Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CO alarm going off. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ONE

• 05-02-2014 5:27pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Was called to a neighbours house last night because they had a persistent CO alarm. There was no obvious combustion taking place anywhere in the house. The had a log pile in the rarely used open fireplace. I asked if they thought there might be smouldering ash under them and they said no (not used since Christmas), but they had installed a chimney balloon 2 days ago. While investigating the logpile, I noticed a little heat from the back boiler. They said that it had always been that way when the oil heating was on. I removed the logpile (some of the logs were warm) and closed the window and doors. Brought back the CO alarm from the kitchen and left it there with room closed up in normal fashion for nearly an hour and no problem. (We were careful to mind ourselves mind the kitchen/dining room)
    I didn't have my analyser, but then brought the CO alarm out the removed logs in the shed and lo and behold, off it went again.

I just post this as a cautionary tale. It is hard to be careful enough and foresee everything.

292460.jpg

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Wearb wrote: »
    Was called to a neighbours house last night because they had a persistent CO alarm. There was no obvious combustion taking place anywhere in the house. The had a log pile in the rarely used open fireplace. I asked if they thought there might be smouldering ash under them and they said no (not used since Christmas), but they had installed a chimney balloon 2 days ago. While investigating the logpile, I noticed a little heat from the back boiler. They said that it had always been that way when the oil heating was on. I removed the logpile (some of the logs were warm) and closed the window and doors. Brought back the CO alarm from the kitchen and left it there with room closed up in normal fashion for nearly an hour and no problem. (We were careful to mind ourselves mind the kitchen/dining room)
    I didn't have my analyser, but then brought the CO alarm out the removed logs in the shed and lo and behold, off it went again.

I just post this as a cautionary tale. It is hard to be careful enough and foresee everything.

292460.jpg
    You should do a co room test with your analyser wearb. It'd be interesting to see how many ppm is being produced

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    You should do a co room test with your analyser wearb. It'd be interesting to see how many ppm is being produced

Just got it back today after new cell and calibration. Not much point in doing test now with logs removed. I would have really liked to have had it at the time. Isn't that just typical that the only time I was ever asked to check out something like this, my analyser was away.
    If I had had it, he might have offered me a few bob instead of coffee and digestives :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

Just got it back today after new cell and calibration. Not much point in doing test now with logs removed. I would have really liked to have had it at the time. Isn't that just typical that the only time I was ever asked to check out something like this, my analyser was away.
    If I had had it, he might have offered me a few bob instead of coffee and digestives :(

wer they even chocolate digestives :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Very strange.
    You only get co from something burning. Logs won't burn from hot water in back boiler IMHO
    The balloon has me suspicious as to ask if the fireplace backs onto a neighbours fire ?
    Chimney leaking across maybe ?

Puzzle is. Do warm logs absorbes co ??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

balloon blocks chimney

remove ballon problem solved

• Advertisement

scudo2 wrote: »
    Very strange.
    You only get co from something burning. Logs won't burn from hot water in back boiler IMHO
    The balloon has me suspicious as to ask if the fireplace backs onto a neighbours fire ?
    Chimney leaking across maybe ?

Puzzle is. Do warm logs absorbes co ??

Stored Wood pellets give off CO so maybe warm logs too. Wearb get a hold of those logs and do a few experiments at home!!

Stored Wood pellets give off CO so maybe warm logs too. Wearb get a hold of those logs and do a few experiments at home!!

A few well aired solid logs ?
    Sets off alarm that is a distance away!

I'd suspect cracked chimney.

Remove logs and leave co alarm in the grate while neighbours light fire, leave balloon in place but be safety conscious while doing test. Or test with FGA

If it was the logs then I'll never walk in the woods on a hot day again.

The only sure way is to do a few tests. A room test using the analyser with and without the logs.

Funny you should say that DTP. Just back from there. I was worried in case I missed something. I did a room test with analyser set for flueless space heater and there is no CO.
    I cant ask them to put logs back in to fireplace to experiment with them.

Scudo! As already said, wood pellets have been known to give off CO without even the presence of heat.

Jim! no they were ordinary digestives, so not even doing well there :(

sawdoubters! Doh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭anuprising

rookie mistake

all CO alarms are prone to false positives or cross sensitivity ,from hydrogen but the number one culprit is humidity . your neighbours installed a chimney balloon 2 days previous immediately affecting the humidity in the room , this happens as the temperature rises , like when the heating is on (back boiler) and can have different readings at different areas of the same room depending on the temperature and humidity in a given spot .

every analyser is also prone to false positive , humidity can set off gas detection on them also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

anuprising wrote: »
    rookie mistake

all CO alarms are prone to false positives or cross sensitivity ,from hydrogen but the number one culprit is humidity . your neighbours installed a chimney balloon 2 days previous immediately affecting the humidity in the room , this happens as the temperature rises , like when the heating is on (back boiler) and can have different readings at different areas of the same room depending on the temperature and humidity in a given spot .

every analyser is also prone to false positive , humidity can set off gas detection on them also
    totall ot but saw this and was curious - can it do that to a wire
    d smoke detector in a house? ours goes off seemingly randomly, with the front door wide open yesterday and it is 2 meters from it. ?

lynski wrote: »
    totall ot but saw this and was curious - can it do that to a wire
    d smoke detector in a house? ours goes off seemingly randomly, with the front door wide open yesterday and it is 2 meters from it. ?

humidity also causes false positives in smoke alarms but im not familiar with them, only CO and gas detection

humidity also causes false positives in smoke alarms but im not familiar with them, only CO and gas detection

So how do you recognise a false positive? You can not sssume false alarm. Action has to be taken. How do you explain alarm not going off since logs removed?

I would like to understand this if you wouldn't mind explaining it please.

Thanks for that. I have been reading a bit and I am not fully convinced that I had a false alarm at neighbours. Same conditions (-logs) prevailed there last night and no alarm. Heating was on for same amount of time, same two people, balloon in place, co alarm in same position, doors and windows closed.
    Hard to figure it out.

I had just brought back the FGA that I had borrowed a few hours before I was called. I was without an FGA for only a few hours the whole year and it had to happen during that period.

don't know weather you went to any of the bord gais / rgi/ ei electronics information nights but the best advice given that night was to check with customers what has changed recently in the house . in your case it was a chimney balloon .
    logs that are not burning dont give off CO - they can store Co2 but have to burn the o2 to produce CO -
    no combustion took place so Logic and deduction tells me it was a false positive from either Co2 or humidity

don't know weather you went to any of the bord gais / rgi/ ei electronics information nights but the best advice given that night was to check with customers what has changed recently in the house . in your case it was a chimney balloon .
    logs that are not burning dont give off CO - they can store Co2 but have to burn the o2 to produce CO -
    no combustion took place so Logic and deduction tells me it was a false positive from either Co2 or humidity

Thanks for bearing with me on this one.

If I accept that logs in that state doesn't give off CO, how do I square that with wood pellets in a colder state giving off CO?

Thanks for bearing with me on this one.

If I accept that logs in that state doesn't give off CO, how do I square that with wood pellets in a colder state giving off CO?

Can you get a hold of those very logs?

Can you get a hold of those very logs?

I expect they are still where I left them and if so I would have no trouble getting them. Do you have some ideas?

I expect they are still where I left them and if so I would have no trouble getting them. Do you have some ideas?

Maybe bring them home, leave them in a small room against a hot rad and turn on yer analyser to co room test after a while

• Advertisement

Maybe bring them home, leave them in a small room against a hot rad and turn on yer analyser to co room test after a while

I did think of doing that. It would be difficult to recreate the same confined conditions as existed in the fireplace with chimney balloon. They would have to almost boxed in at the top and sides to trap the heat around them. I will give it some more thought.

I did think of doing that. It would be difficult to recreate the same confined conditions as existed in the fireplace with chimney balloon. They would have to almost boxed in at the top and sides to trap the heat around them. I will give it some more thought.[/quote
    Is say if they're left for a few hours to heat up then do the test you should get some CO

if you put the logs in a shed , did the shed have any paint /paint stripper , turpentine , white spirits , petrol lawn mower in it ? all these can give false positives .
    a carbon monoxide detector has an electrochemical cell so is prone to picking up levels of vapour chemical that send the electro signal to sound the alarm
    just a thought

if you put the logs in a shed , did the shed have any paint /paint stripper , turpentine , white spirits , petrol lawn mower in it ? all these can give false positives .
    a carbon monoxide detector has an electrochemical cell so is prone to picking up levels of vapour chemical that send the electro signal to sound the alarm
    just a thought

I didn't check for those things, but there was a lot of stuff there. There was probably a lot of the stuff you mentioned, along with lots more logs. This shed is tidier than most of my rooms. He is like that and everything is shelved out and in its place. If he has any petrol, spirit, etc. , it will be most certainly sealed in its container.

A lot of people store logs in their shed/garage. This is the first time I have come across this sort of alarm and would be surprised if those storing conditions are to blame. However your question does give cause for other areas of investigation into this issue. I will call around on Saturday and have a good look around the shed and see how hot the back boiler does get. I may have been there after the room stat had turned off the oil boiler for a while and the back-boiler may get hotter than I observed at the time.

I had been discussing this thread with my neighbours and as they were going out last night he suggested that I could try and recreate the scenario if I wanted to. I accepted and brought back in the same logs, checked the balloon was in place. I had a co monitor from my house also just to be sure. I watched a film and then ran a room test. Peak co after 30 minutes was 3 ppm.

I know that it wasn't a very scientific setup. Maybe the wood needed to be there for weeks with open flue. Maybe it needed fresh wood. Or maybe as has been already said here, it was just simply a false alarm.

Toughest part was when asked if the logs could be left in the fireplace. I had to hedge my bets and say that if it was in my house, I would get a second co alarm before putting the logs back. I also suggested getting the heating back boiler sorted sometime. That will not be an easy job and probably will not be done in the near future.

Amyway that's hopefully the end of co alarms there.

Meant to add FYI that at times the back boiler got almost as hot as radiator. Also house is a detached bungalow in the countryside.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

The logs could well have caused it, same as DPT said, producing CO as the fatty acids biodegrade with the heat (this is what they believe is happening to wood pellets also, but all studies are not in yet)

I will pass this one onto EI electronics though, just even to get further info, they are always interested in that kind of stuff.

DGOBS wrote: »
    The logs could well have caused it, same as DPT said, producing CO as the fatty acids biodegrade with the heat (this is what they believe is happening to wood pellets also, but all studies are not in yet)

I will pass this one onto EI electronics though, just even to get further info, they are always interested in that kind of stuff.

Thanks. I look forward to it being discussed further. It seems also that heat is not necessary for the production of CO in confined spaces.

After reading a lot about it during the last week (great video produced by the Swedes), I have come to understand that with logs in confined spaces, that O2 depletion is the high risk factor and with pellets its high CO, in fact CO in the thousand ppm. Concentrations that can kill with one breath. Now there is a sobering thought.
    The Swedes (I think, or some of the EU countries) have a huge research programme to try and understand the process. They believe that numerous deaths are caused every year by wood stored in confined spaces.

Yes, one study was on cargo vessels transporting wood pellets, they found over the test period levels rose to over 1% in air (.04% being fatal over 3 hours exposure)

DGOBS wrote: »
    Yes, one study was on cargo vessels transporting wood pellets, they found over the test period levels rose to over 1% in air (.04% being fatal over 3 hours exposure)

And in case anyone is interested, 1% = 10,000 ppm and we get (rightly) worried at anything nearing 100 ppm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

And in case anyone is interested, 1% = 10,000 ppm and we get (rightly) worried at anything nearing 100 ppm

Room evacuation is 10ppm

Above 30ppm is an evacuation limit
    CO alarms must react at level max 53ppm
    (Within a give period)
    10ppm over a 8hr test in a room with appliance warrants appliance shutdown
    People would be symptomatic at 100ppm

shane0007 wrote: »
    Room evacuation is 10ppm

Sorry, I can see that I didn't make my sentence clearer. i meant here on the P+H forum regarding heating appliances. Seeing that we are discussing co levels inside a house, I should have been more careful.

thanks for picking up on it.

10ppm is appliance shut down
    30ppm is evacuation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Sorry, I can see that I didn't make my sentence clearer. i meant here on the P+H forum regarding heating appliances. Seeing that we are discussing co levels inside a house, I should have been more careful.

thanks for picking up on it.

Wasn't having a go. I was just adding to your post.

shane0007 wrote: »
    Wasn't having a go. I was just adding to your post.

I know! That is why I replied with a thank-you.

• Advertisement

Jesus. I've come across lots of boiler huts with the loads of ( warm !! ) timber drying out in them also !!!!

Needless to say I pointed out the fire risk but haden't any idea about a co risk.

One was even in a basement of an old house with a few tons of logs. It had an old Unidare, Selectos burner, broken asbestos flue + oil leaking every where.
    Luckily it was one that I cut the wires and walked away from. It wasn't a case of me overacting, as I pointed out the dangers 3 years previously and refused to service it then.

Money was not an issue but brain cells were, for the client, that is.

Thanks again Wearb

Advertisement