Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8 euro for a new debit card, what a joke

Options
  • 05-02-2014 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭

had to order a new visa debit card the other day as the one i have keeps failing on me. Why are the cards such bad quality that they have to be replaced all the time and how on earth can it cost 8 euro for a piece of plastic. FYI i wasnt made aware that i would be charged 8 euro by the cashier either

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Billy

Hi JAMM222, 

Thanks for posting. 

We're sorry to hear you've been inconvenienced by this and will pass your comments regarding the quality of the cards to the Card Production Team. 

You should have been advised upfront of the replacement fee for a Visa Debit Card. Should you wish to discuss this with the branch; you can find a full list of branch contact numbers here

Thanks

Billy

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭JAMM222

Hi JAMM222, 

Thanks for posting. 

We're sorry to hear you've been inconvenienced by this and will pass your comments regarding the quality of the cards to the Card Production Team. 

You should have been advised upfront of the replacement fee for a Visa Debit Card. Should you wish to discuss this with the branch; you can find a full list of branch contact numbers here

Thanks

Billy
    so are you saying that i should have been told by the cashier?
    i still dont understand why i have to pay 8 euro for a piece of plastic?
    why is it so expensive? must be a huge mark up on this for bank of ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

You shouldnt have to pay a fee if the card is faulty. My BofI card had to be replaced 3 times within 9 months. The visa debit cards are rubbish quality, and simply stopped working. I never had to pay the replacement fee, which should only be applied if you lose or damage the card yourself.

You shouldnt have to pay a fee if the card is faulty. My BofI card had to be replaced 3 times within 9 months. The visa debit cards are rubbish quality, and simply stopped working. I never had to pay the replacement fee, which should only be applied if you lose or damage the card yourself.
    actually you are dead right, why should i have to pay a fee?

You shoudnt. Demand the money be refunded. I had 3 cards replaced due to them failing.

• Advertisement

can you advise me how to get a refund for this? ringing 365 is not the answer cos this will probably cost me more than 8 euro
    Hi JAMM222, 

Thanks for posting. 

Thanks
    Billy

JAMM222 wrote: »
    Hi JAMM222, 

Thanks for posting. 

Thanks

Billy
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Hi JAMM222, [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]While staff are encouraged to remind customers of fees, the fee is stated in our Schedule of Fees and Charges brochure. If you feel the card was faulty and you should not have been charged, please call your branch and speak with a Customer Advisor.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Thanks[/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Billy[/font]

Hi JAMM222, 

Thanks for posting. 

Thanks

Billy
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]While staff are encouraged to remind customers of fees, the fee is stated in our Schedule of Fees and Charges brochure. If you feel the card was faulty and you should not have been charged, please call your branch and speak with a Customer Advisor.[/font]

doesnt answer my question about why they are so expensive?
    also i feel like you are trying to pull the wool over my eyes, if i hadnt complained here i would have been charged 8 euro for nothing, how many other customers are being treated like this?

Hi JAMM222, 

Thanks for posting. 

Thanks

Billy

doesnt answer my question about why they are so expensive?
    also i feel like you are trying to pull the wool over my eyes, if i hadnt complained here i would have been charged 8 euro for nothing, how many other customers are being treated like this?
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]We cannot comment on why a particular figure is decided upon for a fee although it does cover production and distribution costs. [/font]

Hi JAMM222, 

Thanks for posting. 

Thanks

Billy

why should i have to pay for this call? its not my fault i was charged in error so why should i have to pay to get a refund?

• Advertisement

Hi JAMM222, 

Thanks for posting. 

Thanks

Billy

why should i have to pay for this call? its not my fault i was charged in error so why should i have to pay to get a refund?
    If you would like to send a PM with your full name, account holding branch and a contact number, we will arrange for your branch to call you. Please do not include bank details on the PM. 

Thanks

Billy

Rang and complained and they are refunding the money. If I hadn't complained I wouldn't have gotten the money back. My advice to everyone is to keep a very very close eye on your bank account.

They're chancers. It was obvious from your opening post that the card was faulty yet the BofI rep never mentioned the fact that you shouldn't have had to pay. It was only when it was brought to their attention by me that they said "if you feel your card was faulty" etc.

I switched to tsb months ago. Best thing I ever did. Was paying approx 50 per quarter in transaction fees. Now have completely free banking. 

Advertisement