Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, tube strike huh?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Sad News, RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

I didn't agree with the man's politics, but nobody deserves to bow out at just 52 years old. Virtually unheard of these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Well, that was fun!

I have since started a job in Southwark Street but again I didn't think I would be effected much by this industrial action as I find the train/bus combo more convenient than the tube.

Ha ha, this morning was an experience. I usually skip the 07.28 train in favour of the 07.31 as it's less busy and there's room to open a newspaper properly. 07.31 was cancelled!

The 07.38 it was then. No chance of getting a seat, boo-hoo. I felt genuinely bad for people who live closer to London on that line e.g. Illford, Forest Gate etc. as the train did not stop because it was too packed. Anyway, I made it in for 08.28 only about 10 minutes later than usual (although feeling genuinely tired), but still on time!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I'm still on my way to work!
    3 busses didn't show up, 1 drove by as it was too full, one Out of Service.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Ran to work in 35 minutes this morning, enjoying my coffee now.

*smugface*

• Advertisement

I cycle to work, but jaysis, today was some challenge - the traffic, both cyclic and conventional, was unbelievable. Honestly had no idea what was going on until I got into work, clicked on the BBC website, saw the headlines about the tube strike and the penny dropped.

And by Christ, there are some people on bikes in this city who are a serious danger to themselves and others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Took me three buses and almost two hours to get to Marylebone (missing two trains as a result). Fun times.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

My alarm didn't go off so I slept it out, most of the traffic was gone by the time I set off (I was driving from South to North London).

Seen some photos of the chaos this morning, its hard enough getting to work at the best of times, but faced with the strike some people are having a real struggle.
    djpbarry wrote: »
    And by Christ, there are some people on bikes in this city who are a serious danger to themselves and others.

As a motorist and a cyclist, I completely agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Bakerloo got me into work 10 mins early & was only about half full.

*super-smug face*

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

My boss picked me up outside my house in his fancy car.

*super-super-smug face*

(I might not feel so smug attempting to get home later though!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Took me an hour and a half in a taxi for what is usually a 45 minute journey. The driver was really struggling with the amount of cyclists on the road, especially the cyclists who obviously don't cycle during rush hour in central London regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I'm just waiting for some parts for my motorbike which hopefully arrived today. Ill fix it tonight and then wont have to worry about the stupid strike. It picked a bad week to break.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

My bus from tufnell park to Camden which normally takes maybe 15 minutes took 40 this morning. Two drove by before I got on. All in all it took me an hour and a half to get to grosvenor square. I got on a bus from oxford street home at 4.50 and just got off now at tufnell park. I probably would have been quicker walking to and from Camden and just getting the tube but I'm still a newbie and don't quite know my way yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Bethnal Green station was closed so went to Mile End (five minute longer journey than if I go to Bethnal Green)..central line was running every four minutes east, no crowds, regular tubes....great for me but a bit irritating because the website still said there were no east bound services... got a coffee tho and dragged the backside out of getting to work :)

Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    My bus from tufnell park to Camden which normally takes maybe 15 minutes took 40 this morning. Two drove by before I got on. All in all it took me an hour and a half to get to grosvenor square. I got on a bus from oxford street home at 4.50 and just got off now at tufnell park. I probably would have been quicker walking to and from Camden and just getting the tube but I'm still a newbie and don't quite know my way yet!
    Never mind to and from Camden, you'd have been quicker just walking to Grosvenor Square!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

The 433 bus was jammed and took an extra 10mins to get to Liverpool street. Got the slightly later train home than I prefer. Back to Romford by 17.24, only really 10mins later than usual. All in all, I've been delayed by a sum total of 20mins today. After seeing some of the pictures of others' hellish days, you won't hear the slightest complaint from me - did you see the pics from stratford?!?!?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

Easy journey home last night, was waiting about 5 mins at Green Park for the Jubilee, but then it skipped Swiss Cottage and St John's Wood stations so it made up the time.

This morning was grand too, waited a bit longer at West Hampstead but the journey was fine and the carriage was not crowded. I've been very lucky so far during this strike :)

Advertisement