Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal Gear Solid 5 (Ground Zeros] ....completed in 2 HOURS!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    For not liking rising :)

I found it floaty and weird. I liked the parry mechanism, that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Wasn't pushed with Rising, myself.

Would love another proper MGS, like MGS 1 or 3. Hopefully 5 is at least better than 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    [...]why bother releasing such a short version of the game when mgs is normal quite long(at least with cutscenes it feels that way)
    Part of it will be financial (Konami's not in the best shape, and this will help their funding long-term).
    The other is story:
    At the end of Ground Zeroes, Big Boss is put into a coma for 9 years. For the player, waiting for a year for Phantom Pain will hopefully give some of that feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Burky126

Just recently the game had an open boot camp with invited guests.They tweeted their reactions to their experiences so far.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/02/12/metal-gear-solid-v-impressions-filter-from-boot-camp-not-a-two-hour-game-best-stealth-yet/

Some quotes mentioned.
    I’d like to point out that this game is not a 2 hour game… Ground Zeroes is a great demonstration of the FOX Engine.
    Finished GZ for the first time in about 90 minutes. Total game completion? 9%. I think that tells you all you need to know.
    After completing the main mission and a side mission in 4 hours the game says I’m at 10% completion. Sounds good to me
    So yeah, the main mission of Ground Zeroes is short. BUT, you really are not going to find and discover everything in 2 hours.

Is anyone really expecting the side-stuff to be that interesting though? It's just going to recycle stuff from the main mission I bet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

snausages wrote: »
    Is anyone really expecting the side-stuff to be that interesting though? It's just going to recycle stuff from the main mission I bet.

How about you stop moaning and either buy it, or just leave the thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Gz might well be the last time I ever engage with a mgs game. I've tried and tried but cannot understand why people like them at all. Ice never found them to be anything other than awful on every level.

New gen, new engine, new chance though. If it's the same floaty weightless feeling and awful writing and narrative though I'm just giving up

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I'm just debating whether to wait for it to drop to about 20 euro or buy it at launch. I'll definitely pick it up at some stage since I'm a big fan of the series.

COYVB, while I'm sure GZ will be a bit different with some of the new features (Spotting etc) I can't see it changing your opinion.

MGS3 is one of the best games of the PS2/Xbox/Gamecube generation and one of my personal all time favourite games.

tok9 wrote: »
    I'm just debating whether to wait for it to drop to about 20 euro or buy it at launch. I'll definitely pick it up at some stage since I'm a big fan of the series.

COYVB, while I'm sure GZ will be a bit different with some of the new features (Spotting etc) I can't see it changing your opinion.

MGS3 is one of the best games of the PS2/Xbox/Gamecube generation and one of my personal all time favourite games.

Play-asia have next gen versions for 25 euro if you buy the Asian version. It's in english apparently: http://www.play-asia.com/paOScore/19-71-99-15-ground+zeroes.html

I'm buying it, but I'm pretty sure that when they say a single run gets you 10% completion that the other 90% will be stuff like playing on extreme, dog tags style collectables, some hidden areas etc. There won't be much meat in it. That's not a massive deal at the sub 20 euro price but at some of the other prices it's going for it's lousy value.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    How about you stop moaning and either buy it, or just leave the thread?

STOP DEBATING AND CONSUME!

On the game itself, it has to be better than 4 - surely someone told Kojima that he quite literally lost the plot for that game. Possibly under the couch, or in a drawer somewhere.

I'd be quite happy with a 3/4 hour game with solid gameplay and a decent plot. Hopefully it makes something approaching sense. And if this is the prologue to 2 in a standalone package, good, that was the best bit of that game by some distance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

COYVB wrote: »
    Gz might well be the last time I ever engage with a mgs game. I've tried and tried but cannot understand why people like them at all. Ice never found them to be anything other than awful on every level.

New gen, new engine, new chance though. If it's the same floaty weightless feeling and awful writing and narrative though I'm just giving up

story wise you either love it or hate it like serial experiments lain or many other storys in any medium but mgs are far from awful by any means. Game play may be short but its some of the best gameplay in videogames..period. it has the most pin point detail and always has been a head of its time. the structure of the level design and enemies is far more advanced in its time than many other games when each instalment was released.

I do not mind if someone criticises the story but don't sit there and say its awful on every front. that is ludicrous and total non sense

story wise you either love it or hate it like serial experiments lain or many other storys in any medium but mgs are far from awful by any means. Game play may be short but its some of the best gameplay in videogames..period. it has the most pin point detail and always has been a head of its time. the structure of the level design and enemies is far more advanced in its time than many other games when each instalment was released.

I don't know about that. For me MGS has always been like the GoW of its genre. Stupid and fun with lots of appeal but not very deep. Thief/Splinter Cell is more like the Ninja Gaiden/DMC of stealth.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,414 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Metal Gear Solid is strange. It's like it's a stealth game made for the arcades. Not surprising considering it's made by Konami and some of the best arcade developers of all time are working on it. Even the bosses feel very like the bosses of an old Konami arcade game.

It kind of moved away from that with MGS4 and was a much worse game because of it.

I don't know about that. For me MGS has always been like the GoW of its genre. Stupid and fun with lots of appeal but not very deep. Thief/Splinter Cell is more like the Ninja Gaiden/DMC of stealth.

not very deep ?

:eek:

hold on just a second while the older games of splinter cell, cant talk much about theif since I am not a pc gamer are solid stealth games they do not offer as much detail than metal gear solid. splinter cell is one trick pony , you take out lights you move in the shadows.

you can go back to the MSX games with metal gear 1 and 2 and see its masterclass design and then go to ps1 which at the time was ground breaking.

Mgs is anything but stupid and fun , its thoughtful and sublime in its gameplay.

your outside in the cold for awhile you sneeze , guard hears you
    step in a puddle guard hears you

you did not see sort of detail on consoles at the time.

move along to mgs 2 back in 2001

holding up soldiers at gun point making them drop their items they are carrying
    shooting their walkie talkies so they can not call for back up
    you hide in a box solider will check to see if you are hiding in their
    soldiers would check lockers and such also

splinter cell enemies are one dimensional and did not offer near the level of intelligence as metal gear solid 2.

Metal Gear Solid 3 is the pinnacle that I yet seen matched

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,414 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's no Thief in fairness :P

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's no Thief in fairness :P

Troll alert :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

not very deep ?

:eek:

hold on just a second while the older games of splinter cell, cant talk much about theif since I am not a pc gamer are solid stealth games they do not offer as much detail than metal gear solid. splinter cell is one trick pony , you take out lights you move in the shadows.

you can go back to the MSX games with metal gear 1 and 2 and see its masterclass design and then go to ps1 which at the time was ground breaking.

Mgs is anything but stupid and fun , its thoughtful and sublime in its gameplay.

your outside in the cold for awhile you sneeze , guard hears you
    step in a puddle guard hears you

you did not see sort of detail on consoles at the time.

move along to mgs 2 back in 2001

holding up soldiers at gun point making them drop their items they are carrying
    shooting their walkie talkies so they can not call for back up
    you hide in a box solider will check to see if you are hiding in their
    soldiers would check lockers and such also

splinter cell enemies are one dimensional and did not offer near the level of intelligence as metal gear solid 2.

Metal Gear Solid 3 is the pinnacle that I yet seen matched

Ah now, MGS is a dumb as a bag of hammers for the most part, bosses who fire killer bees out of themselves and an immortal vampire are not the stuff of serious espionage games. It's the silly aspects of the series I prefer, when it's trying to lecture players about the nature of war and nuclear arms it's all so po faced you can't take it seriously, it's about as subtle as a sledgehammer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

I do not mind if someone criticises the story but don't sit there and say its awful on every front. that is ludicrous and total non sense

I didn't say it was definitively awful on every level, I said I found it to be so. Big difference

krudler wrote: »
    Ah now, MGS is a dumb as a bag of hammers for the most part, bosses who fire killer bees out of themselves and an immortal vampire are not the stuff of serious espionage games. It's the silly aspects of the series I prefer, when it's trying to lecture players about the nature of war and nuclear arms it's all so po faced you can't take it seriously, it's about as subtle as a sledgehammer.

who saying otherwise ?

supernatural element in mgs I love the most about the franchise, I am merely talking about the stealth elements and level of detail , not realism

the series is the pinnacle of espionage games , even with the heavy usages at times of supernatural

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

COYVB wrote: »
    I didn't say it was definitively awful on every level, I said I found it to be so. Big difference

Well noone can ever really say anything is definitively awful on every level though. You can't rightly say that Games like MGS1, 2 and 3 have no redeeming features without being aware you are lying. Even games I despise I can acknowledge their strongs points and where others would enjoy them etc.

• Advertisement

even with the heavy usages at times of supernatural

The thing I like most about mgs is this element.Even if it seems a little contrived or dumb sometimes,it's what sets it apart in terms of style.

Would you rather mgs be some bland,generic,western influenced game or a fully realised action packed anime from the east?

I'd prefer the balance of the two rather than one or the other.Some may like it or not but to me it's what makes it unique.

I will say it is interesting that V seems to be more western than the other games (as it is probably due in fact to Kojima Productions L.A studio.) There are some aspects I like (condensed cutscenes/intergrated gameplay) but I wonder will this change be good overall as like I said,this could remove some signature quirks from the series.

The shooty bits and regen health don't inspire confidence. I hope it still has that 'quirk' and they don't Resi 6 it up.

The shooty bits and regen health don't inspire confidence. I hope it still has that 'quirk' and they don't Resi 6 it up.

Wasn't there regen health in mgs3? That didn't ruin the game for me.

Burky126 wrote: »
    Wasn't there regen health in mgs3? That didn't ruin the game for me.

In MGS3 it regenerated extremely slowly and even then only if you had enough stamina. It was affected by injuries as well. MGSV's regen is more like Call of Duty, just duck behind cover and wait for the screen to wipe itself clean.

In MGS3 it regenerated extremely slowly and even then only if you had enough stamina. It was affected by injuries as well. MGSV's regen is more like Call of Duty, just duck behind cover and wait for the screen to wipe itself clean.

Has that claim been verified as fact though or just assumption through gameplay footage? Is there a catch to the health regenerating? I could be mistaken here.

Has that claim been verified as fact though or just assumption through gameplay footage? Is there a catch to the health regenerating? I could be mistaken here.

Gameplay footage, but isn't that fact enough? 8:50

Gameplay footage, but isn't that fact enough? 8:50

I'm not terribly excited by this footage and I don't think it's just last gen sour grapes. Maybe it's just the guy who's playing.

Not really so.To me it seems like an effect to indicate Snake taking damage since the developers made the hud intergrated to the gameplay to enhance immersion.Also,for demonstration purposes,they might have programmed it for Snake to be invincible to show off the features.It could of also been on an easier difficulty?

Only people who know for sure that this is a thing are the people who played it at the Nasu event.Unless Game Informer mentioned it in their article?

I think all of that is unlikely, they don't usually do that for shows. I'd say it definitely has regen health. It's the exact same effect that Uncharted has when the screen loses colour when Drake is hit.

I think all of that is unlikely, they don't usually do that for shows. I'd say it definitely has regen health. It's the exact same effect that Uncharted has when the screen loses colour when Drake is hit.

Again,this is all an assumption.No solid proof this is in the game.You're absolutely right that this may be a horrible game mechanic if this is indeed in the finished game but I just want to point out how ridiculous some of the reactions have been over something that may not actually feature.

• Advertisement

Again,this is all an assumption.No solid proof this is in the game.You're absolutely right that this may be a horrible game mechanic if this is indeed in the finished game but I just want to point out how ridiculous some of the reactions have been over something that may not actually feature.

It's not a ridiculous reaction. I honestly think it's more ridiculous to argue over it when it's plainly there in the game footage above as visible as Snake's mullet. He get's shot and the colour leaves the screen. He stops getting shot and the screen brightens, just like Uncharted/CoD etc. It's hardly an assumption.

Advertisement