Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how much headroom for a bunk?

Options
  • 05-02-2014 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

I keep thinking it would be a good idea to put my 12yo up on a bunk but everyone tells me the horizontal support we have currently would be too close to the ceiling.. Probably is true. What is the minimum amount of headroom needed? Does anyone have a really cramped bunk?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have seen caravans with triple bunks in them, the bottom one being just off the floor and the other two spaced above them.
    Try sitting your child on the floor and measuring from the floor to their head.
    Would they be able to sit up in bed?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭outstation42

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I have seen caravans with triple bunks in them, the bottom one being just off the floor and the other two spaced above them.
    Try sitting your child on the floor and measuring from the floor to their head.
    Would they be able to sit up in bed?
    If he was a pixie he might be able to ;) Its not above another bed, its above the seating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

You need to be able to turn over in bunk for an adult thats about 20 inches even in submarines thats the minimum you'll see. If they're a small 12 year old you might get away with less, measure their shoulder width and add for growth. We had an old dodge van that had about 14 inches and by 7 or 8 it was too claustrophobic.

It's around a foot... He's not small but is, for now, slim. He wouldn't need much of a mattress but probably too short, yes. We could overhang the horizontal slightly but it'd be more complicated. He's currently on the floor in front of the 'kitchen' and I'dllike him out of the way! Across top of facing seats probably more sensible but puts him in a domineering position and would need putting away each morning...

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

I keep thinking it would be a good idea to put my 12yo up on a bunk but everyone tells me the horizontal support we have currently would be too close to the ceiling.. Probably is true. What is the minimum amount of headroom needed? Does anyone have a really cramped bunk?

I would be more of the mind what would comfortable for your 12 yr old not what you can squeeze him into?

• Advertisement

m8 wrote: »
    I would be more of the mind what would comfortable for your 12 yr old not what you can squeeze him into?
    Ah, what a superior being you are then ;) An easy way to get him off the floor means he is, well, off the floor. There are another 5 of us to accommodate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Ah, what a superior being you are then ;) An easy way to get him off the floor means he is, well, off the floor. There are another 5 of us to accommodate.

Across the cab doors should be fine if he's a skinny thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

We're a bus (mini coach conversion) so its a bit different- we have stairs on one side at front and only the one front seat. I have thought about putting one of those camp tables that have one long wide leg each side and having one up (on seat) and one down (in stairwell) but haven't had a chance to play with one- we don't have one and don't want to buy if it won't work.... Outside Woodies now though, maybe I could buy and return if no good...?

Advertisement