Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Proof Running Jacket

Options
  • 05-02-2014 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭

Anyone got any recommendations for some water proof jogging jackets.

Have a jacket at the moment, but its not water proof and getting a bit of chaffing as a result. It would obviously have to be breathable to, don't want to be soaked in pent in sweat either!

Am heading Canada side in a few weeks also, would there be better value over there?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

I have a few jackets with varying degrees of waterproofness.
    The problem being, that the more waterproof the jacket is, the more it keeps your sweat inside, so you get wet inside anyway.

There are a few that are very expensive that are meant to be good, but I don't have any personal experience of them, such as OMM jackets.

Best I have is a Gore jacket, though I don't think its any of these listed on wiggle.

I've learned to accept getting wet to a certain extent, and its just a balancing act, price vs waterproof vs conditions.
    If wearing any jacket, I tend to wear a long sleeve top underneath to soak up the sweat rather than have my arms stuck to the inside of the jacket sleeves.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭dekbhoy

Anyone got any recommendations for some water proof jogging jackets.

Have a jacket at the moment, but its not water proof and getting a bit of chaffing as a result. It would obviously have to be breathable to, don't want to be soaked in pent in sweat either!

Am heading Canada side in a few weeks also, would there be better value over there?

Thanks

Thats a long distance to go to buy a jacket. Sure if you search eleverys sale rack or TK Max you would get a decent one for a decent price

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

Skin ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

You wont get anything even close to half decent for under 100e. I don't bother with them unless going for a really long slow run in the lashing rain and hence wont get my body temp up. Much bigger range in cycling jackets if you are looking

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

Depending on the temperature, and how heavy/continuous the rain is, a water resistant windshell may work better than something fully waterproof. OMM's Sonic smock is really good one. 62g in medium and packs very, very small, and into it's own collar.

For fully waterproof, I also have the OMM Kamleika and this works very well in downpours or consistent rain in cold or cool weather. 270g in M, but will get a little sticky inside in warmer weather. The stretch Gelanots fabric feels good and doesn't suffer the rustle of other fabrics, hydrostatic head is 10,000mm and breathability is 10,000g MVTR

For occasional use, it'll be hard to beat Rab's Pulse or the Montane Minimus, both of which use Pertex Shield+ fabric with 20,000mm HH and 20,000g MVTR and weigh in a little over 200g. Pertex Shield+ won't put up with a lot of wear and tear though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭inigo

lgk, if you had to choose one between omm and montane for long runs including trails and mountains, which one would it be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Can't comment on the montane but the OMM Kam is fantastic. Used it twice in the Art O'Neill and finished the race dry on both occasions. But it's a jacket that you'd be wearing from the start or else have it in a backpack for a casual run.

Inov8 have a newish range of rain shells, they also use Peterx. http://www.inov-8.com/New/Global/product-apparel-select-mens.asp?L=26&G=Male

inigo wrote: »
    lgk, if you had to choose one between omm and montane for long runs including trails and mountains, which one would it be?

I think for the added protection and robustness, the OMM wins, it's seen me through the WW Ultra in the snow last year, a few 24h Rogaines, mountain biking trips, etc. and is showing no signs of wear. The Montane is probably a better choice for shorter/faster activities or warmer days when you expect showers and want something more packable.

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Inov8 have a newish range of rain shells, they also use Peterx. http://www.inov-8.com/New/Global/product-apparel-select-mens.asp?L=26&G=Male

I've seen that one. Good reviews too.

Does anyone know of any shops in the Dublin area that stock any of the 3 (omm, montane, inov8)?

Does anyone know of any shops in the Dublin area that stock any of the 3 (omm, montane, inov8)?

Shops in Dublin, and Ireland in general, are very poor for this kind of gear. Basecamp used to stock OMM, but doesn't look like it anymore. Jackson Sports in Belfast stock OMM and Montane, but not the Inov8 jackets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

lgk wrote: »
    Shops in Dublin, and Ireland in general, are very poor for this kind of gear. Basecamp used to stock OMM, but doesn't look like it anymore. Jackson Sports in Belfast stock OMM and Montane, but not the Inov8 jackets.

If you want an inov8 jacket, your best bet is probably trying to see if someone who stocks the shoes is able to put in a specific jacket order for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Seen some Inov-8 jackets in 53 degrees, but didn't pay much attention to them.

Those of you who have the omm smock, can you comment on size please? Im trying to decide which should be my size, S or M. I'm 5"9 (175cm). When commenting on the omm race kit, this guy says: "The leg, arm, and torso lengths were still plenty long for my 6’0” (183-cm) frame." He was wearing an M but I thought I was an M...

Those of you who have the omm smock, can you comment on size please? ...

I'm a similar height to you, the M is good on me.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I have a haglofs oz pullover in goretex paclite, think I got it in 53 degrees sale a few years back. Nice and practical and very light.
    Seldom find I need it in for runs Ireland, but it's good to have available and comes in handy for walks and heading off for the day etc as it packs up so small.

The big difference I've found between it and the others listed above is that the hood adjustment works really well, it's looks weird, but it adjusts the hood to hold the crown of your head so it stays on and also let's you turn your head. Unlike the vast majority of hoods around.

http://www.johnlaughlin.co.uk/2009/12/haglofs-oz-pullover-jacket-review/

Advertisement