Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quick fix for leaky hotwater bottle?

• 05-02-2014 1:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭

So, I'm sick, my electric blanket has stopped working, and when I dug out a hot water bottle, the rubber seal on the stopper has perished.

Any ideas for a quick fix for tonight? I'm thinking about trying a wodge of clingfilm, but if anyone has any better ideas, please tell!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

no, just no.

cling film won't work , maybe it does but I wouldn't risk it, leaking hot water isn't fun

at best use the bottle to prewarm the bed and take it out before you get in

borrow one from a loved one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Clingfilm worked fine for last night, but if I summon enough energy I'll go buy a new hot water bottle shortly.

I folded the clingfilm about 6 or 7 times into a little square, slightly bigger than the washer on the stopper. Pressed the stopper down onto the square, then cut around the shape to essentially make a new clingfilm washer. 12 hours later it's still going strong, though I wouldn't reuse it.

There should be hot water bottle delivery services for when you're sick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Zcott wrote: »

I meant "delivered within 30 minutes", not 3-4 days. With luck, you wouldn't be still sick 3 or 4 days later (though I am :( )

A friend brought me a new hot water bottle the next day, but out of curiosity I left the original (with my clingfilm washer) in the bath with some kitchen roll under it. 36 hours later, still no leaks/drips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Thoie wrote: »
    A friend brought me a new hot water bottle the next day, but out of curiosity I left the original (with my clingfilm washer) in the bath with some kitchen roll under it. 36 hours later, still no leaks/drips.

Science says it's more likely to leak when hot

• Advertisement

Chet T16 wrote: »
    Science says it's more likely to leak when hot

Seeing as how that hot water bottle is now useless, and I have a replacement, I'm going to fill it with boiling water (for science!) and put it back in the bath.

It lasted the first night while hot. Obviously cold now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Thoie wrote: »
    Seeing as how that hot water bottle is now useless, and I have a replacement, I'm going to fill it with boiling water (for science!) and put it back in the bath.

It lasted the first night while hot. Obviously cold now.

:D

I'll post the peer reviewed results here ;)

Advertisement