Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Massive Australian Precambrian/Cambrian Impact Structure

Options
  • 05-02-2014 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭

MAPCIS

http://usciencesblogs.typepad.com/2010winterbulletin/2010/04/making-an-impact.html

I've only seen this recently and want to see what ye all think? Absolutely amazing stuff if it were to ever be confirmed. Talking of a Asteroid about approx. 50-90km(?) wide impacting earth. Would sorta undermine the stigma of asteroids maxing out at 10-15km as the biggest since the late heavy bombardment.

Thoughts? What do you think an impact this big would hypothetically do to earth? Just become a big pool of mantle worldwide?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

That article mentions an impact shock zone of 80km which would make it the second larbgest in OZ after thbe 120km one mentioned in the article which was produced by a 12-15km asteroid it says. So the article doesn't undermine anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Ah yes. My mistake, I got different articles confused. I fixed the link above.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Because Australia is a comparatively old continent in geological terms it only makes sense that it has a better record of impact structures than other places.

Advertisement