Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transition year option choice

• 05-02-2014 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Help me please!!
    What should I do , I have a list of option for me to choose but I love all them so advice please, I can pick three out of 4
    so vote please of which three I should take for leaving cert. Not considering what I want to do in future.
    Biology, business, chemistry and art

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Leaving out business would probably have LEAST effect on course entry, but leave out the one you like least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

Take a look at this website - some useful information on it:
    http://www.careersportal.ie/ed_training/ed_lc_subjects.php?s_course_title=&s_CAO_code=&s_college=DCU&userid=0&token=b4b147bc522828731f1a016bfa72c073&menu_parent_id=2&ed_sub_cat_id=7#.UvKMg4VVd0k

I study each of the subjects above and there really are pros and cons to each. For instance, biology has quite a bit of learning involved, art has such a low 'A' rate (number of As in the leaving cert), chemistry has a really picky marking scheme and business, the technique can be difficult to master. Choose whichever subjects you enjoy but also take the grades into account, especially if you're aiming for points. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Helenm98

Thank you everyone :)
    Also do yous know any good website that has notes of the 4 subjects so then I can see if I'm able for it and so I can see which interest me more. :)
    thank you
    I'm glad to see all the lovely and helpful comments and please give more :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Emlie

I do biology and art. Firstly i am not a science person at all and i suppose you could say i was forced into picking it. However its definitely a nice change to writing essays all the time and in that way i think it balances art well. If you are serious in a science career or are quite sciency perhaps really consider chem. Not in a billion years would i ever consider choosing chemistry because i am more creative and zero interest in a science career. Some biology chapters are kinda interesting and 30% or so is diagrams so i like that part. Art and bio really are as obvious completely different but in a way thats a good thing. I don't do business and really it not something ive ever been interested in. But its what u like at the end of the day

Emlie wrote: »
    I do biology and art. Firstly i am not a science person at all and i suppose you could say i was forced into picking it. However its definitely a nice change to writing essays all the time and in that way i think it balances art well. If you are serious in a science career or are quite sciency perhaps really consider chem. Not in a billion years would i ever consider choosing chemistry because i am more creative and zero interest in a science career. Some biology chapters are kinda interesting and 30% or so is diagrams so i like that part. Art and bio really are as obvious completely different but in a way thats a good thing. I don't do business and really it not something ive ever been interested in. But its what u like at the end of the day

thanks , I'm so like you but I thinking about the points and I think getting an A in art is hard to achieve , so would you mind giving me some idea what art is like and also all our art teacher in our school is so irresponsible so I'm afraid that I won't be able to learn anything from the art teachers , so is selfstudy would be ok?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭user.name

Lc subjects can be quite different. I never had an interest in science but I managed a b1 in bio in the lc, I just learned most of the course off, I requires some understanding but its mostly learning off information. I also did art. Its nice having a number of separate projects that can give an overall grade. I found that if you want to get high points out of art you need to be interested and good at it. Also the art history I found to be horrible but its down to what interests you. I never did business or chemistry but from what I know is that chemistry requires a lot more understanding than bio. Business I guess would be more learning off the course, that was what I was told anyway.

In relation to entry requirements for college you don't need any specific subjects for business, law or any 'arts' course, I'm doing law and business now. The only courses that require science subjects would be nursing, science (of course), health, some sport etc some may even require two science subjects like med. good look in whatever you pick but just note that what you do in college does not always depend on what you are doing in the lc. What I'm studying now has nothing to do with it. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Emlie

Helenm98 wrote: »
    thanks , I'm so like you but I thinking about the points and I think getting an A in art is hard to achieve , so would you mind giving me some idea what art is like and also all our art teacher in our school is so irresponsible so I'm afraid that I won't be able to learn anything from the art teachers , so is self-study would be ok?

Yea people getting an A (particularly A1) in art isn't really such a heard of thing...but if you think about it like this: If you hated chemistry and picked it, were you really going to do so well in it anyways?

Self-study: When I'm writing art history essays (which can be a real pain!) I'm always using the internet to find extra bits of information or new ways of describing things. We do use an art book in class which is quite good, but really its only a guide. I find a lot about putting an essay together is really doing a good bit of extra research yourself. An examiner obviously won't appreciate a pile of essays exactly identical to each other, so you need to make yours stand out as much as possible. In that way, a lot of art history is self-study and finding out new things. Our teacher does give out handouts but not a lot. Its not like biology where all the notes are just given to you. (In that way, that's how I've learned to like bio.)

Art essays are usually 3-5 pages in length and you have to include good diagrams as well (real-life images you learn off and draw.) You have to write three essays in total but I'm not fully aware of the exam layout.

I think Art History is in general, quite interesting (again some people absolutely despise it, maybe I might next year.) I'm in 5th year so the only topics I've covered are The Bronze Age, Stone Age and Iron Age. Stone Age = not so fun...but I like the Iron Age. Right now, we're starting the Georgian period.

I have two double practical classes and one single Art History a week.

Practical modules we've done so far:
    1. Still Life - I am not certain but I think in the exam you have 2.5 hours for this section. You have to draw three objects arranged in some interesting way.
    2. A poster advertising the Winter Solstice at Newgrange - I love painting but I absolutely hate lettering! In the exam you have to do a craft/ design option which you probably know. You can do a poster for this.
    3. Life drawing

We'll also be doing a bit of lino printing and puppetry before the end of the year, which I think sounds really good and interesting!

----> A lot of art history is really just reading and learning your notes/info every week, as well as putting in a bit of extra research that will help you in writing your essays. However, i'm not so sure about the practical aspect. You kind of need a good teacher to get ideas, good techniques

I hope this all sounds clear...:P (probably not)

Emlie wrote: »
    Yea people getting an A (particularly A1) in art isn't really such a heard of thing...but if you think about it like this: If you hated chemistry and picked it, were you really going to do so well in it anyways?

Self-study: When I'm writing art history essays (which can be a real pain!) I'm always using the internet to find extra bits of information or new ways of describing things. We do use an art book in class which is quite good, but really its only a guide. I find a lot about putting an essay together is really doing a good bit of extra research yourself. An examiner obviously won't appreciate a pile of essays exactly identical to each other, so you need to make yours stand out as much as possible. In that way, a lot of art history is self-study and finding out new things. Our teacher does give out handouts but not a lot. Its not like biology where all the notes are just given to you. (In that way, that's how I've learned to like bio.)

Art essays are usually 3-5 pages in length and you have to include good diagrams as well (real-life images you learn off and draw.) You have to write three essays in total but I'm not fully aware of the exam layout.

I think Art History is in general, quite interesting (again some people absolutely despise it, maybe I might next year.) I'm in 5th year so the only topics I've covered are The Bronze Age, Stone Age and Iron Age. Stone Age = not so fun...but I like the Iron Age. Right now, we're starting the Georgian period.

I have two double practical classes and one single Art History a week.

Practical modules we've done so far:
    1. Still Life - I am not certain but I think in the exam you have 2.5 hours for this section. You have to draw three objects arranged in some interesting way.
    2. A poster advertising the Winter Solstice at Newgrange - I love painting but I absolutely hate lettering! In the exam you have to do a craft/ design option which you probably know. You can do a poster for this.
    3. Life drawing

We'll also be doing a bit of lino printing and puppetry before the end of the year, which I think sounds really good and interesting!

----> A lot of art history is really just reading and learning your notes/info every week, as well as putting in a bit of extra research that will help you in writing your essays. However, i'm not so sure about the practical aspect. You kind of need a good teacher to get ideas, good techniques

I hope this all sounds clear...:P (probably not)
    Thanks a mil , everything you said is very useful and clear but problem still is that my art teacher is actually irresponsible, all she does is sit down with her laptop and ignores us , I had her for junior cert and she's most likey to teach LC art this year , I dislike so much , what do you think?

Hi guys
    I've made my decisions and I choose
    1.Biology
    2.art
    3.business
    4.chemistry
    5.history
    6.geography

IDK what 3subjects will i get but I'll be glad and happy with whatever us given to me cuz i tried my best in choosing even i have a choosingphobia so a good tap on my shoulders :D

Thank you all of your helping and giving me your opinions, thank you , phew its over , really do hope i won't change my mind hehe.. I DID MY BEST :D:D

Hi guys
    I got my options , I got business, biology and art.
    I'm happy that I got business and biology but I'm still not sure about art so i want a vote on which is easier art or history , not considering what i want to do in future or have interest in , i got As for both of them so its really hard to choose, i would like some information and advices. I'm kinda aiming for points and trying to choose an easier subject to study. :)

Thank you

• Advertisement
Advertisement