Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No idea what to do?!?

Options
  • 05-02-2014 1:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi All :)

My story is as follows...Currently working as an assistant manager in a retail store. I have an Arts degree under my belt (Human Development & Geography), but I want to do something new!!

My problem is that I don't really know what I want to do. I'm posting this in the Post Grad Forum as doing a Post Grad is my current train of thought in this regard but I'm kind of lost as to what to do. I have a broad interest in alot of things but lack a keen interest in anything apart from football really :D

Does anyone recommend a really good course with decent job prospects? I've been looking at everything from Computer Science to Event Management but I think I need some guidance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

I'm kind of in your boat too! I have a background in web, currently working in a junior position. Though I enjoy it a little, I'm looking for something else.

Check out this report from Morgan McKinley. Very interesting read!

Would love to hear how you get on with your search!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Does anyone recommend a really good course with decent job prospects? I've been looking at everything from Computer Science to Event Management but I think I need some guidance!
    Doing a post-grad purely to enhance job prospects is almost always a complete waste of time and money. If there’s a subject you have a specific interest in and want to learn more about (and potentially work in a related area some day), then by all means investigate relevant courses.

But, by the sound of things, you have absolutely no idea what you want to do, so I don’t know what “guidance” you expect to receive here. I suggest you do a little more research into different careers.

Have you taken any career profiling tests or the like?
    They can prompt areas of interest.

I agree that doing a postgrad for the sake of doing one is a waste of time and money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

I have a broad interest in alot of things but lack a keen interest in anything apart from football really :D

Strange way of thinking......laughing off the one thing you admit to having a clear interest in. Maybe that's your problem, being so easily dismissive.

You don't need to be gifted with the talents of Messi to get involved in a career in the sporting industry ....if that's what truly interest you! A professional athlete's career is quite short lived anyway, they all end up restarting their careers in their mid to late thirties.

Do your research into sports related careers and those practitioners who work within the industry. Consideration should be taken from anything from a PE teacher, personal trainers, Managerial positions within gyms clubs, sportswear designers/manufacturing etc etc etc...the list goes on.

You need to start thinking outside the box a bit more.

Advertisement