Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to return to eduction from Oz, Need Help!

Options
  • 05-02-2014 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Here are the facts -
    • I am Irish born and have completed my leaving cert in 2006.
    • I attended an I.T. in '06 but failed my first year exams.
    • I have been working since 2008, until i left for Australia in Oct 2010.
    • I returned to Ireland in June 2012 and signed on for social welfare for 6 weeks to 2 months while home. After this period my partner and i decided to return to Australia.
    • I am currently in Australia and have been in total, 3 years and 3 months.
    I have been researching and applied for full time courses through the CAO and hoped to start in Sept 2014. But with the current rules on BTEA and grants, I believe I am to late and going to need a miracle to fund my fee's and living costs in Dublin where i aim to study. As an unskilled worker i have been surviving here in Oz but am in no way able to support myself in full time education.

If i returned as soon as possible to Ireland -

Will i qualify for welfare, any grants or rent allowance in either full time or part time study?

Thanks for you time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 arms_n_legs

Anybody any info?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The problem is in order to be eligible for fees or grants you have to be residentbin Ireland for three of the last 5 years.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

On the current info it doesn't look likely that you would get funding for this Sept.

For free tuition fees you need to be able to prove that you lived in the EU for 3 out of the last 5 years.

To get the maintenance grant / registration fee grant you need to be able to prove that you lived in Ireland for 3 out of the last 5 years.

To get BTEA you need to have 234 signing days built up on a payment like Jobseekers Benefit or Allowance and be in receipt of a payment immediately before starting the course.

It doesn't look as if you would have the 3 out of 5 years in Ireland /EU to be eligible for the free tuition fees or the grant even if you did come home now.

For BTEA purposes, say you returned home and started claiming Jobseekers from the 1st of March you would only have 174 signing days (i think) on the payment before the 1st of September which means you wouldn't be eligible for BTEA.

Maybe double check this with SUSI on their boards forum.http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1610

Advertisement