Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest airliner Dub-NY

Options
  • 05-02-2014 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hey i'm doing a J1 and am booking my fights at the moment, I was wondering what is the best airliner to book with (cheapest).

So far united airlines are coming up trumps at €500.

Does anyone know if they a good to fly with?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

DunnyJ92 wrote: »
    Hey i'm doing a J1 and am booking my fights at the moment, I was wondering what is the best airliner to book with (cheapest).

So far united airlines are coming up trumps at €500.

Does anyone know if they a good to fly with?

Thanks

Google, google flights. It's great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

The best airline and the cheapest are not quite the same. However on the DUB - NY route there is no real difference between the carriers. The American carriers can often be cheaper but the service is pretty basic and the aircraft often ancient. Aer Lingus has a (slightly)better service with relatively new aircraft but they can be very pricey.

Check out skyscanner.ie for price comparison and it helps to be flexible with dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 111 ✭✭RonnieRocket

veetwin wrote: »
    However on the DUB - NY route there is no real difference between the carriers.

This is simply false. I fly frequently to America, often connecting in New York, and have found a huge difference between carriers.
    US Airways are the worst. They fly to LaGuardia and there is no back-seat entertainment making it a long boring flight. Their planes are ancient.

Delta do provide back seat entertainment and have an impressive selection of movies, music, games and TV shows. They fly into JFK which is handy for getting into Manhattan using the airtrain and the LIRR.

Aer Lingus are grand too but as mentioned they follow the good ol' Irish tradition of ripping you off. You can get a flight to NY for under €500 easily if you're willing to have one or two layovers.

This is simply false. I fly frequently to America, often connecting in New York, and have found a huge difference between carriers.
    US Airways are the worst. They fly to LaGuardia and there is no back-seat entertainment making it a long boring flight. Their planes are ancient.

You obviously don't fly that frequently otherwise you would know that there are no flights between DUB and LaGuardia. I was assuming the OP would not be basing their decision on seat back entertainment. Again frequent travellers would by and large have their own tablet/iPad for inflight entertainment anyway.

• Advertisement

You obviously don't fly that frequently otherwise you would know that there are no flights between DUB and LaGuardia. I was assuming the OP would not be basing their decision on seat back entertainment. Again frequent travellers would by and large have their own tablet/iPad for inflight entertainment anyway.

There are no US Airways flights from DUB to New York full stop. If you want to fly with them to New York, you will fly to LaGuardia, connecting via PHL usually.
    What criteria do you base your decision on when choosing an airline out of interest?

There are no US Airways flights from DUB to New York full stop. If you want to fly with them to New York, you will fly to LaGuardia, connecting via PHL usually.
    What criteria do you base your decision on when choosing an airline out of interest?

Why would anybody want to fly to PHL to go to NY? It would want to be seriously cheap to even consider ahead of the direct carriers given the extra time involved.

Main criteria on DUB-NY would be price/timings. Flight is not really long haul and definitely not worth paying a premium for bells and whistles service. I stand by my original statement in saying that there is no real difference between the carriers on this route.

Main criteria on DUB-NY would be price/timings. Flight is not really long haul and definitely not worth paying a premium for bells and whistles service. I stand by my original statement in saying that there is no real difference between the carriers on this route.

Wrong again.

Dublin to New York direct is about 7hr 30m flight time so is most definitely long haul.
    Short-haul flight: <3 hours
    Medium-haul flight: 3 to 6 hours
    Long-haul flight: >6 hours
    Ultra Long-haul flight: >12 hours

To say that all the carriers are the same on the DUB-NY route is factually incorrect. In-flight entertainment, seat pitch, beverage service etc are all different depending on your airline. I'm not sure what you have to gain by spreading lies and misinformation.

OP: go with Delta. They're relatively cheap and offer and decent product.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

is that single or return

direct flights

finair 554

aerlingus 588

us airways 604

klm 614

operated by American or delta except for aerlingus flight

you can buy indirect flights cheaper

to get into usa you need a return flight or they will likely refuse you even with a visa

To say that all the carriers are the same on the DUB-NY route is factually incorrect. In-flight entertainment, seat pitch, beverage service etc are all different depending on your airline. I'm not sure what you have to gain by spreading lies and misinformation.

OP: go with Delta. They're relatively cheap and offer and decent product.

And if Delta are say €200 more expensive on the OP's dates does this advice still stand?

The main carriers on the DUB NY route are Aer Lingus, United and Delta. All have roughly 31 inch seat pitch, personal tv and a limited beverage service if that really matters. Aer Lingus would be perceived as slightly better but there is no real reason to pay a premium to fly with one over the other and most travellers would go with the cheapest unless maybe they want to collect air miles.

Can you point out where I spread lies and misinformation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

Anyone have experience flying transatlantic with British Airways or Iberia?

And if Delta are say €200 more expensive on the OP's dates does this advice still stand?

Obviously if Delta are €200 more expensive I wouldn't recommend flying with them. But it's a moot point because they aren't that much more expensive than their rivals.
    The main carriers on the DUB NY route are Aer Lingus, United and Delta. All have roughly 31 inch seat pitch, personal tv and a limited beverage service if that really matters. Aer Lingus would be perceived as slightly better but there is no real reason to pay a premium to fly with one over the other and most travellers would go with the cheapest unless maybe they want to collect air miles.

Wrong. American Airlines also flies direct from DUB-JFK.
    The carriers also use different planes. Delta will use a Boeing 767 while Aer Lingus use an Airbus. Frequent fliers will know that seat configuration can differ between 2-3-2 or 2-4-2. Leg room is different depending on the plane model etc. How anyone can claim that there is no difference between the carriers is ignorant. Not everybody has an interest in aviation and all planes look alike to them, which is fine, but to spread misinformation is bad form.
    Can you point out where I spread lies and misinformation?

You said Dublin to New York "wasn't really long haul." I pointed out that it is classified as long haul due to the length of the flight being over 6 hours.
    I doubt the OP is interested in reading about how you're wrong though so I did a quick search for him. Since he is going on a j1, I presume he'll be flying out at the end of May and returning at the end of August. Air Canada are the cheapest with a stopover in Toronto. Personally, the difference in price isn't worth it in my opinion and I'd fly direct with Delta.

flights.jpg

@ RonnieRocket; You have now accused me of lying, spreading misinformation and being ignorant. In six years on boards.ie this is the first time I have been accused of any of these.

This thread and your contribution IMHO goes against the ethos of the Travel forum and ends my involvement here.

Veetwin

@veetwin : Don't be a martyr.
    You said Dublin-New York wasn't long haul. I corrected you.
    You said only Delta, Aer Lingus and United fly direct to NY from Dublin. I corrected you.
    You said there is no difference between the main carriers. I corrected you.

This is spreading lies and misinformation. However, I never labelled you personally as a liar or ignorant. Read the posts again so I kindly ask you to withdraw that accusation.
    I've made genuine attempts to help the OP in his query and gave solid advice. I'm an active member on airliners.net and flyertalk.com forums so I know my stuff.

Advertisement