Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

do i have any options?

Options
  • 05-02-2014 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭

Hi

I am 28 and have been made unemployed 16 of january.I am trying to my best to find a new job,and its killing me sitting home doing nothing. I am more and more thinking about getting better education.
    I have worked as a builder my whole life and never attended any education after leaving cert.
    I was thinking going to college as mature student,and getting BTEA. But after reading t&c i am not eligeble, as i have to be on jobseekers benefit for 9 months before i start course.
    Other option would be to get grant,but grant alone won't be enough(i think) to survive and feed my family.
    There is 3 of us in my family.My wife,me and 5 year old.Wife only works part time,her income only 200/week.So there is no way i can pay more than 50/week for my education.

Is there any way getting educated on budget?

p.s.i am based in south east

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Contact your local ETB (VEC).

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

I was in similar circumstances around this time last year. I've applied through the CAO for courses starting in September this year.
    Going to open days and speaking to staff/students from courses you're interested in is a great place to start. A recurring theme I noticed is that they would expect that applying for a degree course is part of your journey to further education rather than the 1st step. I know it seems like ages away but you have the opportunity now to prepare really well to start a degree in 2015. 3/4 years is a huge commitment and they'll want to see that you've researched and prepared thoroughly.
    I'd recommend doing some fetac courses; maybe some leaving cert subjects if you didn't do them before or feel you could of done better and they are relevant to the area that you wish to pursue. Get the course handbooks, see which modules interest you and maybe you even see in on a lecture or two.
    I'm no expert but I think with BTEA the 9 months of unemployment can be spread over a couple of years before the course starts but you must be getting a payment immediately before the course starts.
    I'm not sure in your area but here in Dublin I'm applying for the access courses too, you should see if there's any available to you.

Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 findersteve

https://www.springboardcourses.ie/

They have many options . I returned from Australia and I did a course in UCD in business. I just finished recently and i highly recommend. I spent most of my life in the construction trade also
    Anything else you need to know PM me
    Steve

Advertisement