Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving from Analog system to VoIP, what do I need to do?

Options
  • 05-02-2014 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,
    I work for a company of 35 staff and currently we have a conventional analog phone system. The phone system has a number of PSTN lines and number of ISDN channels. We also carry a number of DDI numbers this system also.

We want to move to an IP system for both our internal and external calls. There are a number of things we are unsure of and I hope someone may be able to share their expertise with us.

Here are my top level questions

- If some or potentially all the 35 staff what a physical phone/device external to their PC, do I need to double up on all my infrastructure both CAT6 and switch's?
    - Does VOIP need special switch technology?
    - Do you recommend that we have a dedicated broadband for VOIP?
    - If the answer to the last is yes, this will mean we need a separate network for VOIP correct?
    - If VOIP is on its separate network how might I allow certain users to use VOIP on their PCs(soft phone), must they VPN?
    - Also how easy is it to switch or port or PSTN and DDI numbers to the VOIP provider?
    - Do you recommend any VOIP providers?

If anyone can help we would really appreciate it. Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

I have edited the title of the thread, it was originally set to 'Moving from VoIP to Analog', I presume you meant the other way around based on the rest of your post.
    Hi all,
    I work for a company of 35 staff and currently we have a conventional analog phone system. The phone system has a number of PSTN lines and number of ISDN channels. We also carry a number of DDI numbers this system also.

We want to move to an IP system for both our internal and external calls. There are a number of things we are unsure of and I hope someone may be able to share their expertise with us.

Have a look at FreePBX. Very easy to configure, and is basically an Asterisk distro with a user interface, as well as community and paid support if you need it. This can run on a server or a spare pc connected to the network, ideally in a secure place, such as a server room.

- If some or potentially all the 35 staff what a physical phone/device external to their PC, do I need to double up on all my infrastructure both CAT6 and switch's?

If you want to move to an IP system, all staff need is an IP Phone, or if you wish to use a softphone on a computer then a headset and software, such as 3CXPhone.

No. Some put voice into a seperate VLAN for security, but for existing environments you can encrypt the connections between the IP Phones and the PBX, and from the PBX to the provider, so calls cannot be listened to from computers on the same LAN. You can setup encryption from without FreePBX, and then configure SRTP on the phones.

It depends. What speeds are you getting with your current provider? How many concurrent calls are you making at any one time?

You can always set up QoS, but it would be nice to have a seperate connection for VoIP if budget allows for it. For a small business on a 10Mb connection making 2 concurrent calls, there is no need. If you have a second connection, you can connect a second network card into the back to the system running Asterisk, and set that card as the default. Network phones can connect through the other network card.
    - If the answer to the last is yes, this will mean we need a separate network for VOIP correct?

There is no need. If the office is already networked, you can connect IP Phones where the analogue phones were originally. In other words, you can use the existing IP infrastructure. If you get a second connection solely for VoIP, that pbx can be connected to the modem, and on another network card can be connected to the existing network. Please remember to use encryption and lock extensions to fixed ips (both of which can be done through FreePBX).
    - If VOIP is on its separate network how might I allow certain users to use VOIP on their PCs(soft phone), must they VPN?

This is a tricky one. VoIP sometimes doesn't work well over a VPN. You can forward the required ports (and change the default SIP port to something other than 5060 or 5061). FreePBX has Fail2Ban enabled automatically, and you can lock this down further. If users are connecting from another location and have a static ip at that location, you can forward ports from your router to the PBX for that static ip.
    - Also how easy is it to switch or port or PSTN and DDI numbers to the VOIP provider?

Porting regular PSTN lines takes 24-48 hours on a weekday. ISDN's and DDIs can take 2 weeks. Your provider will be able to tell you in advance when the lines are due to go over, and it should be pretty seamless.

I recommend Digiweb- No monthly line rental, just pay for the calls you make, as well as a 24/7 NOC. I find them very good to deal with.

You could try Goldfish, Blueface etc. as well. Keep in mind BF usually include a 12 month contract and lock down their hardware.

This might be of help

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=250586

Do shout if you have any other questions.

What is your budget for this? This is something to bear in mind when purchasing equipment etc, but remembering the benefits of using a VoIP system can be quite extensive, as well as the cost savings.

Regarding softphones, you can access the pbx from within the same lan (if you use 2 network cards as mentioned above) without a vpn. If you wish to access it from outside, please keep in mind the security risk as businesses have had their systems hacked and Comreg have issued warned on numerous occasions. You should always use strong passwords, SRTP encryption and lock to ip addresses from within which should leave you secure. Forwarding ports from your firewall can open up a can of worms, and this only need be done if you wish to access it remotely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 johnnytweets

MR. G,
    Thank you so much. This is a fantastic answer, very detailed. I can see your expertise shining through. This gives us a great starting point. If I may I might follow up with some further questions in the next couple of days.

I have been spending the last number of days calling VOIP providers and collecting lots of information. I may ask for your opinion on some of the conclusions we have made from these communications.

Thanks again.

JOhnny

MR. G,
    Thank you so much. This is a fantastic answer, very detailed. I can see your expertise shining through. This gives us a great starting point. If I may I might follow up with some further questions in the next couple of days.

I have been spending the last number of days calling VOIP providers and collecting lots of information. I may ask for your opinion on some of the conclusions we have made from these communications.

Thanks again.

JOhnny

No hassle at all, ask away :)

If you have a monitored alarm or card machine that relys on a land line keep this in mind when porting lines. Monitored alarms can work with VoIP regardless of what your alarm company will tell you.

Hope this helps

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 SJP0209

You should Contact Goldfish.ie they are offering 2 solutions - No contract on both.. I think one is called Cloud Call something to do with a rental scheme- I have recently signed up to them for 10 users but I purchased new hardware with them as my own was locked down.

I was with another VOIP provider but the contract was up and I did not want to commit to another 12 months as I was unhappy with the level of support available.

Have to say it was very easy to switch.

Cheers, SJ.

Hi all,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭MLC61

Hi all,

Given that you currently have ISDN etc it is likely that your existing system is a digital system rather than analogue. In terms of ISDN lines - what do you have?
    You have the option of a hybrid solution where you could twin a hosted solution with your existing system. That way you retain the benefit of the investment in the existing system, including the handsets, and use the hosted system for the nice to have's.
    Either way, do not consider porting your lines onto SIP until you have had at least six months trouble free use of whatever solution you choose.

Advertisement