Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal Gear Solid 5 (Ground Zeros] ....completed in 2 HOURS!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    Think I'll wait for some reviews here before thinking about it. Its seems to be quality over quantity from the reviews but its still pretty pricey for that quality
    I think the question you should ask yourself is this: How are you going to handle the year after playing while waiting for Phantom Pain. I know for me that wait would be horrible if I'd played Ground Zeroes. How long Ground Zeroes is was never part of the equation for me. Course, you'll have to be vigilant about spoilers if you decide to wait.

So, how good are you at waiting, and how good are you at avoiding spoilers. Think they're the two questions you should be asking yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Kotaku review says three hours for the main mission and two hours for the side missions. At anything approaching those levels it seems worth it imo, especially when you factor in the quality of the content within.

• gizmo wrote: »
    Kotaku review says three hours for the main mission and two hours for the side missions. At anything approaching those levels it seems worth it imo, especially when you factor in the quality of the content within.

I can't understand how some sites are claiming 25 mins and others 3 hours.
    and the fact that the gameplay is getting slated never-mind the amount of content makes this even more disappointing.

Quote Polygon;
    'All told, the titular Ground Zeroes mission took me one hour and 16 minutes to complete, including cutscenes and about eight deaths. That's not the game clock, either. That's real time. The mission is not only short, it's dull. Your objectives amount to going to one place, rescuing a prisoner, going to another place, rescuing another prisoner, and then calling in a helicopter to get you out of there. Underwhelming doesn't begin to describe it.'

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I can't understand how some sites are claiming 25 mins and others 3 hours
    Probably taking their time with it?

Conversely, Polygon have slated it and claimed it only took them 1:16 to complete. So even in that context, the Examiner playtime looks ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Looks like a load of fun from watching video reviews.

This is probably the first mgs I have access to that I don't buy straight away and it's not because of the perceived quantity of the game. I've no issue with that at all.

It just happens to have come out at a terrible time. I've loads of Dark Souls 2 left to play, probably another 60 hours worth and I've infamous preordered. I just don't have the time for it right now.

That said I'm still very tempted by it!

Edit: Also, I see this game as an absolute cert to end up on PS+

• Advertisement

• tok9 wrote: »
    Looks like a load of fun from watching video reviews.

This is probably the first mgs I have access to that I don't buy straight away and it's not because of the perceived quantity of the game. I've no issue with that at all.

It just happens to have come out at a terrible time. I've loads of Dark Souls 2 left to play, probably another 60 hours worth and I've infamous preordered. I just don't have the time for it right now.

That said I'm still very tempted by it!

Edit: Also, I see this game as an absolute cert to end up on PS+

This also throws me as there seems to be a division of opinion not just with the games length but with the game-play mechanics / AI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭brady12

Titanfall and dark souls can wait . I'm off Thursday and I be in at 9 to get this. Can't wait

I'm far more tempted to create a US Psn account and buy it off that.

It's out today and it comes to about 22 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭Penn

tok9 wrote: »
    I'm far more tempted to create a US Psn account and buy it off that.

It's out today and it comes to about 22 euro.

Would it cause problems if you buy The Phantom Pain EU version?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

That Polygon review's criticisms can be applied to most games, go to place, do thing, repeat, end.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Polygon are a bunch of hacks. I thought that was common knowledge. I would wait for someone else to review it.

I know nothing about them, I'd give very little credit to most games journalism though, it's all rewritten press releases and 8 out of 10 for everything.

• I know nothing about them, I'd give very little credit to most games journalism though, it's all rewritten press releases and 8 out of 10 for everything.

Why would they make valid points just to be controversial? They make the missions sound very repetitive so if replay-ability is a factor in it's content??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Personally wouldn't pay much attention to the Polygon review.
    Going by people that have played this. Its supposed to play brilliantly.

I'm a huge MGS fan but I can't justify paying nearly €40 for it. I think I'll give this a rent on Friday.
    Also does Xtra-vision still rent PS4 games? :pac:

• Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Personally wouldn't pay much attention to the Polygon review.
    Going by people that have played this. Its supposed to play brilliantly.

I'm a huge MGS fan but I can't justify paying nearly €40 for it. I think I'll give this a rent on Friday.
    Also does Xtra-vision still rent PS4 games? :pac:

It's not just Polygon that have quarrels with the gameplay..

To note: Last time I checked in Xtravision (Athlone) they didn't have any X1 or PS4 games to rent. Only PS3 & x360

Why would they make valid points just to be controversial? They make the missions sound very repetitive so if replay-ability is a factor in it's content??

I'm sure they're sincere in their dislikes, I just found the quote silly.

I've read the whole review now for context and it's still silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

If anyone has ever watched or read Polygon they should know that they are spoofers. Funded by Microsoft attempting to feign a degree of equality in their reviews cross console, they are hacks, nothing more. FFS the reason they slated the ps4 was that the ps4 cannot use remotes to control its menu options (Which was a lie) and refused to comment on its superior native resolution and frame rate during the launch of this gen of consoles. Ended up saying xbone was a better console due to the above (One of my many gripes with Polygon :pac: )

However if the gameplay is getting panned across the board then there would be reason for concern.

Tl;dr take everything Polygon reports on with a ****tonne of salt.

Any idea how big the download size is?

Its 4.4GB

Anyone know how I can buy this off the US Store?
    Its only €22 there.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Think I'll give it a miss,I've enough to be playing :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

My hopes aren't high. It's dispatched anyhow, see what it will be like I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Game beaten in 10 minutes by Eurogamers Martin Robinson.

• Xenji wrote: »
    Game beaten in 10 minutes by Eurogamers Martin Robinson.

Eurogamer slapped a 9 out of 10 on it..
    Cost / Content still wasn't a factor for them, the logic in this baffles me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Cost / Content still wasn't a factor for them, the logic in this baffles me.

Because that's not always a good way of evaluating a piece of work - do you ever see a film review that predominantly focuses on how much cinema tickets or Blu-Rays cost? Games are expensive, no doubt, but that's far from their defining feature, even in this pretty extraordinary case.

Make up your own mind whether you think the game is worth the full price investment - but a reviewer's job should be to evaluate the game as a game, not a product. Not everyone's going to think this is a rip off (especially when many reports suggest around 6-8 hours of gameplay if you take your time).

I'll be playing this with all the help turned off and cranked to the highest difficulty.
    I'll be a nice relaxing break from DS2.

• Because that's not always a good way of evaluating a piece of work - do you ever see a film review that predominantly focuses on how much cinema tickets or Blu-Rays cost? Games are expensive, no doubt, but that's far from their defining feature, even in this pretty extraordinary case.

Make up your own mind whether you think the game is worth the full price investment - but a reviewer's job should be to evaluate the game as a game, not a product. Not everyone's going to think this is a rip off (especially when many reports suggest around 6-8 hours of gameplay if you take your time).

Can't agree with some of this, In my opinion cost should be a defining factor in a consumers purchase regardless of the type of content on offer.
    And the 6 - 8 hours of game-play depends on replaying the game multiple times, most games have replay-ability as a factor so I don't see that as justification for the amount of content on offer.
    I for one love games that I can finish in one sitting, I don't have the luxury of putting massive amount of time into gaming but I have my limits. If I can see the main mission from start to finish in 12 minutes on a youtube video then the business model for this game is just plain wrong, and not to consider this in a product review is wrong also.

To note: The game is the product for me so not sure why it's being divided in your opinion.

I for one love games that I can finish in one sitting, I don't have the luxury of putting massive amount of time into gaming but I have my limits. If I can see the main mission from start to finish in 12 minutes on a youtube video then the business model for this game is just plain wrong, and not to consider this in a product review is wrong also.
    It's worth pointing out that the same website which hosted that video also said this in its review...
    Spend eight hours dabbling with Ground Zeros' playground and it will still find so many ways to surprise you.

As for whether you can finish it in that shorter amount of time, it doesn't mean you should. I mean, something like Gone Home can be cleared in a little over 10 minutes. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it though. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Can't link to it at work but I saw a tweet earlier along the lines of:

Gone Home - $20 - 1-2 hours - GOTY contender
    MGS:GZ - $30 - 2-6 hours - Paid demo, sucks, Konami is ripping us off!

• Advertisement

I said earlier the length of the game doesn't affect me whatsoever.

If I buy this I'm getting it for 22 euro. Only 7 euro more than Journey which lasted roughly an hour and a half and was one of the best gaming experiences of my life.

If the length is an issue for you that's fine, but for me it's nearly a luxury to play a game and be able to finish it within a day or two.

Getting more and more tempted to purchase it.

Advertisement