Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't write to hard drive connected to a router

Options
  • 05-02-2014 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right place to post, but anyway....
    I've attached a hard drive to my router so we can access it wirelessly around the house using different devices.
    I can watch items no problem but cannot copy to or delete from the hard drive remotely .
    I checked the properties & they're listed as read/write so that seems ok.
    Would anyone have any ideas as to why the drive is giving an 'access denied' message.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

You probably would need to reformat the HDD to either FAT32 or a linux format (XFS or EXT3) to get read/write access. With alot of routers, if the HDD is formatted to NTFS it will be read only.
    Best to check what format you need with the route manufacturer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

davo2001 wrote: »
    You probably would need to reformat the HDD to either FAT32 or a linux format (XFS or EXT3) to get read/write access. With alot of routers, if the HDD is formatted to NTFS it will be read only.
    Best to check what format you need with the route manufacturer.

Thanks for that. The HDD is currently formatted as ntfs. Might copy everything off it it & give it a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

If it's able to read I don't think the file system would be the issue, it's probably a permissions issue. Stick it into a windows machine, right click on drive > Properties > Security and make sure the USER group has write access to the device, I think that should probably do the trick, might need to add a root user and do the same for that though I guess that depends on the model?

Viper_JB wrote: »
    If it's able to read I don't think the file system would be the issue, it's probably a permissions issue. Stick it into a windows machine, right click on drive > Properties > Security and make sure the USER group has write access to the device, I think that should probably do the trick, might need to add a root user and do the same for that though I guess that depends on the model?

I changed the permissions but it made no difference, still read only.

jgbyr wrote: »
    I changed the permissions but it made no difference, still read only.

Because the issue is the file format, not the permissions. I work for a major router manufacturer and this is normal.

• Advertisement

Because the issue is the file format, not the permissions. I work for a major router manufacturer and this is normal.

So do I need to reformat to fat32 to be able to write to the disk remotely?
    I thought ntfs was a more modern file format.

jgbyr wrote: »
    So do I need to reformat to fat32 to be able to write to the disk remotely?
    I thought ntfs was a more modern file format.

For Windows it is, but your router does not run on Windows.

For Windows it is, but your router does not run on Windows.

Thanks, a reformat it is so if I want to write to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

Fat32 has a file size limit of 4GB

Fat32 has a file size limit of 4GB

Should be ok as the max individual file size would be 1GB.

• Advertisement
Advertisement