Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegetarian / Vegan dogs

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

DBB wrote: »
    I also draw attention to the potential fall-out from using soy and its products as a protein source for carnivorous animals

Also bearing in mind that the mass production of soy has become very detrimental to the environment due to the deforestation of the rainforests to make way for soy fields. It's hardly an ethical cruelty free choice either for the animals wiped out in the forest clearance. Yes you can buy organic soy products and ensure it was grown in countries not deforesting to do so but you can guarantee the food companies don't use that soy because it's significantly more expensive than soy from the likes of Brazil

(Comment isn't aimed at DBB by the way :) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

DBB wrote: »
    the potential fall-out from using soy and its products as a protein source for carnivorous animals

+1 Soy is a banned substance in our house for anything that the dogs get because it affects thyroid function and it especially affects the absorption of Bailey's thyroid medicine.

Corn/maize also is a no-no because it has a negative affect on serotonin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

It's possible for dogs to survive on a vegetarian diet. I'm not sure about vegan though. Cats CANNOT survive on a veggie/vegan diet as they need Taurine to prevent blindness.

I wouldn't dream of feeding my dog a veggie diet though, even though he loves veg. He has canine teeth for a reason. And he loves hearts and liver too much to give them up! Personally, I think it's cruel to project vegetarian/vegan beliefs on to an animal.

Advertisement