Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

wavy brake discs

• 05-02-2014 5:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭

Hi. Ive decided to change the discs on my Hornet. My mechanic reckons wavy discs will improve the braking as oposed fo standard ones. Is this true or not? Also some other friends pointed that they are weaker than standard discs and crack more often. Which statement is true if any, and what is youre take on wavy discs?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

The serrated edges on "wavy" discs have no beneficial effect whatsoever on brake performance. They originated on off-roaders to assist in flinging muck away, and were migrated to sportsbikes as a fashion statement, largely by the Chinese.

Pads are most effectively scraped by a set of grooves running at an oblique angle from the inside to the outside of the rotors. Weight is saved by the gaps in the middle of the rotor, and, in the case of modern full-floaters, constructing the centre carrier of aluminium or similar light alloy. The serrated edges are about as much use as Katie Price's tits, and serve the same purpose.

The ultimate aftermarket performance brake discs in the Universe are made by PFM in the U.K. They use a ductile iron rotor on a light-alloy carrier. Go hither:

http://www.thestopshop.co.uk/shop.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Do you have standard brake lines or aftermarket ones? This would be the first thing to upgrade to get better braking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭szatan84

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Do you have standard brake lines or aftermarket ones? This would be the first thing to upgrade to get better braking.
    She's getting HEL hoses all around and Brembo sintered pads for front and high carbon content Brembo for rear. Just not sure what toupgrade frontz too. Im between EBC wavy discs or Brembo upgrade discs (high carbon content stainless steel), and I'm leaning towards the Brembo since wavy discs aren't worth a w*** it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

szatan84 wrote: »
    ...(high carbon content stainless steel)...

Ductile iron be better, hi! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

I'd say you'll get enough of an upgrade due to the sintered pads and the HEL lines being put on.

From reading online about sintered pads there is a divide on whether they eat your discs or not, this may contribute to your decision on getting upgrade discs?

• Advertisement

RosieJoe wrote: »
    I'd say you'll get enough of an upgrade due to the sintered pads and the HEL lines being put on.

From reading online about sintered pads there is a divide on whether they eat your discs or not, this may contribute to your decision on getting upgrade discs?
    It probably would since brembo discs are 250 € a piece and u need 2. I dont wont to upgrade my brakes to find out they're worn in 6 month or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

neither statement is true imo

can I ask why are you changing discs? guessing reached min thickness?

Wossack wrote: »
    neither statement is true imo

can I ask why are you changing discs? guessing reached min thickness?
    One is newer then the other and they have different thickness due to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

ah gotcha

tbh, I dont think you'll see a huge increase in your braking performance (I'd upgrade my lines or master cylinder before upgrading discs), but if its for maintenance reasons, I say go for it. EBC/Brembo upgrade kits prob cheaper then OEM replacements :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

szatan84 wrote: »
    One is newer then the other and they have different thickness due to that.

Doesn't matter so long as they are inside service limits - pads only rest in the same place relative to disc surface.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Discs make the least difference out of everything once you aren't using rubbish ones. If you want better brakes just buy stock discs and get a brembo master cylinder with decent pads/lines - it's what most race bikes the world over use.

Advertisement