Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City Centre Parking - suggestions needed.

Options
  • 05-02-2014 11:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

Could someone advise where there is to park in Galway city centre that is somewhat reasonable or better still, free.

I hear mixed reviews about the Headford Road shopping centre car park, some says it's free and others say it's not free anymore.

Are there any car parks that have a flat rate for the day as opposed to hourly rates.

I usually use the multi-storey behind the bus station/Park House Hotel but it costs a small fortune.

I come from the Sligo side, so something along the Headford road side of approach.

Any recommendations appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Could someone advise where there is to park in Galway city centre that is somewhat reasonable or better still, free.

I hear mixed reviews about the Headford Road shopping centre car park, some says it's free and others say it's not free anymore.

There is a high chance you will be clamped if you park in the headford road centre all day. The maximum wait time is 3 hours i think and there is an attendent going round entering all reg plates into a database and he circles back regularly to check the cars.

The cathedral is a good spot for €4 all day

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Dyke Rd (entrance just past GSC) is also €4 per day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

antoobrien wrote: »
    Dyke Rd (entrance just past GSC) is also €4 per day

GSC? :)

Somebody else told me about a College Road car park for €4 per day? Showgrounds or something, is that the dog racing track on College road before you come to the bus station or am I way off?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

GSC? :)

Galway shopping centre, aka the aforementioned Headford Road Shopping Centre. The dyke road carpark is behind is behind the omniplex.
    Somebody else told me about a College Road car park for €4 per day? Showgrounds or something, is that the dog racing track on College road before you come to the bus station or am I way off?

Yes it is. You have plenty of options for €4 a day parking if you don't mind a little walk so no need to risk getting clamped.

• Advertisement

zarquon wrote: »
    Galway shopping centre, aka the aforementioned Headford Road Shopping Centre. The dyke road carpark is behind is behind the omniplex.

Yes it is. You have plenty of options for €4 a day parking if you don't mind a little walk so no need to risk getting clamped.

Oh sorry, thanks. So would I just drive down the Headford Road where Cuirt na Coirbe is on the right and the shopping centre is on the left, where do I turn off. All I visualise with Galway is crazy ass roundabouts. I'm a relatively new driver. My sister drove up until this.

zarquon wrote: »

Is the car park obvious? I have gone down that road so many times on the way to my usual multi storey but I never spotted it and I think I would have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

The roundabout at Headford Road is gone now. You come up to the new junction with GSC just past it on your left, go straight through it, so with GSC on your left you pass it, Currys, McD's, the Omniplex etc are on your right. Just after that area on your right is Dyke Road carpark, you turn right into it.

The roundabout at Headford Road is gone now. You come up to the new junction with GSC just past it on your left, go straight through it, so with GSC on your left you pass it, Currys, McD's, the Omniplex etc are on your right. Just after that area on your right is Dyke Road carpark, you turn right into it.

Super thanks. In your opinion is that closer to the Shop Street area than the College Road car park? I don't mind walking at all but I don't want to be a drowned rat for the day either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

Super thanks. In your opinion is that closer to the Shop Street area than the College Road car park? I don't mind walking at all but I don't want to be a drowned rat for the day either.

I think it's closer than by the dog track yeah. I've never parked in College Road, I just always went towards the other side for parking, due to a long walk home from the city centre to GMIT in my first week of college I have a mental block against College Road :P I always parked in Dyke Road when I worked just off Shop St, within a few steps you're at Woodquay and Eglinton St/Shop St are just around the corner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

College Road can be a battlefield to get out of. Headford Road is a better option, even at peak times.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Map of all car-parking option in Galway City:
    http://www.galwaytransport.info/2008/12/car-parks-in-galway-city-map-below.html

(Actually, I just realised that there's one missing .. the new private one on the Headford Rd that we aren't sure has planning or not.)

OP, it would be madness to try anything other than the Dyke Rd, given where you're coming from. Keep an umbrella in the car, and be prepared to wait 5-10 minutes if you arrive in the middle of a downpour.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

There are a few places that open car parks at the weekend. The school across the road from the market is probably the handiest in terms of location.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Are there any car parks that have a flat rate for the day as opposed to hourly rates.

I usually use the multi-storey behind the bus station/Park House Hotel but it costs a small fortune.

I come from the Sligo side, so something along the Headford road side of approach.

Any recommendations appreciated.

I'm almost sure that you can buy a weekly or monthly parking ticket for the Fairgreen Car Park (the one behind the station / Park Hotel). It works out at a fraction of the cost of paying hourly.

Advertisement