Splitter/Urban Moss/StationaryGrass (I think its Flectarn for moving in grass) and your basic desert camos for the parts up the mountain. Compare that to. I lie for 2 seconds on any surface and become invisible from distances as close as 2metres and it shows how much they dumbed down the gameplay in 4. They could have just streamlined it but they went full on crutch.

The boss fights are easy on easy modes. But a challenge on hard modes. The End is a boss that's quite a test until you learn how to beat him then its just about tracking him well. I'll give you the Fear is easy on any difficulty. Fury and Volgin are absolute bastards on European Extreme.

Chaff grenades take out electronics. There are feck all in the game but they bring down Radios, the flying pads among other things.
    MGS3 is one of my favorite games every(along with 4 :p ) but it was annoying to have to go to the start screen each time you wanted to change camo. I think you mentioned that though.

Some of the boss battles weren't that great but some were(the End boss battle was awesome! I remember seeing the glint from his scope ). I'd put the boss battles on the same par as MGS4

Advertisement