Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal Gear Solid 5 (Ground Zeros] ....completed in 2 HOURS!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

tok9 wrote: »
    I said earlier the length of the game doesn't affect me whatsoever.

If I buy this I'm getting it for 22 euro. Only 7 euro more than Journey which lasted roughly an hour and a half and was one of the best gaming experiences of my life.

If the length is an issue for you that's fine, but for me it's nearly a luxury to play a game and be able to finish it within a day or two.

Getting more and more tempted to purchase it.

Where ya getting it for 22?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

Otacon wrote: »
    Can't link to it at work but I saw a tweet earlier along the lines of:

Gone Home - $20 - 1-2 hours - GOTY contender
    MGS:GZ - $30 - 2-6 hours - Paid demo, sucks, Konami is ripping us off!

Gone Home had plenty of detractors.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Where ya getting it for 22?

PSN US store.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Do trophies and saves earned on a us account carry over to my ireland account

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Here's the irony of the likes of a ten minute run - it probably takes hours to secure the knowledge of the level and mechanics to achieve that effortlessly. When someone gets a 20 minute completion of Ocarnia of Time, that accounts for hundreds of hours spent learning how to achieve that - it's not the way the game is supposed to be played. This is a game people are purposefully trying to break as if to prove a point (although remember the very person who made that Eurogamer video gave it an overwhelmingly positive review). Has anyone here ever played an MGS game - hell, any game - by just legging it to the main objective? It's always been a series about experimenting, exploring and even playing around with the mechanics and world. This seems to be no different, and in fact even offers a setting more open to exploring the nooks, crannies and possibilities.

Obviously no-one's obliged to spend money on this or think it's great value, that's absolutely your call (I personally would love more AAA games to strip away the fat and leave a lower price point). But this game clearly doesn't offer ten minutes of content, not even close - even the lowest estimates of a normal campaign run are about ten times that. If you want to get the most out of your money, then don't determinedly speedrun the thing to try and prove it was ripoff. If anything, the pricetag should be encouraging people to take their time and make the most out of it.

• Advertisement

• gizmo wrote: »
    It's worth pointing out that the same website which hosted that video also said this in its review...

As for whether you can finish it in that shorter amount of time, it doesn't mean you should. I mean, something like Gone Home can be cleared in a little over 10 minutes. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it though. ;)

:) I'm the King of dragging out my games where I can, again all depends on how much time I get to play in any given week :P
    Still sticking with a rent only for me. It's a pity about Konami's business decision on the pricing.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

So is this a segment lifted out of the final game like the tanker section from MGS2?

• So is this a segment lifted out of the final game like the tanker section from MGS2?

Nothing official from Konami to state this but it's obvious if it's a taster for next years game then take it as a yes.

So is this a segment lifted out of the final game like the tanker section from MGS2?

All me know is that it sets up The Phantom pain.
    I wouldn't be surprised if its included in the full game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

It depends what you mean by "lifted out of the final game" really. Ground Zeroes was announced back in 2012, before The Phantom Pain, as a precursor to the next full game in the series. While they were originally meant to be released together, work on the latter was delayed so they've been given a more staggered release.

When The Phantom Pain is released I assume there'll be a bundle of some sort for those folk who gave Ground Zeroes a miss but I highly doubt one would need to replay it in order to start the main campaign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

It's annoying I can't preorder it on the PSN store and just pre-load it like Steam.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Review should be based on quality, not the price and length at the end but unless the length negatively affects the quality it shouldn't be taken into account ( padding or rushed sections that could have been better).
    Mr Blobby wrote: »
    All me know is that it sets up The Phantom pain.
    I wouldn't be surprised if its included in the full game.

There would be war if it was included in the main game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Has anyone here played it yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

This game should have been no more then 15 or 20 euro....40 quid is taking the mick for what is a demo....2 hours of gameplay for that price is insulting.

jenjenten wrote: »
    This game should have been no more then 15 or 20 euro....40 quid is taking the mick for what is a demo....2 hours of gameplay for that price is insulting.

It can be bought on PSN (US store) for €22.. So you'd be very silly to pay €40.
    Also you're not going to finish everything in 2 hours when its your first playthrough.

And if you do then you're playing on easy with every help feature turned on.

jenjenten wrote: »
    It's going for around £22/23 in most places I've seen online.

Gamestop and Xtra-Vision seem to be selling it for €30 too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    It can be bought on PSN (US store) for €22.. So you'd be very silly to pay €40.
    Also you're not going to finish everything in 2 hours when its your first playthrough.

And if you do then you're playing on easy with every help feature turned on.

Have you played it?

• Here's the irony of the likes of a ten minute run - it probably takes hours to secure the knowledge of the level and mechanics to achieve that effortlessly. When someone gets a 20 minute completion of Ocarnia of Time, that accounts for hundreds of hours spent learning how to achieve that - it's not the way the game is supposed to be played. This is a game people are purposefully trying to break as if to prove a point (although remember the very person who made that Eurogamer video gave it an overwhelmingly positive review). Has anyone here ever played an MGS game - hell, any game - by just legging it to the main objective? It's always been a series about experimenting, exploring and even playing around with the mechanics and world. This seems to be no different, and in fact even offers a setting more open to exploring the nooks, crannies and possibilities.

Obviously no-one's obliged to spend money on this or think it's great value, that's absolutely your call (I personally would love more AAA games to strip away the fat and leave a lower price point). But this game clearly doesn't offer ten minutes of content, not even close - even the lowest estimates of a normal campaign run are about ten times that. If you want to get the most out of your money, then don't determinedly speedrun the thing to try and prove it was ripoff. If anything, the pricetag should be encouraging people to take their time and make the most out of it.
    The pricetag is the issue, you shouldnt have to just say 'hey **** it I accept that the content is limited sure here take my money anyway and I will make the best of what you provided me'.
    It's difficult to agree with Konami's decision to sell Ground Zeroes with such little content intact. you can bring the point about speed runs all you like but in a nutshell;

'MGSV's prologue is an accessible and intricately designed open-word mission, but one that offers too little for its asking price.'

And should be factored into its rating based on value.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

I'm going to be getting it regardless being a massive Metal Gear fan. Whats the price for the ps4 version is the digital version cheaper?

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    It's difficult to agree with Konami's decision to sell Ground Zeroes with such little content intact. you can bring the point about speed runs all you like but in a nutshell;
    'MGSV's prologue is an accessible and intricately designed open-word mission, but one that offers too little for its asking price.'

And should be factored into its rating based on value.
    In the context of the CVG review where that quote came from, I think it's fair to say it has. The only negatives listed focused on the length of the game yet it was rewarded a 7/10, one of the lower scores it received across various publications.

A more accurate description of the issue here is how much of an influence said length has on the score. From the reviews released so far it's fairly obvious that its importance varies from person to person and I suspect when more folk around here get their hands on it, we'll see wildly different opinions on it too.

• Advertisement

I'm going to be getting it regardless being a massive Metal Gear fan. Whats the price for the ps4 version is the digital version cheaper?

If you have a US Psn account you can get it for €22.
    Otherwise its €35 on the irish Psn store (I think)

• gizmo wrote: »
    In the context of the CVG review where that quote came from, I think it's fair to say it has. The only negatives listed focused on the length of the game yet it was rewarded a 7/10, one of the lower scores it received across various publications.

A more accurate description of the issue here is how much of an influence said length has on the score. From the reviews released so far it's fairly obvious that its importance varies from person to person and I suspect when more folk around here get their hands on it, we'll see wildly different opinions on it too.
    Yes, and this is where Eurogamer & CVG's differ, my original argument was that it was not factored into the verdict for Eurogamer when it should always have been. CVG considered this and gave it a fare score based on its content, the quality of said content and its value.

Yes, and this is where Eurogamer & CVG's differ, my original argument was that it was not factored into the verdict for Eurogamer when it should always have been. CVG considered this and gave it a fare score based on its content, the quality of said content and its value.

So whats your opinion on games like Journey or Gone home?
    Both were very short games yet also great fun.

As I said, each reviewer will have a different opinion on this. Martin Robinson over at Eurogamer probably felt that the game was worth every penny and was happy to, as he put it, dabble away at the game for over eight hours, continuously being surprised. I imagine there'll be plenty of folk around here who will feel the same way given their comments about the Tanker Mission from MGS2.

If anything, this is another reason why I view the text of a review to be far more important than the somewhat arbitrary numerical score attached at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭dor83

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    Has anyone here played it yet?

I've been playing it today, I completed the main mission in 101 mins but that didn't include the times I died and I think there are two shorter missions that unlock now that I have completed the main one, waiting for the credits to finish at the moment. I really enjoyed it, but I am a fan of the series anyway, and there is a lot more to do in it so I will play through it a few more times at least.

EDIT: Just finished the credits/cutscene and there are 4 side ops unlocked plus there is still one with ??? when I got to mission select.

• Mr Blobby wrote: »
    So whats your opinion on games like Journey or Gone home?
    Both were very short games yet also great fun.
    These are both Indie titles yes?
    Journey was 12.99 RRP when it launched, I don't have an opinion on it based on the fact I never played it or had any interest in playing it. Game could be completed in 3 hours by looking it up now?
    Never played Gone Home either and same as above didn't read anything about it either until now, an interactive story by the sounds of it for 20 euros.

Not sure what point your looking to make here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Downloaded this from the US psn store. played it for an hour. went away. turned the ps4 back on......and.....its gone. From both us and ireland accounts. Have to redownload???

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,414 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

dor83 wrote: »
    EDIT: Just finished the credits/cutscene and there are 4 side ops unlocked plus there is still one with ??? when I got to mission select.

That's the format exclusive mission, it's differnt on PS4 and XBox One. Heard the requirements for unlocking it are ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭dor83

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    That's the format exclusive mission, it's differnt on PS4 and XBox One. Heard the requirements for unlocking it are ridiculous.
    I've purposely read as little about it as I could so as not to ruin it so had no idea about the other missions, I know it's the same map but I'll play through all missions and the start over again on hard. I'll also go for a pure stealth run, no kills or alerts, so I reckon I will get a good bit of play time out of it. What are the exclusive missions?

• Advertisement

These are both Indie titles yes?
    Journey was 12.99 RRP when it launched, I don't have an opinion on it based on the fact I never played it or had any interest in playing it. Game could be completed in 3 hours by looking it up now?
    Never played Gone Home either and same as above didn't read anything about it either until now, an interactive story by the sounds of it for 20 euros.

Not sure what point your looking to make here?

Point being that you're complaining about MGS being overpriced and short.. When games like Journey and Gone home have even less content and are possible even shorter.

For example: I'll probably put this on the hardest settings with all assists turned off and try and play the game full stealth. Then when I'm done, i'll start again only I'll go full Rambo.. There should be at least 5 hours worth of content there and its only costing me €22.

I really don't see how its a rip off..

Advertisement